Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 78 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151661 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas

Default Re: Dallas

According to a recent study by TomTom, OKC actually shows up at the 47th worse traffic in the Americas. Dallas' traffic has improved in the last decade, so it is down compared to many of its peers.

http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/pdf/20...nualAme-mi.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    According to a recent study by TomTom, OKC actually shows up at the 47th worse traffic in the Americas. Dallas' traffic has improved in the last decade, so it is down compared to many of its peers.

http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/pdf/20...nualAme-mi.pdf
    This seems about right. DFW traffic is just a hair worse than Charlotte's. Metro DFW is three times the size of Charlotte though. They have achieved this by their investment in their infrastructure. It really is remarkable.

I guess that's why DFW traffic doesn't seem that bad to me. After living in Charlotte for three years and dealing with the traffic there, I have come to accept traffic as being a part of living in a big city.

I have lived in many cities, and they all have bad traffic if you have to drive in it every day. San Diego seems to have really easy traffic, but then I only have to drive on about 5 miles of freeway a day. If I had to slog downtown everyday, it would be a different experience.

Blog Entries

Dallas' interstate expressway system is very navigable for a city of its size. The giant loops, mixing bowls, master mixers or mix masters as they call them, can be mesmerizing if you're not familiar with their system. There are probably 8 or 9 loops throughout the I-635, I-35, I-20 spoke wheel that are very impressive and confusing for those who aren't familiar with Dallas. The CB channels are full of discourteous nut cases upon entering Dallas from the outskirts. Stay focused!

I've lived in the Fort Worth & Arlington area; owned a franchise in Dallas, so I'm familiar with that area. My sister lived there for many years. Like all super big cities, you have your share of jerks on the freeways who don't show courtesy toward anyone.

Would like to say that Houston where my cousin (Rev. James T. Porter) lives have motorists who seem to go out of their way to help and extend courtesy especially when they see an out-of-state license plate.

I'll never forget a peak traffic period on I-30 which was manned by about 13 uniform law enforcement officers who appear to be on the door of retirement between Ferguson Road & Loop 12 (Buckner Boulevard) exits , these troopers had stopped an automobile that was in the HOV LANE (must have passenger); there laid on the shoulder of the road a 'blow up doll' taken from the passenger side of the vehicle, the driver was handcuffed and taken from the scene. It was hilarious.

Laramie, I've heard stories about women buying car seats for babies and putting dolls in them just to be able to use the HOV lanes. Never heard about the blow up doll, though. That takes the cake! I wonder if the guy was more upset about being arrested, or about losing his "girlfriend".

I saw article where a guy had a sex doll in his passenger seat and was pulled over and ticketed. This sex doll was of great quality apparently as it was worth north of $15,000. Ill try and find the article. This was awhile back though. If I recall to, it was a replica of Madonna or some other celebrity so he got bonus points for that.

Is the HOV lane that much faster, or do these people do this for publicity? We were there over the weekend, so what we saw wasn't applicable.

I'd say the HOV lanes help. I really like them and wish they'd widen 35 to Norman and include an HOV lane. If I remember rigjt, they were going to have an HOV lane on the 44 in Tulsa but for some reason didn't do it.

I'd say in Dallas during rush hour they do help and car pooling is a good way to commute so you can use them. I also think you can use them if you have an electric car.

Now from what I see in LA, even the HOV lanes get backed up.

Oh man this is so awesome! I really hope OKC gets a highway like this someday.

This outlines plans for expansion of the Central Expressway

http://pdf.plano.gov/agendas/ccpacket/pomp032315.pdf

Here's a cool map of what the street car system used to look like in Dallas.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...Q.k0KVsd62supg

Downtown Streetcar expansion

D2 - Phase 1

Construction of the northern segment of D2, known as Phase 1, would allow DART to relieve some congestion in the current CBD transitway mall until the entire second alignment can be built. Under Phase 1, the Orange Line would be rerouted to an alignment that branches off at Victory Station and terminates at a new station serving the Union Station/Convention Center area.

The agency would construct two additional stations: one in the Victory Park district and one near the transit hub comprised of West End Station, CBD West Transfer Center and Rosa Parks Plaza.

DART and the city of Dallas hope to build a central Dallas streetcar link that would connect the Dallas Streetcar line to the M-Line Trolley line, which will soon loop through the Dallas Arts District.

The Orange Line would directly connect the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport and Dallas Love Field with the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center and Omni Dallas Hotel. Regular rail service also would connect the convention center district to the American Airlines Center at Victory Station, replacing supplemental bus service currently provided during major conferences and special events.

Central Dallas Streetcar Link

By mid-2015, both the Dallas Streetcar and the M-Line Trolley Urban Circulator projects (see page 2) will be open. DART is assisting the city of Dallas in the development and review of alternatives for a new streetcar alignment through downtown that would connect the two systems, and by extension, the Dallas Arts District and the Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts District.

This streetcar line through the city center will enhance transit access and capacity within downtown, extending the reach of the DART Rail System. Until the entire D2 alignment is built, expanding the modern streetcar line will serve as a second east-west rail transit connection within the CBD. Also, the location of the streetcar route will impact where the D2 line goes.

- DART Priorities Report 2015

Dart ridership was 92.1 million down 14% from 2013.

- DART Priorities Report 2015

This is cool

In a few months, the Park Lane Starbucks will become the first in North Texas to serve beer and wine, said Michelle Davis, director of marketing at Park Lane. Stores in Starbucks’ new “evenings program” serve beer and wine after 4 p.m. along with appetizers and light meals.

- The Shops at Park Lane adds Forever 21 concept, J. Crew Factory stores | Dallas Morning News

North Texas Housing Market Surge

Denver, Miami and Dallas are leading the country in home price gains.

All three cities saw prices of preowned homes rise by more than 8 percent in January, according to the latest Standard & Poor’s/Case-Shiller Home Price Index.

Dallas-area prices were 8.1 percent higher than in January 2014, according to the closely watched home price report.

Nationwide, prices were up 4.5 percent in the Case-Shiller survey.

“The combination of low interest rates and strong consumer confidence based on solid job growth, cheap oil and low inflation continue to support further increases in home prices,” S&P’s David M. Blitzer said in the report. “Regional patterns in recent months continue: strength in the West and Southwest paced by Denver and Dallas.”

Dallas’ year-over-year price gains in January were the largest since early 2014.

Read more here: Dallas among top U.S. markets for home price increases | Dallas Morning News

As a comparison OKC's went up 3.7%.

- Oklahoma City Home Prices and Home Values | Zillow

Huge mixed-use development for North UT Campus

900,000-square-foot development will include a 32-story residential tower and a 19-story office high-rise.

- Developers promise new Uptown tower project won?t cast a light on nearby neighbors | Dallas Morning News

Turtle Creek Condo Tower | $225 Million | 22 Stories

- Developer retools plans for Turtle Creek condo tower | Dallas Morning News

Picture of the new I-30 bridge by downtown thanks to Dallasite87(Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum)

This thing is going to be beautiful. I really wish they'd construct a massive 5 stack for the I-40/235 interchange and build a new iconic bridge with pedestrian bridge running parallel and high-speed maglev going to Norman running elevated in the middle of I-35.

Dallas’ landmark Ambassador Hotel sells for redevelopment

Developers have purchased a century-old Dallas hotel with plans to restore the property.

The landmark Ambassador Hotel is located just south of downtown Dallas and is one of the city’s oldest surviving residential hotels.

A partnership led by developer Jim Lake Jr. bought the 6-story building located on South Ervay Street across from downtown.

The hotel is next door to Dallas Heritage Village Park and is in an area that is seeing redevelopment.

The Ambassador opened in 1905 as the Majestic Hotel. The building was once considered Dallas’ most luxurious residential property, and was touted as the city’s “first suburban luxury hotel.”

And in the late 1930s the brick and stone

- bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/03/dallas-landmark-ambassador-hotel-sells-for-redevelopment.html/

Dream Hotel in Uptown

A super cool boutique hotel coming to Uptown Dallas.

Plans for an upscale boutique hotel in Uptown are moving forward now that developers have incorporated millions of dollars in suggestions from neighbors and an area residents’ group.

Construction is expected to begin next month on the 128-room Dream Hotel at McKinney Avenue near Bowen Street in Uptown, an investor told The Dallas Morning News Thursday.

The official announcement is expected next week.

Construction of a Dallas Dream hotel originally was expected to begin in January of 2014, with an estimated opening date of April 2015.

The project team spent the additional time adjusting the hotel plans after seeking input from neighboring condo owners and from the Oak Lawn Committee, said investor Abteen Vaziri.
    Renderings

oh, and look at this
    Going underground

To address some concerns about cars and parking, the five-story garage design was amended to move three floors below ground with two stories above. Previously only one story was below ground.

“It’s a little more expensive,” Vaziri said, but noted, “it makes the building overall look better.”
    Why is this such a foreign concept here!?

Read more here: http://www.dallasnews.com/business/r...to-reality.ece

New Office/Retail building coming to Tuttle Creek

The developers of an office project in the works in Dallas’ Turtle Creek neighborhood hope to catch a boost from the boom next door in Uptown.

Prescott Group has purchased a 5.5-acre property next door to the Mansion on Turtle Creek where it plans to build a 14-story, 380,000-square-foot office and retail project.

The development — called 2727 Turtle Creek — is just the latest in a series of new deals in the Oak Lawn market.

- read more here: Turtle Creek office development is among several projects coming to the area north of Uptown | Dallas Morning News

Thread Information