Widgets Magazine

Thread: It is back

1. Default It is back

The Space Shuttle is in the air, having launched about 9:00 AM central time this morning, July 26, 2005.

I hope this is the first of many successful launches until NASA develops a new generation of Shuttles able to reach Mars.

Question along with discussion. If given the chance, would you fly in the Space Shuttle? Why?

2. Default Re: It is back

Not after seeing the past explosions broadcast live, I wouldn't.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Default Re: It is back

I'd love to go up on the shuttle, being in space is something I've dreamed of since I was a kid watching the apollo missions.

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by workman45
    I'd love to go up on the shuttle, being in space is something I've dreamed of since I was a kid watching the apollo missions.
    Same here. When I was five or six, my parents took my sister and I to Florida on vacation. I'm not sure if he planned it or not, but while we were there, an Apollo launch was scheduled and he took us to see it. It was an amazing experience that I've never forgotten.

5. Default Re: It is back

My best friends were lucky enough to be in Florida yesterday to see the launch and they said it the most amazing experience, one I would love to see - my friend said she bawled like a baby thinking of the previous shuttle but it was awesome nonetheless ....I would have liked to have been there - but I'm too chicken to actually want to be on one when it goes up!

6. Default Re: It is back

Just imagine what it COULD be like. NASA requires a three mile buffer zone. In other words, you have to sit three miles away.

7. Default Re: It is back

Hey with falling debris, I think 3 miles might be too close!:tweeted:

Keith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Karried
    Hey with falling debris, I think 3 miles might be too close!:tweeted:
    Something just doesn't sound right about falling debris from a space shuttle. They spent millions and millions of dollars on the shuttle, and they still have debris flying. I just hope the debris was not a vital part of the Shuttle.

9. Default Re: It is back

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    Something just doesn't sound right about falling debris from a space shuttle. They spent millions and millions of dollars on the shuttle, and they still have debris flying. I just hope the debris was not a vital part of the Shuttle.
    Maybe they planned the debris so they could do their out of craft experiments and lessons.

10. Default Re: It is back

Keith, you are so right:

"Even though the space agency doesn't think the lives of the seven astronauts are in danger, it plans a closer inspection of the spacecraft.
    "You have to admit when you're wrong. We were wrong," said shuttle program manager Bill Parsons (search). "We need to do some work here, and so we're telling you right now, that the ... foam should not have come off. It came off. We've got to go do something about that."

Since the Columbia tragedy, NASA has spent over $1 billion on making sure shuttles would be safe from falling foam debris.

"We won't be able to fly again," until the hazard is removed, Parsons told reporters in a briefing Wednesday evening. "Obviously we have some more work to do."

I would definately go up in the space shuttle given the chance. Flying in planes is the biggest thrill to me, so I could only imagine what that would be like.

Patrick Guest

Too bad the space shuttles will be grounded for quite awhile longer.

Thread Information