Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

The airport seems pretty gung-ho about getting Gate 11 usable.

Wonder if someone wants it? The only rumor I have heard is AA wants a third gate soon, but that has little to do with Gate 11 unless they took Gate 2 from Frontier and moved Frontier to Gate 11 or 12.

Only thing I can think of, but I don't think AA needs a third gate quite yet.

Will they need a third gate if they rebank DFW?

I don't think OKC would be affected too much since we are a north south city feeding into an east west hub. Meaning we would fit into both east and west banks.

But there are differing thoughts on this, I guess we will find out in the coming months as they roll out a schedule.

Blog Entries

Oh I see

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Please don't confuse the Continental management team with the Continental front line.

No way man, folks like you are why I've loved flying CO since I've been able to make that choice myself.

7. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

My co-founder over at avgeekly.com Keith Cavey was able to get seat 3A on Delta's final DC-9 flight today. You can check out all of his pics and info on our Twitter feed at @AvGeekly or by visiting the webpage (AvGeekly | the weekly fix for AvGeeks).

i'm sure it says in the link, but was it old NW metal?

9. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    i'm sure it says in the link, but was it old NW metal?
    N773NC built in 1977 & flew for North Central, Republic, Northwest, and finally, Delta.

Allegiant departed 590 passengers in November, arrived 549.

They provided 830 departing seats and 830 arriving seats.

71% Outbound LF, 66% arriving.

That's very good for A) New nonstop service B) A new carrier entering a market.

I am anxious to see December's numbers when they become published, seems to be off to a good start.

11. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Not to shabby. Definitely need to get it into the low 90s quickly though if we want them to keep it around.

Also November and December will probably be unprofitable despite the loads. They sold a lot of junk fares. md80s take a lot of fuel to go that distance. Probably around 3,000 gallons.

13. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Also November and December will probably be unprofitable despite the loads. They sold a lot of junk fares. md80s take a lot of fuel to go that distance. Probably around 3,000 gallons.
    Most of their fares are unprofitable. It is all about the vacation packages and other ancillary revenue. Routes that are full of pax that don't buy the extras get dropped very quickly.

Allegiant departed 590 passengers in November, arrived 549.
    Had to laugh when first read this. As not in the aviation business, looking at the departing and arriving numbers...I was thinking what they did with the passengers in flight to make them arrive with less.

Some of the passengers were older and didn't quite make the arrival

16. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Some of the passengers were older and didn't quite make the arrival
    It is Florida.

17. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

If the flights were to PBI, then difference would be even greater.

Should foreign airlines be allowed to fly domestic routes?
    Maybe we could see more airlines in OKC, rather than fewer.
    Try not to laugh too loudly the next time a flight attendant makes one of those pre-flight announcements to thank you for your business and say, "We know you have a choice in airlines." Now that the USA is down to just three major legacy carriers, thanks to the misguided merger between American Airlines and US Airways, it doesn't take a card-carrying frequent flier to know your options are awful. But they don't have to be. Imagine if foreign airlines were allowed to offer flights in the United States, competing head-to-head with our new winged monopolies. "If I could fly Japan Airlines or Cathay Pacific on U.S. domestic routes, at prices comparable to American airlines, I would buy those tickets in a New York minute," says John Strohm, a software engineer from Huntsville, Ala. He's not alone. Once other air travelers have experienced the impressive service some foreign airlines offer, they often wonder: Why can't they do business in the USA? International airlines do operate in this country, of course, but they're forbidden from flying point-to-point destinations domestically. These laws, which are meant to protect American consumers and jobs, are having the exact opposite effect. Eliminating — or at least partially lifting — outdated restrictions could significantly increase competition and improve customer service.

Hawaaiian Airlines, HNL to OKC

Airbus 330 nonstop

what are the odds?

About 1 and a googolplex

I actually like that there was a short layover in LAX on the way to Hawaii, just cause it was nice to get out and really move around and stretch between the three hour and five and a half hour legs of the flight.

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    Hawaaiian Airlines, HNL to OKC

Airbus 330 nonstop

what are the odds?
    LOL. How about Cathay Pacific to HKG or Thai Airways to BKK? Or how about Garuda Indonesia to DPS? Let's keep dreamin the dream!

23. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

^On big jets at OKC, it wasn't too long ago that Sun Country operated charters with DC 10-10s to/from OKC. Well, unless you consider the mid-late 90s a long time ago. I actually saw one land while waiting for a Delta 737-200 on my way to Atlanta back in '96. Back in the day with that old terminal... the DC 10 looked pretty huge with all the narrowbodies surrounding it, not to mention the American Eagle ATRs at the OKC terminal.

24. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    ^On big jets at OKC, it wasn't too long ago that Sun Country operated charters with DC 10-10s to/from OKC. Well, unless you consider the mid-late 90s a long time ago. I actually saw one land while waiting for a Delta 737-200 on my way to Atlanta back in '96. Back in the day with that old terminal... the DC 10 looked pretty huge with all the narrowbodies surrounding it, not to mention the American Eagle ATRs at the OKC terminal.
    I have a better one somewhere, but this is the only one I could find on my PC right now. I'll probably have to rescan it. American F-100 in the foreground. The gate between the two was used by Northwest which always did powerbacks with the DC-9...a lost experience these days. The SY DC-10s were for charters to LAS about 4 times per week if memory serves right (I had just moved here when they were operating). This is the former Concourse B of course from the old observation deck that unfortunately wasn't replaced with another public spotting location.

25. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

^YES!! That's exactly the gate I saw it park at, thank you venture! I guess that's the only gate it could be accomodated at haha. Oh man, I remember that observation tower too, what great fun it was to have a commanding view of the airfield. I remember going there three or four times, seeing the NW DC 9s do powerbacks, and the characteristic whine of the Rolls Royce Tays of the AA F 100s as they came in to gate B2 I believe. I have a whole set of photos I got from that tower when I went spotting back on a hot, 103F day in July of 2003. Even have a photo of a Great Plains DO 328JET in there somewhere. Good times.

In the photo, the AA F 100 is parked at gate B2, B4 was used by NW/NW Airlink, and B6 was another AA gate I believe, and of course also used as a widebody gate when Sun Country brought in its DC 10s. B1 and B3 were assigned to TWA, B7 and B8 were Continental/Continental Express. B5 was another AA.Eagle gate (they both had three combined). In Concourse C, Southwest had C2, C4 and C6, (there was no C5), C1, C3 were Delta/Delta Connection gates and C7 and C8 were United gates.

Thread Information