Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

I created these gifs to show what type of impact on the skyline this (not yet designed) building will make.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Any rumors as to how tall it will be?
    Between 40-50 stories. No exact height has been confirmed.

Good luck then. We know very well here in OKC about how rumors turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Good luck then. We know very well here in OKC about how rumors turn out.
    What exactly do you think is a rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    What exactly do you think is a rumor?
    Your response to the question about any rumors about how tall it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Your response to the question about any rumors about how tall it will be.
    Oh, well, the developer is saying it will be an iconic building so it'll definitely have some height.

I should say, the developer said it will be an iconic tower not building.

TWO MIXED-USED BUILDINGS WITH STREET LEVEL RETAIL PLANNED FOR PHASE I OF YANAGUANA GARDEN

(TOP CENTER) CONCEPT RENDERING OF WATER STREET PROJECT

The nonprofit behind the remaking of HemisFair Park received the go-ahead Thursday from City Council to look for developers to construct two mixed-use buildings near the southwest corner of the downtown space.

Combined, the two projects, totaling at least $50 million in development, could include more than 200 mixed-income residential units, a boutique hotel and roughly 300 public parking spaces to the park, as well as the expansion of the Magik Theatre.

In late July, the Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corporation said it will begin the process of finding a developer for each parcel.

Once chosen, developers would enter a public-private partnership in which they would lease the public land for decades, according to Hemisfair. Revenue generated from each project — rents, leases, etc. — would be funneled back to HemisFair.

The so-called Water Street Development on 1.13 acres would abut the envisioned Yanaguana Garden, the play area on Hemisfair's southwest corner. A midrise structure (five to six stories) containing 100 or so residential units is envisioned for the parcel. The units would wrap around a parking structure with 400 spaces (100 for residents, the remainder for public use). First-floor retail is another component of the planned building.

Just an FYI, those two buildings are separate from the mixed-use buildings planned for Phase II (Civic Park), which were talked about last month.

These are those buildings:

PHASE II: CIVIC PARK BUILDINGS

I wish San Antonio luck on building this iconic tower. The city is over due for a new tower and hopefully once construction starts more towers will follow.

Simply as an aside, of the semantic variety, doesn't the word "iconic" connote "not the real thing but rather a representation of something other than itself"? Are we sure that "iconic" is the best way to describe this proposed "skyscraper"? Is the developer's spokesperson sure? =)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Simply as an aside, of the semantic variety, doesn't the word "iconic" connote "not the real thing but rather a representation of something other than itself"? Are we sure that "iconic" is the best way to describe this proposed "skyscraper"? Is the developer's spokesperson sure? =)
    It will become an "icon" for the city to look at is how I understand it.

- retiny

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Iconic denotes icon which by its very own definition is a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something.

This building will be an icon for the city and stand out as a representative symbol.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Iconic denotes icon which by its very own definition is a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something.

This building will be an icon for the city and stand out as a representative symbol.
    I just hope that iconic has more meaning than world class (see OKC's Stage Center Tower).

I think San Antonio is one of the most underrated cities in the entire country. If any of you are Austin regulars but haven't made the little extra mileage to make San Antonio, be sure and put it on your to-do, you'll be impressed.

I couldn't remember what it was called, but just went and checked - Uptown Broadway. Some of the most incredible, beautiful old homes in the nation all clustered together in several different (townships?). Think Nichols Hills, Heritage Hills (times ten) and you get Uptown Broadway. If you enjoy old residential upscale architecture, you'll be in heaven.

There's just so much to do and there's something for everybody. I also found a surprisingly conservative Hispanic community in San Antonio. Those Latin American families that have been here for several generations aren't all that excited about how the current immigration problems are being handled. Not that I necessarily agree with them, but I found it surprising, but it makes sense when you think about it. So many have been there for so long and feel they did it the "right" way. Assimilation is better in SA than other places as well. Amazing how many white San Antonio folks know Spanish, too. At least at a basic semi-conversational level.

I want to go back again. Great city that we can learn a lot from. They went through what we're going through 25-30 years ago. There are far worse cities to emulate, that's for sure.

The city appreciates the kind words zookeeper.

The area you're talking about is actually Midtown. The homes you mention belong to historic neighborhoods like Tobin Hill, Monte Vista, Beacon Hill, Manhcke Park. I actually highlighted some of those neighborhoods on page 3 and page 4.

I also posted a map showing the neighborhoods and districts I have highlighted in this thread.

There are also three wealthy bedroom room communities just north of Midtown that also have fantastic housing stock. Olmos Park, Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills. Those three are considered to be in Uptown with Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills being in Uptown Broadway as both communities are adjacent to Broadway St.

I should also make one last, small note. San Antonio is quite liberal. Though, there are a few conservative pockets around the city and one of those pockets being Uptown. Midtown though is very liberal. The Gay District is within Tobin Hills.

Another gif I created.

18. Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

Agree that San Antonio is underrated. I think it often gets unfairly pigeonholed as one thing or another and that many people who don't have a lot of experience with the place have a one - dimensional view of it and write it off. One of the big problems in this regard is that it is sandwiched between three flashier, noisier cities who do a pretty fair job of tooting their own horns. It gets lost in the mix. Truthfully, I think it is a more authentic experience than any of them.

UPDATED THE MAP AS WELL AS CREATED A LIST.

SAN ANTONIO URBAN CORE DEVELOPMENT MAP

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    RESIDENTIAL UNITS: 2,063 │ HOTEL ROOMS: 295

• JOSKE'S REDEVELOPMENT │ REDEVELOPMENT OF A 500,000 SQUARE FOOT BUILDING INTO A SHOPPING AND ENTERTAINMENT DESTINATION │ DOWNTOWN
    • CONVENTION CENTER EXPANSION │ 325 MILLION DOLLAR EXPANSION │ DOWNTOWN
    • THE RIVER HOUSE │ 261-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ RIVER NORTH
    • 1130 BROADWAY │ 300-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ RIVER NORTH
    • TOBIN CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS │ 210 MILLION DOLLAR STATE-OF-THE-ART PERFORMING ARTS CENTER │ RIVER NORTH
    • EILAN RIVERWALK │ 350-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ DOWNTOWN
    • SAN PEDRO CREEK REDEVELOPMENT │ 275 MILLION DOLLAR REVITALIZATION OF A 2-MILE STRETCH OF THE SAN PEDRO CREEK │ RIVER NORTH, DOWNTOWN, SOFLO
    • ALAMO BEER COMPANY BREWERY AND BREWPUB │ BREWERY AND BREWPUB │ NEAR EAST
    • HOTEL EMMA │ 145-ROOM BOUTIQUE HOTEL │ THE PEARL
    • THE CELLARS │ TEN STORY, 100-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ THE PEARL
    • BIG TEX │ 336-UNIT MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT │ SOUTHTOWN
    • WESTEND STATION │ REDEVELOPMENT OF FORMER TRAIN DEPOT INTO A MULTI-MODAL TRANSIT STATION │ WESTEND
    • PEANUT FACTORY │ 98-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ CATTLEMAN SQUARE
    • SAN ANTONIO CHILDREN'S MUSEUM │ NEW 40 MILLION DOLLAR CHILDREN'S MUSEUM │ LOWER BROADWAY
    • CITY VISTA │ 145-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ UPTOWN
    • TOBIN LOFTS PHASE II │75-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ TOBIN HILL
    • H-E-B HEADQUARTERS AND GROCERY STORE │ 140 MILLION DOLLAR EXPANSION OF DOWNTOWN HEADQUARTERS AS WELL AS A GROCERY STORE, CULINARY SCHOOL │ DOWNTOWN, SOUTHTOWN
    • 519 ROOSEVELT AVENUE │ 28 MODERN TOWNHOMES │ SOUTH OF SOUTHTOWN
    • CONFLUENCE PARK │ NEW MULTI MILLION DOLLAR PARK ALONG THE SAN ANTONIO RIVER │ MISSION REACH
    • MISSION ROAD TRAILER PARK REDEVELOPMENT │ 75 MILLION DOLLAR, 345-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT TO REPLACE A TRAILOR PARK │ MISSION REACH, RIVERSIDE
    • HILTON GARDEN INN │ TEN STORY, 250 ROOM HOTEL │ DOWNTOWN
    • TERRELL BUILDING │ REDEVELOPMENT OF BUILDING INTO 100-UNIT TIMESHARE │ DOWNTOWN
    • EAST QUINCY TOWNHOMES │ 25 TOWNHOMES │ TOBIN HILL
    • BRACKENRIDGE AT MIDTOWN │ 282-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ MIDTOWN BROADWAY

PROPOSED
    RESIDENTIAL UNITS: 4,313

• FROST BANK HEADQUARTERS │ 40-50 STORY OFFICE TOWER │ DOWNTOWN
    • CPS ENERGY HEADQUARTERS │ OFFICE TOWER │ DOWNTOWN
    • JOSKE'S MIXED-USE │ MIXED USE TOWER OR TOWERS WITH RESIDENTIAL AND HOTEL │ DOWNTOWN
    • W HOTEL │ 33-STORY W HOTEL │ DOWNTOWN
    • ST. PAUL SQUARE DEVELOPMENT │ 800 RESIDENTIAL UNITS IN MULTIPLE HIGHRISES │ ST. PAUL SQUARE
    • MERCHANT'S ICE LOFTS │ 230-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ NEAR EAST
    • JONES AVE & BROADWAY ST. │ 300-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ RIVER NORTH
    • 1221 BROADWAY PHASE II │ 100-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ RIVER NORTH
    • NEW FEDERAL COURTHOUSE │ AWAITING FEDERAL FUNDING │ DOWNTOWN
    • SOUTHWEST SCHOOL OF ARTS │ 200-UNIT MIXED USE DEVELOPMENT │ DOWNTOWN
    • AVENUE B & 9TH STREET │ 350-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ RIVER NORTH
    • JEFFERSON ST, RESIDENTIAL HIGHRISE │ 35-40 STORY RESIDENTIAL HIGHRISE │ DOWNTOWN
    • AVENUE B & 8TH STREET │ 300-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ RIVER NORTH
    • PEARL DEVELOPMENT │ 800-UNIT DEVELOPMENT PLANNED ON 5-ACRES OF UNDEVELOPED LAND │ THE PEAR;
    • TOBIN CENTER PARKING GARAGE │ 6 LEVEL MIXED-USE PARKING GARAGE │ DOWNTOWN
    • MAUREAUX BUILDING │ 242-UNIT MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT │ WESTEND
    • ST. JOHN'S SEMINARY SCHOOL │ 250-UNIT REDEVELOPMENT │ RIVERSIDE
    • WATER STREET │ MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT. PART OF PHASE I OF HEMISFAIR REDEVELOPMENT │ DOWNTOWN
    • 300 SOUTH ALAMO │ 12-STORY, MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT. PART OF PHASE I OF HEMISFAIR REDEVELOPMENT │ DOWNTOWN
    • LAVACA TOWNHOMES │ FOUR MODERN TOWNHOMES │ LAVACA
    • ALAMO STREET & 10TH STREET │ 250-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ RIVER NORTH
    • SOUTHTOWN VILLAS │ 212-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ SOUTHTOWN
    • DWYER STREET │ 272-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ DOWNTOWN

This week CPS will put out a “request for information” from developers interested in doing a headquarters deal. That'll be followed in mid-September by a “request for qualifications” to ensure that the potential bidders are for real. Finally, the utility will put a “request for proposals” in November.

If all goes as planned, staffers will cut the list of contenders to three or four, and Beneby would recommend a finalist to the board of trustees early next year.

This is according to John Benedict, CPS' Chief Administrative Officer.

CONVENTION CENTER EXPANSION UPDATE
    325 MILLION DOLLAR PROJECT FROM THE SKY

IN-N-OUT BURGER UPDATE

LOOP 1604 & CULEBRA ROAD LOCATION
    Projected opening is October 2014.

WINDCREST LOCATION

Demolition of building is underway for mixed-use project that will include In-N-Out. Projected opening of restaurant is sometime in October.

CPS ENERGY HEADQUARTERS UPDATE II

CPS Energy is taking another step toward identifying a site for its new headquarters.

The San Antonio utility company has contracted with Washington, D.C.-based commercial real estate services firm Cassidy Turley to evaluate its current real estate assets in and to develop and implement a long-term plan for its headquarters facility.

Cassidy Turley will help CPS craft a strategy for acquiring space for its new headquarters and for disposition of its current San Antonio property downtown.

CPS Energy is the nation’s largest municipally owned energy utility. It has more than $10 billion in assets and more than $2.4 billion in annual revenues. The utility currently serves more than 741,000 electric customers and some 331,000 natural gas customers in the region.

Cassidy Turley will release a request for information (RFI) as part of an effort to identify all potential real estate opportunities in the market which can accommodate a corporate headquarters.

This RFI will be released during the first week of July to an initial list of targeted properties within a defined area encompassing downtown San Antonio. The RFI will also be released to an initial list of targeted investor-developers.

Cassidy Turley is inviting property owners and investor-developers to submit proposals for a new CPS Energy headquarters.

Please delete.
    Last edited by josh; 07-09-2014 at 04:58 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Thread Information