Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    I"m not that concerned w/ our "little Okie" quakes. Raging Grass / Cedar Tree Brush Wild-Fires are more dangerous, ...far more devastating. Tornadoes here are the primary threat and we manage too. ...so I don't put a little shaking here as a concern.

...my pictures don't even fall off the wall.

I'll like our economy just the way it is. Drill baby drill.
    I wouldn't scoff at it, since the warning comes from two sources that closely study earthquake data. The warning said the 5.6 earthquake in 2011 destroyed 14 homes. But it was centered out in the middle of nowhere. What if the next one that strong is centered under Guthrie or Edmond? At least, I think I'm safe enough to be asleep should a real strong one happen. My only fireplace chimney, if it must topple over in the wrong direction, would fall through my great room, rather than my bedroom.

It's an advisory, not a warning

FROM: USGS releases statement on earthquakes in Oklahoma; not a warning | Kansas First News

The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) has issued a statement that earthquakes have become more frequent in Oklahoma and that more can be expected. They did not issue an “earthquake warning” for that area, just an advisory that more can be expected in the years to come.

The goal of the advisory is to heighten the alert of residents there to the on-going potential of earthquakes. Oklahoma has long been known as a seismic-zone where earthquakes are possible, but there has been a 50% increase in the number of these quakes since 2013.

From October 2013 to April 14th of this year, there have been 183 earthquakes rated 3.0 or higher in Oklahoma, compared to an average of fewer than 2 per year in the two decades prior to that time period.

3. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Table updates and here is also an new chart through the end of yesterday. We are currently on track to hit 5267 earthquakes this year that is up from 3057 last year.

I wonder if that correlates to increased fracking since last year or more millions of gallons of waste water injection.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    It's an advisory, not a warning

FROM: USGS releases statement on earthquakes in Oklahoma; not a warning | Kansas First News

The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) has issued a statement that earthquakes have become more frequent in Oklahoma and that more can be expected. They did not issue an “earthquake warning” for that area, just an advisory that more can be expected in the years to come.

The goal of the advisory is to heighten the alert of residents there to the on-going potential of earthquakes. Oklahoma has long been known as a seismic-zone where earthquakes are possible, but there has been a 50% increase in the number of these quakes since 2013.

From October 2013 to April 14th of this year, there have been 183 earthquakes rated 3.0 or higher in Oklahoma, compared to an average of fewer than 2 per year in the two decades prior to that time period.
    Thanks for the clarification, Bunty. I've had several people mention the warning and I was able to mention this.

^^its on the internet it must be true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    ^^its on the internet it must be true!

Yeah, just like that "earthquake warning".

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Yeah, just like that "earthquake warning".
    As Pink Floyd always says, "I'm STILLLLLLL waiting!"

10. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

As Pink Floyd always says, "I'm STILLLLLLL waiting!"
    From my understanding, earthquake advisories like this are not the same as regular weather advisories we deal with. It isn't for something that is going to happen in a day or 2...just that trends indicated a larger quake is more probable now going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    From my understanding, earthquake advisories like this are not the same as regular weather advisories we deal with. It isn't for something that is going to happen in a day or 2...just that trends indicated a larger quake is more probable now going forward.
    Come on David...that was sarcasm ;-)

13. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Come on David...that was sarcasm ;-)

Bah. I had like 3 hours of sleep last night. :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    I was checking out his YouTube channel and found this comment:

I think all weather men should shout the weather, makes people more likely to remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/dogsandwolves

Okay - back to earthquakes

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I think all weather men should shout the weather, makes people more likely to remember it.
    All you have to do is listen to KFOR or KWTV weather anchors and storm chasers during tornadic weather...

Whole Lotta Quakin' Goin' On
    On May 2, the US Geological Survey and the Oklahoma Geological Survey issued a joint statement about the remarkable increase in the rate of earthquakes that have been occurring in Oklahoma since 2013:

A new U.S. Geological Survey and Oklahoma Geological Survey analysis found that 145 earthquakes of magnitude 3.0 or greater occurred in Oklahoma from January 2014 (through May 2). The previous annual record, set in 2013, was 109 earthquakes, while the long-term average earthquake rate, from 1978 to 2008, was just two magnitude 3.0 or larger earthquakes per year. The statement went on to say:

...analysis suggests that a likely contributing factor to the increase in earthquakes is triggering by waste water injected into deep geologic formations.... OGS studies also indicate that some of the earthquakes in Oklahoma are due to fluid injection.

Stop Fracking Payne County, a local group of concerned citizens will host a public discussion on hydraulic fracturing and its impact on our county at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 13th at the Stillwater Public Library, 1107 S Duck.

Earl Hatley, environmentalist, Grand Riverkeeper, Payne County property owner, and a member of Stop Fracking Payne County will lead the discussion.

“We have organized to educate our community about the detrimental effects of hydraulic fracturing for oil and gas – ‘fracking’ – which is harmful to water supplies, wildlife, and property values,” Hatley said.

The problem in our county has been so severe that the City of Stillwater has issued emergency procedures in the event of an earthquake and the USGS last week issued an earthquake warning for Oklahoma — the first time such a warning has been issued for a state east of the Rockies.

It's not just the earthquakes we should be concerned about, but also our water supply that's being fouled by toxic chemicals that until recently weren't required to be disclosed because oil and gas companies considered them to be trade secrets. We can't live without clean water.

If you want to find out what's going on and what you can do to help, attend this meeting, get involved. Don't just sit on your ass and do nothing!

Dennis Whiteman, Chair
    Payne County Democrats

It was an interesting meeting. A bit over 100 people attended. The group wants a one year moratorium on oil injection wells in Oklahoma. (That probably won't happen for Payne County, until the earthquakes can prove they can get strong enough to damage OSU buildings.) As was said at the meeting, "Don't underestimate the persistence of red dirt resistance."

There is also an earthquake town hall meeting planned for Logan County to be held by state rep. Jason Murphey. I will likely go to it to see how it will be presented from the conservative point of view, unlike the one above. Earthquake Town Hall Meeting

18. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

At this point I don't think any serious look will be done at injection sites and any possible causes for an earthquake until we get a strong enough one to impact the domed building over there on 23rd. Granted something like that could literally knock out two birds with one stone - so to say.

At this point I don't think any serious look will be done at injection sites and any possible causes for an earthquake until we get a strong enough one to impact the domed building over there on 23rd. Granted something like that could literally knock out two birds with one stone - so to say.
    Maybe someone getting killed from falling debris is a requirement to happen before the capitol can be fixed. I'll never understand the legislative reluctance under the state capitol toward getting it fixed. It seems too wrong to borrow the money to do that and even more wrong to withdraw the funds needed from the $500,000,000 rainy day fund. But I guess Oklahoma needs all the millions it can get tucked away to meet the after effects of a future biggest one like a 6.0 earthquake, or worse, in OKC.

I experienced this quake this morning. Being only a 2.6, the noise was more noticeable than the jolt. Being that it was another quake within Stillwater city limits was once again unnerving, but glad again I bought earthquake insurance a couple of months ago. But reckon we will just have to keep living with the suspense hanging over our heads that these baby quakes are slowing leading up to a new big one.

Researchers: Central OK Earthquake Swarm Caused By Disposal Well - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Earthquakes this weekend have been acting up more often than usual in the Stillwater area. Here is response to the editorial above.

STILLWATER, Okla. — Deanna Homer--a local activist

Stillwater

To the editor:

Congratulations on your editorial, “Moratorium on injection wells,” on May 15. You pointed out the U.S. Geological Survey and the Oklahoma Geological Survey reporting on the huge increased frequency of 3.0 or higher earthquakes in Oklahoma. You reported that these geologists “traced the increased activity to wastewater injection.” This wastewater is from oil and gas drilling, including hydraulic fracturing or “fracking.”

As you point out, an easy test of whether the injection wells are causing the earthquakes is to require a six-month moratorium on wastewater injection. If the earthquake activity declines, we Oklahomans will know the cause. We have waited much too long for a moratorium.

I am so impressed with your editorial that I am sending it to Governor Fallin.

Also Facebook commentary from Earl Hatley, an environmental scientist from Oklahoma, who owns land in Payne County:

The Stillwater News Press Editorial also believes a moratorium is in order. Personally I think even one month without high pressure disposal would demonstrate the connection. A few weeks of stoppage would show what we and THEY already know!!! The science on this is 60 years old. I don't want Devon Energy to tear up my land or my neighbors, or ruin the quality of life for anyone else. Moratoriums on home earthquake insurance or raised home insurance premiums is unacceptable while the industry collects their profits!! Why do we pay while they play??!! Soon, it will be the ground and surface water contamination, low availability of drinking water, bad air and health issues. How far will we let them take this in our state? This is happening in other states. Stop the earthquakes now and we prevent the rest of the story. Stop Fracking Payne County!!! Join the Persistence of the Red Dirt Resistance!!

http://www.okgeosurvey1.gov/pages/ea...arthquakes.php
    http://stillwaterweather.com/okareae...kes.php#Recent

http://totallyfracked.com/ The scene at 32nd and Macy Lane near Stillwater
    http://www.businessinsider.com/quake...klahoma-2014-5

Probably for the first time ever, one of Saturday's quakes was centered directly under OSU. Since then, there has definitely been one more in the Stillwater area and possibly one or two others that came later as of noon Sunday.

Pictured is a recently completed oil well located northwest of Stillwater on Lake McMurtry Road. There is a quite similar setup hidden in trees in the middle of Stillwater. What's in the tanks? Oil or water?

To the north and northeast of Stillwater there are at least two or three other wells either just completed or just started. There, they got pipe laid alongside the roads for miles around, apparently water for the wells. When it's encountered, they appear to be routing the pipe through steel tubes buried in the ditches, so it will be interesting to see how that works for drainage when it rains. The scene is the same a short distance to the southeast of Stillwater.

Or many bird brains. Would hate to lose the nice statue on top though.

Thread Information