Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 15 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Default Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

What do you guys think about the reason why Phil was fired...so the ending of Duck Dynasty on A & E? A very, very popular TV program. I think it is sad that he was punished for saying what he believes. What is happening to our free speech??

Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Free speech exists in the progressive world so long as they agree with it. Otherwise you'll be attacked.

I thought in the free market businesses were allowed to hire/fire whomever they wanted?

4. Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

As long as the show is making big bucks then I predict he comes back. Free speech is alive and well when others can still make a buck off you. Maybe he'll do the usual 'apology tour.'

Hey he attacked heterosexuals too that are adulterous - funny how nobody cares about that even though it apparently applies to millions of us.

5. Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Free speech isn't the issue. Speaking words that will impact your advertisers, without thinking first on the impacts, is what is at play here.

Let's look at another scenario. A person is an on camera personality for a TV show that is very conservative in the views expressed and attracts that audience and related advertisers. That person goes out and throws full support behind things like gay marriage, abortion, and other hot button issues. That person's comments will now directly impact how the audience and more importantly the advertisers will look at that show. If this person turns off the audience they'll leave and the value starts falling for the advertisers. Also the advertisers may have strong convictions and will not want to be associated with a program that has a main cast member spouting views that contradict theirs.

Is it an attack on free speech? Absolutely not. Business is business. The door swings both ways on this issue. The Constitution gives us the right to say (almost) whatever we want and when we want. The Constitution doesn't say everyone must agree/respect it and keep us employed whenever we exercise that right.

Lord Helmet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tomokc View Post
    Free speech exists in the progressive world so long as they agree with it. Otherwise you'll be attacked.
    He is certainly free to say anything he wants...bigoted or not. A&E has every right to fire him as well. Like it or not he's a spokesperson for the A&E brand, and if what he said doesn't fit with that, they are perfectly within their right to fire him.

7. Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Free speech isn't the issue. Speaking words that will impact your advertisers, without thinking first on the impacts, is what is at play here.

Let's look at another scenario. A person is an on camera personality for a TV show that is very conservative in the views expressed and attracts that audience and related advertisers. That person goes out and throws full support behind things like gay marriage, abortion, and other hot button issues. That person's comments will now directly impact how the audience and more importantly the advertisers will look at that show. If this person turns off the audience they'll leave and the value starts falling for the advertisers. Also the advertisers may have strong convictions and will not want to be associated with a program that has a main cast member spouting views that contradict theirs.

Is it an attack on free speech? Absolutely not. Business is business. The door swings both ways on this issue. The Constitution gives us the right to say (almost) whatever we want and when we want. The Constitution doesn't say everyone must agree/respect it and keep us employed whenever we exercise that right.
    Exactly. No First Amendment violations to see here. Move along.

He can spew forth his love of all things gay unicorn rainbow farts, but A&E is under no obligation to hold a national megaphone to his mouth to help him out. Their megaphone, their channel.

I guess the real question is why anyone is outraged. You can't say God doesn't exist and then get outraged when someone says God doesn't approve of your behavior. I don't care what Mohammad or Buddha thinks of me, and I care even less what a follower of Mohammad of Buddha thinks that Mohammad of Buddha thinks of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    He is certainly free to say anything he wants...bigoted or not. A&E has every right to fire him as well. Like it or not he's a spokesperson for the A&E brand, and if what he said doesn't fit with that, they are perfectly within their right to fire him.
    Also, it has to be said that nobody would be listening and GQ wouldn't be interviewing him if A&E hadn't put him on a show.

He probably said these types of things before and nobody noticed.

If you want fame and fortune, you'd be be prepared to accept the added scrutiny that comes with it.

It's the same about celebrities that whine about lack of privacy. You can have all the privacy you want if you want to act in some stage company somewhere. You want the big bucks and the media limelight, you are also signing up for a lot of other things that come with it. It's not like this hasn't been the case for the last 50 or 60 years.

10. Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I guess the real question is why anyone is outraged. You can't say God doesn't exist and then get outraged when someone says God doesn't approve of your behavior. I don't care what Mohammad or Buddha thinks of me, and I care even less what a follower of Mohammad of Buddha thinks that Mohammad of Buddha thinks of me.
    When followers of Mohammad and Buddha spend a great deal of time and effort trying to render your (harmless, and private) behavior illegal, get back to us. Until then...The man with the hypocritical plan can take his lashings.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

What do you guys think about the reason why Phil was fired...so the ending of Duck Dynasty on A & E? A very, very popular TV program. I think it is sad that he was punished for saying what he believes. What is happening to our free speech??
    Do you agree with him basically saying that black people would happier if Jim Crow laws were still around?

Wow. This sounds like Paula Deen all over again.

"Does Oklahoma (scratch that) Does A&E really believe in The First Amendment?"

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    When followers of Mohammad and Buddha spend a great deal of time and effort trying to render your (harmless, and private) behavior illegal, get back to us. Until then...The man with the hypocritical plan can take his lashings.
    I guess I missed it - did Phil try to make being gay, drunk, or adulterous illegal? On second thought, being drunk in many situation IS illegal and adulterous spouses can be ordered to pay up come divorce time.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but what was hypocritical about what he said?

Phil probably doesn't really GAF - if I had enough $$ and land to hunt and fish everday for the rest of my life i wouldn't wanna worry about a TV show either

- Willie and the daughter in laws are the ones who want all the fame

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but what was hypocritical about what he said?
    I think it is because they assume Phil had always been a godly man, so back when he was drinking and running around with women other than his wife it makes him a hypocrite. What they don't know is that he wasn't always a godly man. He found Jesus and changed his ways. He should be held up as an example of the power of faith, not an object of ridicule from people who say that don't even in believe in God anyhow. Maybe deep down, they do believe in God and just have a hard time accepting it.

17. Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

I don't think anyone hindered or took away his free speech. anyone can say anything you want. however you must be prepared to face the consequences sometimes.

I can call my boss a poophead all I want. Probably gonna get fired...

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I don't think anyone hindered or took away his free speech. anyone can say anything you want. however you must be prepared to face the consequences sometimes.

I can call my boss a poophead all I want. Probably gonna get fired...
    Why does there have to be any consequences? Why can't the people who don't like him just ignore him? Hell, if I lived my life in a constant state of outrage that some seem to, I would never go see a Hollywood movie.

Why does there have to be any consequences? Why can't the people who don't like him just ignore him? Hell, if I lived my life in a constant state of outrage that some seem to, I would never go see a Hollywood movie.
    There have to be consequences because, to paraphrase George Orwell: All Opinions are Equal, But Some Opinions Are More Equal Than Others.

Frankly, I wonder how many of The Offended, here, actually watch Duck Dynasty
    (ergo, why would A&E care one way or the other?)

20. Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Im with you. Ive never seen the show. was speaking more on a personal level

Remember "The Good Old Days" when it was "The Jews" who ran show business? =)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    There have to be consequences because, to paraphrase George Orwell: All Opinions are Equal, But Some Opinions Are More Equal Than Others.

Frankly, I wonder how many of The Offended, here, actually watch Duck Dynasty
    (ergo, why would A&E care one way or the other?)
    The ironic thing is that the audience that has helped make this show the highest rated (ever) cable show will be more outraged by A&E's decision and ultimately have more impact on their bottom line than those who were offended by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    The ironic thing is that the audience that has helped make this show the highest rated (ever) cable show will be more outraged by A&E's decision and ultimately have more impact on their bottom line than those who were offended by it.
    We call that, "shooting yourself in the foot".

We call that, "shooting yourself in the foot".
    A more "modern" M.C. Escherian version might be: "Putting their heads up their asses and jumping."
    (ironically, the sound made when that happens sounds a lot like a duck call)

Here's what's playing around the Robertson Company Headquarters, 'ceptin' fer substitutin' "Patriarch" for "Man" and "Family" for "Woman":

Quote Originally Posted by kwhey View Post
    Do you agree with him basically saying that black people would happier if Jim Crow laws were still around?
    That's a rather loose and creative interpretation of his words.

Thread Information