Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    Cracker Barrel Old Country Store · 1,529,680 like this
    about an hour ago ·
    Dear Cracker Barrel Customer:

When we made the decision to remove and evaluate certain Duck Dynasty items, we offended many of our loyal customers. Our intent was to avoid offending, but that’s just what we've done.

You told us we made a mistake. And, you weren't shy about it. You wrote, you called and you took to social media to express your thoughts and feelings. You flat out told us we were wrong.

We listened.

Today, we are putting all our Duck Dynasty products back in our stores.

And, we apologize for offending you.

We respect all individuals right to express their beliefs. We certainly did not mean to have anyone think different.

We sincerely hope you will continue to be part of our Cracker Barrel family.
    Values that sway in the breeze, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    Their food is still awful.
    Sitting here thinking on it, I pretty much only order breakfast grub whenever I eat at CB. Can't really say much as to what the rest of the menu is like.
    It's hard to mess up breakfast grub. Not impossible, but you kinda have to try hard to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    Cracker Barrel Old Country Store · 1,529,680 like this
    about an hour ago ·
    Dear Cracker Barrel Customer:

When we made the decision to remove and evaluate certain Duck Dynasty items, we offended many of our loyal customers. Our intent was to avoid offending, but that’s just what we've done.

You told us we made a mistake. And, you weren't shy about it. You wrote, you called and you took to social media to express your thoughts and feelings. You flat out told us we were wrong.

We listened.

Today, we are putting all our Duck Dynasty products back in our stores.

And, we apologize for offending you.

We respect all individuals right to express their beliefs. We certainly did not mean to have anyone think different.

We sincerely hope you will continue to be part of our Cracker Barrel family.
    I'm surprised they pulled them in the first place. CB has a pretty long history of being openly anti-homosexual, and engaging in subtle racism in its stores. To each their own. Any decisions made by their corporate HQ with regard to the DD quack-up, is just that, a corporate decision swayed by its consumer base; much like A&E's decision to suspend Phil was just that, a corporate decision made to deflect scandal and to keep the support of advertisers. Not much difference there.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Sitting here thinking on it, I pretty much only order breakfast grub whenever I eat at CB. Can't really say much as to what the rest of the menu is like.
    It's hard to mess up breakfast grub. Not impossible, but you kinda have to try hard to make it happen.
    I like the Uncle Herschel's

Isn't the name "CRACKER" Barrel, itself, enough of a reason to boycott the place (since this is a direct insult to Rednecks, especially of the Georgian variety?)
    (Or is this related, somehow, to the significant likelihood that almost none of The Phil Robertson Offendees--in this instance--ever tune or tuned into Duck Dynasty?)

I know it's difficult to mess up breakfast, but I really like their breakfast about as much as any I have had. I didn't care for the hash brown casserole, but that doesn't mean it's not good, just not for me. Then I found out that all you had to do was ask for regular hash browns and they replaced the casserole. And they are good too. I have had three of their dinners and I didn't care for any of them so it's breakfast only at CB for me.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post

I'm not sure I've had any of their dinners except for the pot pie and it wasn't bad.

CRACKER Barrel is clearly more concerned about offending crackers than they are gays.

9. Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

If you really think the name of the store chain has anything to do with a racist connotation, you need to read more.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    Even Camilla Pagila supported Phil's right to speak his mind. She essentially told the LGBT community to quit getting butt hurt when somebody says something they disagree with.
    It's amazing how the 60's activists "get it" and the current ones don't understand what an open and frank discussion of the issues could achieve.
    This is where I first read about the Paglia quote that someone else had posted up: PoliticalOutcast.com - Duck, Duck, Noose

If you want to see the origins of what this world has become, you only need to look to universities and colleges in the late 80's . The students from that era are the ones who are speaking the loudest and are a large part of the media and corporate world who are succumbing to the whims of the loud minority whose main goal is the suppression of free speech and thought. Hence, the origins of our current state of political correctness. The first time that I really read anything about it was in an opinion piece by a college lecturer that was published in the January 1990 Playboy magazine called Flexing Muzzles by Nat Hentoff. There is a Playboy archive where you can see the story (a complete archive of the magazine including images) but there is a cached newspaper reprint of the article here without objectionable images:
    Clarkson Campus Dining Menu

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    CRACKER Barrel is clearly more concerned about offending crackers than they are gays.
    On the other hand . . . Perhaps the name CRACKER Barrel is intended to APPEAL to "Crackers", letting them know that they have a home-away-from-home within the walls of the establishment and others need not apply on account they will probably get offended then bitch, whine and moan? I mean, what says "Cracker" better than rocking chairs and giant checkerboards out on the front porch?

Cracker Barrel execs have cracked after just one day ... lifting their ban on Phil Robertson's merchandise ... and it's the ultimate hypocrisy.

A CB rep now says the company had no choice but to cave after "Duck Dynasty" fans blasted them via email, phone and social media.

Cracker Barrel decided to pull the products because it was so concerned about "equal treatment of all people" and "mutual respect." In other words, they felt Phil was loathsome.

But so much for principles when the almighty dollar gets in the way. Cracker Barrel now says, "You told us we made a mistake and you weren't shy about it ... you flat out told us we were wrong."

And this is precious ... They say, "We apologize for offending you."

So here's the upshot. On Saturday Cracker Barrel apparently felt Phil had offended gays and that's why they took a stand. But 24 hours later they realized a bigger problem than offending gays is offending customers who pay for CB stuff.

So now the CB rep took the position the company should have taken in the first place: "We respect all individuals' rights to express their beliefs."

How do CB execs move from office to office ... hard to do when you don't have a spine.

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    So now the CB rep took the position the company should have taken in the first place: "We respect all individuals' rights to express their beliefs."
    Which is exactly what A&E should have done.

Phil didn't make his comments on A&E, he didn't mention A&E in his comments, and he did say he spoke on behalf of A&E. It is the equivalent of me saying something about Jax on MetroJacksonville.com and getting banned from OKCTalk for it.

14. Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

The CB executives did the right thing listening to their customers. They are running a business and are not a social engineering organization. They dont cater to the gay community. They will live on and continue to expand their presence around the country because they have good food-not because of any agenda. The LGBT community needs grow some thick skin and accept that not everyone supports their lifestyle and move on. Its no different than Opera saying how all those old people in the south just need to die -- a pretty vile thing to say but she has a right to say it -- and I dont see her getting fired or having her products pulled from the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    So here's the upshot. On Saturday Cracker Barrel apparently felt Phil had offended gays and that's why they took a stand. But 24 hours later they realized a bigger problem than offending gays is offending customers who pay for CB stuff.

How do CB execs move from office to office ... hard to do when you don't have a spine.

These don't go well with Crackers.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    The CB executives did the right thing listening to their customers. They are running a business and are not a social engineering organization. They dont cater to the gay community. They will live on and continue to expand their presence around the country because they have good food-not because of any agenda. The LGBT community needs grow some thick skin and accept that not everyone supports their lifestyle and move on. Its no different than Opera saying how all those old people in the south just need to die -- a pretty vile thing to say but she has a right to say it -- and I dont see her getting fired or having her products pulled from the shelf.
    Sure, but why alienate so many potential customers in the first place? It's bad business. Cracker Barrel has a history of racism. These kinds of things eat away at a company over time. It's just bad business.

Their food pretty much blows anyway so no big loss to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Which is exactly what A&E should have done.

Phil didn't make his comments on A&E, he didn't mention A&E in his comments, and he did say he spoke on behalf of A&E. It is the equivalent of me saying something about Jax on MetroJacksonville.com and getting banned from OKCTalk for it.
    That's not a just comparison in the least. You have no contractual obligation to OKCTalk and are not being paid as a representative of its brand and/or subsidiaries. Many a folk have been fired by their PRIVATELY-OWNED corporations for unsavory and/or poorly-judged comments made on social media and other public forums. We've seen plenty of examples of such this year. This situation is no different.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    It's amazing how the 60's activists "get it" and the current ones don't understand what an open and frank discussion of the issues could achieve.
    This is where I first read about the Paglia quote that someone else had posted up: PoliticalOutcast.com - Duck, Duck, Noose

If you want to see the origins of what this world has become, you only need to look to universities and colleges in the late 80's . The students from that era are the ones who are speaking the loudest and are a large part of the media and corporate world who are succumbing to the whims of the loud minority whose main goal is the suppression of free speech and thought. Hence, the origins of our current state of political correctness. The first time that I really read anything about it was in an opinion piece by a college lecturer that was published in the January 1990 Playboy magazine called Flexing Muzzles by Nat Hentoff. There is a Playboy archive where you can see the story (a complete archive of the magazine including images) but there is a cached newspaper reprint of the article here without objectionable images:
    Clarkson Campus Dining Menu
    How do you know Robertson and family didn't sign a contract with A&E agreeing they wouldn't say anything controversial to the media? If so, he should go to another network that allows him to speak his mind, if there is one.

Being fired for being anti-gay goes at least as far back as the 1970s when Anita Bryant got dismissed from singing about orange juice.

A&E is so upset that they're airing dozens of hours of Duck Dynasty. This whole thing is overblown crap.

A&E TV Show Schedule - A&E

So . . . If the Robertson's decided to buy Cracker Barrel (and dump the jellyfish currently up near the top of "management") d'ya 'spose they'd change the name to Quacker Barrel?
    (they could use the restaurant chain's gift shops as outlet for camos, duck calls, overalls and shotguns . . .)

21. Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Sure, but why alienate so many potential customers in the first place? It's bad business. Cracker Barrel has a history of racism. These kinds of things eat away at a company over time. It's just bad business.

Their food pretty much blows anyway so no big loss to me.
    I not all businesses are there to cater to all people. Cracker Barrel has a huge following and is generally very busy. Their business has grown significantly. The stock price has nearly doubled this year and revenues are up nicely which is hard to do in the restaurant business. I can say I really like the food but the financials really contradictory t your opinion that their food "blows." You're very much in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    That's not a just comparison in the least. You have no contractual obligation to OKCTalk and are not being paid as a representative of its brand and/or subsidiaries.
    ...and Phil is not a paid representative of A&E. He is a character on a show they air. He might get paid to be on show, but they pay him to be himself (i.e. reality TV). Alas, the family has $400 million. I am sure they will manage just fine. On the other hand, A&E will be lucky to survive.

24. Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

...and Phil is not a paid representative of A&E. He is a character on a show they air. He might get paid to be on show, but they pay him to be himself (i.e. reality TV). Alas, the family has $400 million. I am sure they will manage just fine. On the other hand, A&E will be lucky to survive.
    I don't know if the other family members agree with Phil or not philosophically. They are certainly going to defend their daddy when he's being attacked. If Phil is the only one who said something like this, isn't that a little like swearing off Microsoft product for something the CIO of finance said

Does that make them 1%ers? Maybe that's the real rub here.

Thread Information