Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 103 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171863 ... LastLast

Thread: Omni Hotel

Blog Entries

Default Re: Convention Hotel

J.W. Marriott, Downtown Austin - Height: 478 feet - 37 stories, 1,012 rooms.

An anchor convention center hotel of this magnitude would certainly maintain and expand our growth in the convention industry.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The Westin Charlotte is a very nice hotel. A JW Marriott is a step above though. Isn't OKC supposed to be getting a full-service Marriott downtown anyways? That seemed to be the indication from Steve's chat last week and then Pete confirmed.
    Anyone have any info on this?

Quote Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
    I never stayed at a JW Marriott, but had heard great reviews.
    Very, very nice. The Essex (A JW Marriott) in NYC is incredible. The Staples Center in L.A. is anchored at L.A. Live by the Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott - both Five-Star properties.

Awesome, will have to stay at one sometime.

spend the money on renovating the First Naitonal Building as a hotel. problem solved.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusNYC View Post
    spend the money on renovating the First Naitonal Building as a hotel. problem solved.
    Great idea for a hotel; however, we need something to anchor the new Oklahoma City Convention Center (with hotel complex).

How about this:

... hotel mixed use resort retail south florida spa westin westin diplomat

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Maybe it's just my brains sneaking off with the hair that keeps fleeing from my forehead, but I'd be just fine if design stays down in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Maybe it's just my brains sneaking off with the hair that keeps fleeing from my forehead, but I'd be just fine if design stays down in Florida
    I;m with ya. .not exactly what i'd like to see down there

I like it, but the rendering and the scale model would probably take a huge chunk out of our $250 million dollar budget.

Oh wait, the C.C. Hotel isn't part of that budget...never mind...I still like it though

As long as it has a big name and is at least 25 stories tall I am all in. Don't give me a super 8 that's 10 stories. Gots to have a big name on the hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    As long as it has a big name and is at least 25 stories tall I am all in. Don't give me a super 8 that's 10 stories. Gots to have a big name on the hotel.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Agreed
    Agreed with agreed. This thing needs to be done right. It needs to be, as MC Hammer would put it, 2 Legit 2 Quit...

Sent from my Inspiron 7537 using Tapatalk

Well I agree with your agreement of my agreement of OKCRT's comment.

I wold love to have something like that last hotel. It would give the appearance of 2 towers which I find to be very cool. It would be great if they could combine this hotel with some mixed residential on some of the top floors. Perhaps 25 floors for hotel and 5 floors of residential on both towers. This would be very impressive and can be done in a way that doesn't look quite as south beach, which a few of you don't seem to like. I personally like the trendy look and think it would give us a "cool factor".

Blog Entries

It doesn't have to be a carbon copy; we do need something in the iconic realm to help diversify and accentuate the skyline more so instead of the bland rectangular generic style buildings. Since we are to construct a convention center, let's get an anchor hotel development build something with character; a good 25-30 stories (700-900 rooms) with a least 400-450 ft. in height to balance out the skyline.

Oklahoma City is on the verge; therefore, we need a skyline that will become more distinct and recognizable from other cities.

Leadership Square and Devon Tower are examples along with the 'soon-to-be' OG&E Energy Headquarters which will be a nice addition downtown. Let's hope there is more within this category on the horizon...

I like it

One of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen. I'd almost rather have Stage Center back.

Seriously, though...we can have something distinctive and eye-catching that's in keeping with Oklahoma's traditional style. A building like that would look out of place in this city. It's overwrought and pretentious – two things that we don't generally (and shouldn't ever!) associate with Oklahoma. Devon is an example of being recognizable and understated - a great combination. Great things (or cities) don't have to be over-the-top to convince everyone that they're great.

18. Default Re: Convention Hotel

Let's pair cities with their iconic structures...

Seattle - Space Needle
    New York - Empire State Building / Statue of Liberty / Et Cetra
    St. Louis - Gateway Arch
    San Fransisco - Golden Gate Bridge

Paris - Eiffel Tower
    Sydney - Opera House
    London - Big Ben / London Eye / Buckingham Palace

You get the idea... just to start some imagery.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    Let's pair cities with their iconic structures...

Seattle - Space Needle
    New York - Empire State Building / Statue of Liberty / Et Cetra
    St. Louis - Gateway Arch
    San Fransisco - Golden Gate Bridge

Paris - Eiffel Tower
    Sydney - Opera House
    London - Big Ben / London Eye / Buckingham Palace

You get the idea... just to start some imagery.
    Yeah . . . That would have been close to my first impression . . . and actually was until I entered THIS Major League City's recollection of stuff like that.
    Be forewarned. It's easy to Navigate once you get used to it.

Start at "Gateway" and wander around while.
    Apparently they've been doing that up in a Major League City for Quite a While.

All Rights Reserved for the Great Writer Observer That Even Dave Barry Defended:

LILEKS (James) :: MPLS :: Long Gone

The Site is Easy to Navigate.
    Once you get used to the point and click part.

Sorry . . . Let me try that again:
    simply click around and learn and laugh and cry

http://lileks.com/mpls/gateway/

That hotel would be fine, if you just had one of the towers. Take out the middle section that makes it look like a giant "H" and just have one of the towers and it would be okay.

I wanna see a fighter jet blast through that hole.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    That hotel would be fine, if you just had one of the towers. Take out the middle section that makes it look like a giant "H" and just have one of the towers and it would be okay.
    You're two thirds of the way there. Get over any interest in that last ugly tower and you're home free.

Default Convention Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by ethansisson View Post
    One of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen. I'd almost rather have Stage Center back.

Seriously, though...we can have something distinctive and eye-catching that's in keeping with Oklahoma's traditional style. A building like that would look out of place in this city. It's overwrought and pretentious – two things that we don't generally (and shouldn't ever!) associate with Oklahoma. Devon is an example of being recognizable and understated - a great combination. Great things (or cities) don't have to be over-the-top to convince everyone that they're great.
    What a minute. You say we shouldn't have something overwrought and pretentious but then you say Devon is a great example being recognizable and understated. I think that big phallic object in downtown is quite pretentious, out of place and hardly understated.

24. Default Re: Convention Hotel

Imagine if it were the originally designed 1000 footer!

Blog Entries

Reports of new downtown towers take hope sky-high:
    By Steve Lackmeyer Published: August 19, 2014

Consider what is already public knowledge: Rainey Williams Jr. is preparing to build a mid-rise tower (though it may end up higher when built) for OGE Energy Corp...

Serious discussions, meanwhile, have been going on for months about another tower to be built at Hudson Avenue and Main Street. The block, acquired by Nick Preftakes over the past decade, has long been associated with potential expansion of Devon Energy, which has its own 50-story headquarters to the east.

...Count it all up and up to six new towers could be added to the downtown Oklahoma City skyline over the next few years — and this does not include the prospect of a 15- to 20-story conference hotel that civic leaders hope to see built next to the future convention center at Reno and Robinson Avenues.

http://oklahoman.com/reports-of-new-...rticle/5299202

Get ready to see some major changes in the Oklahoma City skyline over the next five years. Lackmeyer did not elaborate on the companies that need space in the OKC downtown market; however, if just three of these six towers are built you will see some major changes to the skyline. When they mentioned towers, it's understood to mean something in the range of 25 stories. Steve refers to the 16-18 story OG&E tower as a mid rise tower.

The article went on to mention that this does not include the prospect of a 15- to 20-story conference hotel that civic leaders hope to see built next to the future convention center at Reno and Robinson Avenues.

Thread Information