Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    He is certainly free to say anything he wants...bigoted or not. A&E has every right to fire him as well. Like it or not he's a spokesperson for the A&E brand, and if what he said doesn't fit with that, they are perfectly within their right to fire him.
    ...not so fast my friend. Phil leads the family in prayer, praying to the God he spoke of in the bible. A&E is OK with that "speech" and they approve of it by allowing it Over, and over each episode? This is their way of (acceptance). If they (A&E) had fired him the first time he "prayed" then they would be in a better position in the release of Phil for his Christian statements.

The advertising groups that "don't belive / don't carry the same view" can opt out of its obligation. That is the Free Market you are speaking of. Employee rights are a completely different set of laws. Civil liberties apply to an individual, not a corporation.

I doubt any of the existing advertisers had much of a problem with his opinions. Nor did A&E. They've known about them all along. This was merely political pressure from groups that weren't even part of his audience. And you know what, I expect the DD folks to not give a single damn. They've made it clear that the show is a bonus revenue, and they're happy to walk away from it whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Why does there have to be any consequences? Why can't the people who don't like him just ignore him? Hell, if I lived my life in a constant state of outrage that some seem to, I would never go see a Hollywood movie.
    Because his employer, A&E, didn't like what he said and suspended him. End of story. They have every right to do that. Just like Don Imus was suspended when he called Rutger's womens basketball team nappy-headed hoes.

Shouldn't all of this really be over on the Non-Issue du Jour thread? =)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    Because his employer, A&E, didn't like what he said and suspended him. End of story. They have every right to do that. Just like Don Imus was suspended when he called Rutger's womens basketball team nappy-headed hoes.
    No, He quoted the Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    ...not so fast my friend. Phil leads the family in prayer, praying to the God he spoke of in the bible. A&E is OK with that "speech" and they approve of it by allowing it Over, and over each episode? This is their way of (acceptance). If they (A&E) had fired him the first time he "prayed" then they would be in a better position in the release of Phil for his Christian statements.

The advertising groups that "don't belive / don't carry the same view" can opt out of its obligation. That is the Free Market you are speaking of. Employee rights are a completely different set of laws. Civil liberties apply to an individual, not a corporation.
    They didn't just film him praying at supper by accident - it was A&E's idea to end each episode that way.

No, He quoted the Bible.
    Wow. I need a new edition. Which chapter states the following?

"And Jesus said 'It seems like, to me, a ******—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus.'"

I'd read that version.

No, He quoted the Bible.
    He definitely didn't quote anything. He paraphrased. He also grouped homosexuals, drunks, and terrorists together saying, "We let God sort 'em out later, you see what I'm saying?" If you don't see the issue comparing homosexuals and terrorists, then I can't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    He definitely didn't quote anything. He paraphrased. He also grouped homosexuals, drunks, and terrorists together saying, "We let God sort 'em out later, you see what I'm saying?" If you don't see the issue comparing homosexuals and terrorists, then I can't help you.
    I don't see it as he was comparing them, as much as he was just listing sins. Unless you think he was also equating drunks with terrorists too. It's also fair to include the first part of that quote...

“We never, ever judge someone on who’s going to heaven, hell. That’s the Almighty’s job. We just love ‘em, give ‘em the good news about Jesus"

"It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." ~ Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tomokc View Post
    Free speech exists in the progressive world so long as they agree with it. Otherwise you'll be attacked.
    Exactly. If you do not promote the "company" line you are ostracized. Bring him back Ass&Ears Network!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    Exactly. If you do not promote the "company" line you are ostracized. Bring him back Ass&Ears Network!!!
    So under that same precept, MSNBC should bring back Martin Bashir for his comments against Sarah Palin? Or, Alec Baldwin for his anti-LGBT comments? Just wondering.

Lord Helmet Guest

You know what's really sad? Our news media is covering this like its a worthy front page story. With all that's going on in this country not to mention the world, we have wall to wall coverage of some bigot being fired. This is a non-story. The media should be ashamed of itself.

First, good job on the worlds worst comparison in the first paragraph. Zero sense.

Second, yes, advertisers can opt out if they dont like it and thats probably what was being threatened. A&E can then appease the advertisers, discipline the problem, and protect the bottom line. Employers are allowed to do that. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    First, good job on the worlds worst comparison in the first paragraph. Zero sense.

Second, yes, advertisers can opt out if they dont like it and thats probably what was being threatened. A&E can then appease the advertisers, discipline the problem, and protect the bottom line. Employers are allowed to do that. Period.
    Businesses are encouraged to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhey View Post
    Do you agree with him basically saying that black people would happier if Jim Crow laws were still around?
    FWIW I was more bothered by this. Cause ya know, blacks were just so happy back in those days, before they all got on welfare like they are now, of course.

In a weird way, I feel bad for him as it is obvious A&E never provided them with a publicist. This is not the first time Phil has made some pretty charged comments. In his mind, he has probably said much worse at home and thought he was "toning it down" for GQ.

If you are going to feed from the trough of fame and stardom, you gotta be willing to accept the good and bad with it. IMO this is probably the beginning of the end of Duck Dynasty.

17. Default Re: Phil Robertson FIRED from A & E

This thread is just another example of how irrational people are becoming. Attacking the company when it exercises its right to suspend an employee...but then line up for miles for chicken on an "appreciation day" when a company starts to defend itself from a one of the same minority groups.

In most states, everyone is an at-will employee. Are we now arguing that companies don't have the right to hire/fire at-will employees when they see fit? I'm pretty sure the contract language for this guy has an out clause for A&E and their legal team has been through it several times.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    IMO this is probably the beginning of the end of Duck Dynasty.
    Are you kidding? This just bought them at least 2 more years.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    This thread is just another example of how irrational people are becoming. Attacking the company when it exercises its right to suspend an employee...but then line up for miles for chicken on an "appreciation day" when a company starts to defend itself from a one of the same minority groups.

In most states, everyone is an at-will employee. Are we now arguing that companies don't have the right to hire/fire at-will employees when they see fit? I'm pretty sure the contract language for this guy has an out clause for A&E and their legal team has been through it several times.
    I don't know that anyone in this thread has argued that A&E doesn't have the right (except for maybe the original post) to fire Phil. Now whether they were right or smart to do so in a business sense is something else entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I don't know that anyone in this thread has argued that A&E doesn't have the right (except for maybe the original post) to fire Phil. Now whether they were right or smart to do so in a business sense is something else entirely.
    This is where A&E messed up. They should have simply said, "Phil Roberts is a participant on a reality TV show. Phil Robertson is not A&E.", and left it at that.

The only obvious outcome of all this is that GQ Magazine is going straight to Hel.
    (much like Gourmet and Reader's Digest)
    (and National Geographic is on the way to Limbo, pending further review)

(please be advised that none of any of the above postings have anything to do with insider trading involving Lifetime as the safety net(work) of choice. be sure that you are well advised. please. the executives at Lifetime have nothing to do with this.)

I think everyone just needs to get off Phil's back...

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    This is where A&E messed up. They should have simply said, "Phil Roberts is a participant on a reality TV show. Phil Robertson is not A&E.", and left it at that.
    Damn straight: A&E should have grown a pair . . . of Ovaries. (fer cryin' out loud =)
    (geez . . .)
    (louise)

edited to add: WTF?

They should leave A&E and go to the Blaze network where they would be appreciated.

I suspect that, if anything, Papa Phil is just happy, happy, happy if his obligations to the show are dialed down, or even cancelled.
    More time to hunt, fish, hug Miss Kay, and the boys can go do what the boys do.

Some folk think Papa Phil be crazy. I think they don't realize they are only half right. Papa Phil be crazy ... like a fox.

Thread Information