Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

1. Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Well, they say any publicity is good publicity.

I don't view this incident any differently than the good 'ole Dixie Chick's publicity debacle a few years back. If your job is to entertain the public, you are beholden to the whims of public opinion. I don't know if A&E got lots of calls calling from viewers for that hillbilly's head (doubtful) or if they were getting calls from their advertisers (more likely), but it makes no difference. You can say anything you want, but you have to deal with the consequences of doing so.

Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I suspect that, if anything, Papa Phil is just happy, happy, happy if his obligations to the show are dialed down, or even cancelled.
    More time to hunt, fish, hug Miss Kay, and the boys can go do what the boys do.

Some folk think Papa Phil be crazy. I think they don't realize they are only half right. Papa Phil be crazy ... like a fox.
    OH! So now you are dragging B'rer Rabbit before The Bench (of public opinion and jurors and peers and soforth).
    (you know that I'm sorta kidding here, right? =)

3. Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Note to self: Self, when A&E comes to you wanting to put you on BBQ Dynasty. Tell them up front that you are an equal opportunity offender of the easily offended.

^Too cool fer school/shule/skool, amigo. amen?

Edited to Add: Nearly WillRogerian in its simple Perfection.

I have never watched duck dynasty or do I know who this guy is or even what he said or why I should give a fiddler's fart about it but obviously by my facebook news feed I'm missing out on a high quality outrage fix. And like most folks these days I'm an outrage junkie soothed only by how upset I can get about things that have absolutely no impact on my life whatsoever.

^Amen to dat. One suggestion: Research the difference between fiddler's farts and unicorn farts prior to mail-ordering a duck call from A&E (a wholly-owned subsidiary of DuckDynasty, Inc.) in order to be able to catch the right one. If you so choose to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I have never watched duck dynasty or do I know who this guy is or even what he said or why I should give a fiddler's fart about it but obviously by my facebook news feed I'm missing out on a high quality outrage fix. And like most folks these days I'm an outrage junkie soothed only by how upset I can get about things that have absolutely no impact on my life whatsoever.
    Sorry about your dog. He was a helluva guy.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Sorry about your dog. He was a helluva guy.
    I'm sort of curious as to whether Bro. Phil is familiar with these verses of an old, old song.
    I used to know them by heart . . . still do, in a way . . .

1Blessed is the man that walketh
    not in the counsel of the ungodly,
    nor standeth in the way of sinners,
    nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

2But his delight is in the law of the LORD;
    and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

3And he shall be like a tree
    planted by the rivers of water,
    that bringeth forth his fruit in his season;
    his leaf also shall not wither;
    and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

4The ungodly are not so:
    but are like the chaff
    which the wind driveth away.

5Therefore the ungodly
    shall not stand in the judgment,
    nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

6 For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous:
    but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

(I'd bet A&E ain't never even heard the song, even once)

^^^^Sincerely, confused^^^^

So skimming the thread, apparently some of y'all think there's a Constitutional right to have a show on A&E?

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Well observed.

It's like many can't get through the day without a good dose of self-righteousness indignation.

A funny aspect of this was when the gay waitress supposedly got stiffed on a tip due to her sexuality... Then it turned out to be a hoax.

I saw several people post about wanting to take back the emotion they had exerted on her behalf. As if it had been true, that energy would have been well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    So skimming the thread, apparently some of y'all think there's a Constitutional right to have a show on A&E?
    Which posts said that?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    He definitely didn't quote anything. He paraphrased. He also grouped homosexuals, drunks, and terrorists together saying, "We let God sort 'em out later, you see what I'm saying?" If you don't see the issue comparing homosexuals and terrorists, then I can't help you.
    He was referring to sin. The sin of man. Any man. All men. ...all groups of men. "for All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" Rom. 3:23. Now, you may or may not be a Christian, but that "grouping of ALL men together" is what Phil was referring to.

15. Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Anyone who is shocked at what he said has never watched the show. And if you've watched the show, you'll know that there won't be an apology tour.

It's actually pretty clever marketing by A&E to suspend/fire/whatever this guy.
    --dude says stupid crap = newstory!
    --A&E fires dude = newstory!
    --A&E rehires dude = newstory!
    or
    --A&E creates spinoff for rest of family = newstory!
    No matter what happens both his family and A&E will end up making money off of this.

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    He was referring to sin. The sin of man. Any man. All men. ...all groups of men. "for All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" Rom. 3:23. Now, you may or may not be a Christian, but that "grouping of ALL men together" is what Phil was referring to.
    I notice there's no mention of lesbians. Since he was only speaking of men in his interview, maybe he likes seeing two ******s together...which would be an oxymoron.

I notice there's no mention of lesbians. Since he was only speaking of men in his interview, maybe he likes seeing two ******s together...which would be an oxymoron.
    ...the ALL HAVE SINNED and fall short of the glory of God, it includes the ladies groups as well. ...the key word in that Bible verse is ALL.

Mainly my issue is how the liberals say they are tolerant but only is as far as if you agree with them.

If Hobby Lobby had a spokesman or TV show star and they came out to be gay or in an interview and promoted the gay lifestyle and then Hobby Lobby fired them, would liberals be OK with it?

20. Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Quote Originally Posted by OU Adonis View Post
    Mainly my issue is how the liberals say they are tolerant but only is as far as if you agree with them.

If Hobby Lobby had a spokesman or TV show star and they came out to be gay or in an interview and promoted the gay lifestyle and then Hobby Lobby fired them, would liberals be OK with it?
    Well you need to pick a situation. Are they actively promoting the lifestyle and values that contradict the beliefs of the company/family or are they inadvertently promoting the lifestyle by coming out of the closet? Two TOTALLY different situations.

The first is going to be violation of company policy and that is the companies right since all employment is at-will. The second part you are going into outright discrimination which thankfully most companies and locals have laws against firing the person just for being gay.

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    ...the ALL HAVE SINNED and fall short of the glory of God, it includes the ladies groups as well. ...the key word in that Bible verse is ALL.
    We're all sinners and all fall short of your God's glory if that's what you mean and since Ol' Phil is so quick to place judgement--a thought held exclusively by that of God only--then he'll be treading boiling water in hell too. What's on your hand basket?

This isn't really a free speech issue. Phil has the right to stand up for his beliefs and A&E has the right to cut off the hand that feeds them because of it. I am not a Duck Dynasty fan, never have been, but support the First Amendment all the way as well as the free market. It really won't be long before another network picks up the show as popular as it is.

We're all sinners and all fall short of your God's glory if that's what you mean and since Ol' Phil is so quick to place judgement--a thought held exclusively by that of God only--then he'll be treading boiling water in hell too. What's on your hand basket?
    I'm fairly certain Phil beat his wife within an inch of her life back in the day...maybe he should be a bit more careful on who he casts judgement on.

^^^^Sincerely, confused^^^^
    And that indicates honesty in thought and posting. =)

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I'm fairly certain Phil beat his wife within an inch of her life back in the day...maybe he should be a bit more careful on who he casts judgement on.
    Apparently A&E isn't real good about vetting their celebrities?

Thread Information