Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Maybe because they know those that live in north Edmond will still drive all the way to 15th and Santa Fe for "Rock Bottom Prices" to grocery shop? There isn't another large discount grocery-only store in Edmond to compete with Crest. No Winco, No Buy For Less.

Homeland, Uptown, and SuperTarget all cater to a shopper in a different mindset. From the responses on this board, it is also easy to see the number of people in Edmond that simply avoid Walmart.

I suspect they will end up selling this land in a few years as it will be a lot more valuable. They can then build somewhere else around this area a couple north or south and likely achieve the same goal. I just hope if that scenario does in fact play out, we don't see a cheesy strip mall here.

3. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Has anyone heard what is going into the strip mall that is next door to Starbucks at Covell and I35? Hopefully, not a doughnut shop or nail salon!
    Also, any more news about the retail development in that area? I hope it's like Chisholm Creek or the University Park in Norman. They are really different but both seem pretty well designed to me.

4. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Halloweenblonde16 View Post
    Has anyone heard what is going into the strip mall that is next door to Starbucks at Covell and I35? Hopefully, not a doughnut shop or nail salon!
    Also, any more news about the retail development in that area? I hope it's like Chisholm Creek or the University Park in Norman. They are really different but both seem pretty well designed to me.
    I would guess a donut shop or dry cleaners on the east end because they've built a drive thru. But it's just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Maybe because they know those that live in north Edmond will still drive all the way to 15th and Santa Fe for "Rock Bottom Prices" to grocery shop? There isn't another large discount grocery-only store in Edmond to compete with Crest. No Winco, No Buy For Less.

Homeland, Uptown, and SuperTarget all cater to a shopper in a different mindset. From the responses on this board, it is also easy to see the number of people in Edmond that simply avoid Walmart.
    I know this is a few months old, but every Walmart I've been to in or near Edmond is usually pretty full . . . along with every other grocery store in town it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyV View Post
    I know this is a few months old, but every Walmart I've been to in or near Edmond is usually pretty full . . . along with every other grocery store in town it seems.
    Edmond city limits have over 91,000+ residents with the latest population numbers, throw in those within South Guthrie and Northwest OKC utilities, but consider themselves "Edmond" due to proximity of city limits, there are probably well over 125,000+ that would use an Edmond grocery store - Despite those that avoid Walmart, there are still plenty who seek out their services.

Edmond City Limits - Full Service Grocery Stores = 7
    Walmart Supercenter - I35 and 15th
    Walmart Supercenter - Danforth and Santa Fe
    SuperTARGET - 2nd and Bryant
    Walmart Neighborhood - 2nd and Bryant
    Uptown Grocery - Covell and Kelly
    Homeland - Danforth and Bryant
    Crest - 15th and Santa Fe

7 Stores - Average of 1 store per 15,000-20,000 residents. -

To put that into perspective, Guthrie has 11,500 residents and has two full services stores (Walmart and Homeland/Cash Saver) - 5,700 residents per store.

Edmond city limits have over 91,000+ residents with the latest population numbers, throw in those within South Guthrie and Northwest OKC utilities, but consider themselves "Edmond" due to proximity of city limits, there are probably well over 125,000+ that would use an Edmond grocery store - Despite those that avoid Walmart, there are still plenty who seek out their services.

To put that into perspective, Guthrie has 11,500 residents and has two full services stores (Walmart and Homeland/Cash Saver) - 5,700 residents per store.
    Your list is missing Sprouts, Aldi, Natural Grocers, and Sam’s Club. You could even include La Perla, Sabri Foods, and 5 Braum’s stores.

I’ll drive the extra mile to go visit the Danforth Walmart rather than the Penn & Memorial Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    I’ll drive the extra mile to go visit the Danforth Walmart rather than the Penn & Memorial Walmart.
    Danforth Walmart?

Quote Originally Posted by jjjumper View Post
    Your list is missing Sprouts, Aldi, Natural Grocers, and Sam’s Club. You could even include La Perla, Sabri Foods, and 5 Braum’s stores.
    I was talking exclusively about Full Service Grocery Stores

If you want to include Braums as grocery stores, might as well include OnCue or Walgreens, they sell Milk, Eggs, Ice Cream, Cereal, Bread, Bananas, and Eggs too

Sprouts, Aldi, and Natural Grocers do carry some core basics and specialty items, but are much smaller stores compared to the typical "one-stop" grocery store.

Edmond did have two other Homeland stores, until they closed in the last few years. With the growing population of Edmond, it would make sense to add a few more full size (80,000+ sq ft.) stores. A new Winco is being built at Penn and Memorial, but is quite a journey with Edmond's grid and traffic light congestion for those who live north of 33rd or east of Santa Fe.

At one time, Reasor's was looking to expand from Tulsa/NE Oklahoma to Edmond with a store at 15th and Bryant, but the deal fell through I believe because of concerns of a 24 hour store and its proximity to neighborhoods?

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Danforth Walmart?
    Danforth and Santa Fe - Walmart Supercenter.

Scottk you forget about adding the people east of Edmond. I'm thinking those east of the city limits and Luther since they do not have a grocery store or Welston and people north and south of those areas. I am sure they travel to Edmond to shop. I would guess a fair number of them work in Edmond or the Okc area and do shop Edmond on the way home. There are also the areas just south of Memorial rd to say 63 rd st in teh I-35 area also that I would guess would shop Edmond. Maybe a few north of Guthrie in the area of Mulhall/Orlando area that work in the City. Maybe a few Guthrie people who want more then those two stores have to offer.

SHOWBIZ CINEMAS TO RAISE WALLS OF EDMOND BOWLING, MOVIES AND MORE! ENTERTAINMENT CENTER THIS WEEK

Construction progress for new entertainment destination on I-35 & Covell remains on schedule for November 2018 opening

EDMOND, Okla., (July 17, 2018) - The ShowBiz Cinemas Entertainment Center on the northwest corner of I-35 and Covell will start to take shape this week as a crane lifts the building’s massive concrete wall panels into place.

ShowBiz Cinemas will start raising the building’s smaller, interior wall panels on Wednesday and will continue the wall raising process through Monday, July 23rd when the largest 50-foot exterior wall panels are raised into place by crane.

This ShowBiz Cinemas Bowling, Movies and More! Entertainment Center is scheduled to open to the public by Thanksgiving 2018 and will feature 14 boutique bowling lanes; a lane side café with expansive food and drink options; 10 state-of-the art movie screens with electric leather recliner seating; full bar with beer, wine and cocktails; cutting edge modern arcade with redemption center; multiple party rooms for every occasion; and an SDX, Superior Digital Experience, auditorium featuring a 70-foot, wall- to-wall, ceiling-to-floor screen, 4K digital projection and immersive Dolby Atmos surround sound.

We definitely have choices . . .

Isn't having a nail salon and either a donut shop or goodwill in every strip center a law in Edmond/NW OKC?

UGH! I noticed one of the first tenants at the small retails space between Starbucks and Braums is a....a....a... nail salon! Of course, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    UGH! I noticed one of the first tenants at the small retails space between Starbucks and Braums is a....a....a... nail salon! Of course, lol.
    We have a new strip mall development going up as you head into Yukon, at Rt66 and Sara Rd. The first thing opening is a nail salon as well. My wife commented on how can there possibly be demand for more nail salons when we drove past the other night.

The need must be great in the Edmond area for: nail salons; donuts shops and dry cleaners when it comes to retail space. But I wonder at what point is there a saturation of such businesses. I cannot imagine what lease/rent would be in this particular location in Edmond. I suspect you'd have to do a lot of nails and sale a ton of donuts to pay for your space.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    We have a new strip mall development going up as you head into Yukon, at Rt66 and Sara Rd. The first thing opening is a nail salon as well. My wife commented on how can there possibly be demand for more nail salons when we drove past the other night.

My family did a lot of strip mall development back in the 80's. The thing about these type of businesses mentioned, while not sexy, the are commoditized. Basically, except for the gimmick options like Voodoo Donuts, most strip mall donut places are pretty much interchangeable. Just like dry cleaners and nail salons. So it's about location and convenience. This makes these types of shops easy to get to infill a new center. Ideally, yes, you want a strong anchor, and some unique shops. Not every complex can be Chisholm Creek. Strip malls are basically just a real estate game. Filled with generic junk is better than empty.

21. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyV View Post
    A realtor friend of mine told me there's a rumor that Whole Foods is looking at the future big commercial development at I35 and Covell. Fingers crossed everyone!!!

I don't have the article but I read on NewsOKm IIRC, that the opening date for ShowBiz Cinema is December 14th or somewhere around that.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I don't have the article but I read on NewsOKm IIRC, that the opening date for ShowBiz Cinema is December 14th or somewhere around that.
    Dec. 14? As in 2 weeks? That's awesome! I thought it'd be mid-next year or something. I guess i should drive over to that area!

A realtor friend of mine told me there's a rumor that Whole Foods is looking at the future big commercial development at I35 and Covell. Fingers crossed everyone!!!
    What "future big commercial development" is coming to this area where a WF would fit in?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    What "future big commercial development" is coming to this area where a WF would fit in?

I hear Qdoba is coming...they make a big burrito! ��

Thread Information