Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Embassy Suites OKC NW

Default Re: Nw okc marriott

This property needed something. It's been in serious decline.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    This property needed something. It's been in serious decline.
    I was in it just a couple of months ago and also was in it right after it opened in the 80's and it looks like virtually nothing has been updated in all that time.

Sounds like they are going to combine most the rooms into suites and bring much needed improvements all around, including the meeting space which is large and a great asset to all of NW OKC.

3. Default Re: Nw okc marriott

Can't tell you how good this is for our neighborhood here. This is a banner day for us! A Christmas Miracle--as they say.

4. Default Re: Nw okc marriott

And on the opposite end of the spectrum for the neighborhood: http://newsok.com/northwest-oklahoma...rticle/5574220

While one is saved, the other is in trouble. Would love to have both of these full service hotels flourishing at the same time. Someday.

^

I'm sure that hotel will be fine and will soon reopen.

At the very worst, they'll get a new owner and move on from there.

I had some family visiting and they stayed at the Tower Hotel a few months ago at some ridiculous price of like $44/night on a "hotwire mystery hotel rate" for a couple nights. For the price it is certainly a bargain however the room looked like it had not been updated in 30 years. With a good gut of the bathrooms and replacing the furniture in the room should be pretty nice.

Looks like this hotel will be getting a $13 million makeover and will rebranded as an Embassy Suites.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Looks like this hotel will be getting a $13 million makeover and will rebranded as an Embassy Suites.
    I think Embassy is a great choice for that property, except that it doesn't have an atrium. I always liked the property when I stayed there in the 90s and the Metro needs another Embassy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I think Embassy is a great choice for that property, except that it doesn't have an atrium. I always liked the property when I stayed there in the 90s and the Metro needs another Embassy.
    The atrium makes such a huge difference in those Embassy Suites. It completely sucks up all of the noise. It's great when you're staying with a pretty rowdy group.

Sale closed on this property for $8.25 million.

They already have new management in place and renovations should be starting soon.

After 3 decades, Russell's Lounge closes its doors

As plans are readied for the complete renovation of the former Marriott hotel at 3233 NW Expressway, one of Oklahoma City's longest running bars and clubs has quietly closed its doors.

Last month, the Champion Hotel group purchased the 354-room property from the lender. After opening in the mid-80's as a Marriott, the property lost its flag and had been operating as the Tower Hotel since 2013.

Champion will make a full conversion to the Embassy Suites brand, reducing the room count to 215 and thoroughly reworking all the common areas and meeting spaces.

Hotel management told OKCTalk that since Embassy Suites incorporates a bar into its lobby, the Russell's space will be re-purposed.

The venerable bar and night spot closed its doors for good last Saturday.

Starting with its opening of the hotel in the fall of 1985, Russell's was an OKC sensation with weekend crowds filling the large space and packing the dance floor, particularly on weekends where DJ's and live bands were routinely featured.

A recent photo shows that the club, like the hotel around it, had changed little in more than 32 years.

Entering Russell's from its signature separate side entrance last week, visitors discovered hours limited to weekend nights, cash-only terms and a vastly reduced liquor selection.

Champion Hotels is owned by Champ Patel and operates dozens of hotels in Oklahoma as well as surrounding states. The company recently opened the first TRU hotel in the U.S. On S. Meridian Avenue. TRU is a new brand by Hilton Hotels.

Champion is also ready to start on a large Canopy Hotel in Bricktown and is a partner in the recently purchased former lumberyard property directly north of the now-demolished Producer's Coop.

Renovation to Embassy Suites will be starting soon and the company also plans to build a smaller, limited-service hotel on some of the parking to the north.

The large 13,000 square meeting space will also receive a complete makeover.

Although hotel construction has boomed in Central Oklahoma over the last decade, this hotel is one of the few that feature significant meeting space and considered full-service.

12. Default Re: Nw okc marriott

Thanks for covering the neighborhood, Pete. We are all VERY excited about this new step. Champ will kill it here with this location, meeting space, and new flag. Can't wait to follow the progress.

13. Default Re: Nw okc marriott

Do you know what type of hotel he will build to the north?

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Do you know what type of hotel he will build to the north?
    It will be some sort of limited-service 100 room property like all the others being built all around town.

15. Default Re: Nw okc marriott

I was shocked to learn that Russell's was still open. I'd hate to be the guy tearing out the carpet in that place!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    I was shocked to learn that Russell's was still open. I'd hate to be the guy tearing out the carpet in that place!
    I wouldn't mind. There were a lot of cougars there I found.

17. Default Re: Nw okc marriott

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I wouldn't mind. There were a lot of cougars there I found.
    Erm. okaaaay,...but what's that got to do with the carpet? 30 yr old carpet coming out of anywhere isn't going to be pretty, but from a bar it has got to be pretty nasty.

I misread that post.

Blog Entries

https://newsok.com/article/5606174/q...building-spree

work continues on renovating the former Marriott in northwest Oklahoma City

It looked sad and vacant when I was there a few weeks ago.
    We had a few Benham Christmas parties there and hit Russell's often.

THE WAY TO EARLY PREVIEW OF WHAT IS ON THE WAY:

I would like to thank you all for your interest in this project, we are working diligently to ensure this project is completed and will make all of us, as members of the OKC community proud.

We are all very pleased that it is Champ Patel taking on this project, while many challenges have come our way, Champ has remained steadfast in his commitment to giving the city the best.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/169601...posted-public/

Good Evening Everyone,

Since we have received a few calls this evening about the demolition of the front part of the building I thought I would give you an update.
    Full demolition of the hexagon shaped building that at one time housed Russell’s Lounge has begun, this has been apart of the plan so there is no need to worry. This clearing will make room for a planned McAlister's Deli which will be independent of the hotel.
    As many of you know Embassy Suites incorporates a lobby bar into the design of the hotel, construction of this open concept lobby bar is well underway and will take the space that was at one time occupied by the JW steakhouse. The design in my opinion is simply wonderful. Discussion is underway weather or not to name this new area “Russells”, any opinions?

Just took this:

HangryHippo Guest

Wow. Quite the transformation thus far.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manager View Post
    Good Evening Everyone,

Since we have received a few calls this evening about the demolition of the front part of the building I thought I would give you an update.
    Full demolition of the hexagon shaped building that at one time housed Russell’s Lounge has begun, this has been apart of the plan so there is no need to worry. This clearing will make room for a planned McAlister's Deli which will be independent of the hotel.
    As many of you know Embassy Suites incorporates a lobby bar into the design of the hotel, construction of this open concept lobby bar is well underway and will take the space that was at one time occupied by the JW steakhouse. The design in my opinion is simply wonderful. Discussion is underway weather or not to name this new area “Russells”, any opinions?
    People will definitely know the Russell's name and associate it with that approximate location. Some might initially be confused trying to go to the external location, but that will self correct. IMO don't lose the established brand.

Thread Information