Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Classen Commons

Default Re: Classen Commons

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Street and sidewalk closures must be permitted by the City. When they are applied for, the City could require an alternate sidewalk traffic plan that meets a minimum standard (set by the City). It's no different than requiring trash receptacles or portable johns when issuing revocable permits for events. This alternate sidewalk plan could be limited to urban areas, but would not have to be. At the end of the day, we could require it, and we just don't bother.
    Which really describes the way OKC operates and always has. Better than crappy makes us happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    To whom do we start a write-in campaign to put pressure on this as a requirement?
    You didn't seem too interested in them in this thread.

Maywood - OKCTalk

Since we expect these urban projects to be built out close to the street, why is anyone surprised that means the safety barrier would extend out to the curb? You certainly don't want pedestrians close to the actual work going on. Whether you re-route them or not is a separate issue.

3. Default Re: Classen Commons

His statement isn't as contradictory as it appears. I agree with him that bringing safety barriers out to the street is necessary for many/most projects. And his last line (in the portion that you quoted) says that the requirement to reroute is a separate issue, which of course it is, and that is the issue at hand in these recent posts.

Rover, to answer your question I think that suggestion should be routed to Eric Wenger, the Director of Public Works, and to Jim Couch, the City Manager. Also might be worth contacting City Council members in the areas most affected (in urban areas that's mostly Meg Salyer and John Pettis, both of whom tend to be very responsive. Finally, might be worth contacting Downtown OKC Inc, who could take a strong advocacy role in this issue.

Edit: I did a quick cursory search for other cities' requirements (I'm sure there are good, workable ones out there) and I found this easy-to understand document from a county in Idaho, of all places: https://www.achdidaho.org/Department...onsibility.doc

What I found most interesting is that the document seems to indicate that contractors providing adequate temporary walkways during construction is actually an ADA issue. If this is correct, these types of sidewalk closures without adequate relief violate ADA, and if the City allows it, then the City is being complicit. Therefore it might also be worthwhile to contact the City's ADA coordinator Paula Falkenstein.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    You didn't seem too interested in them in this thread.

Maywood - OKCTalk
    First of all, not sure why you are trying to snarky. Secondly, I still believe that in the context of that discussion that the two are different issues. You seem to imply something not there. Don't try so hard to go personal and away from the discussion at hand.

Urbanized, thanks for the information. I wish all posters were as grown up as you.

5. Default Re: Classen Commons

Don't try so hard to go personal
    I wish all posters were as grown up as you.
    lol not personal at all

First of all, not sure why you are trying to snarky. Secondly, I still believe that in the context of that discussion that the two are different issues. You seem to imply something not there. Don't try so hard to go personal and away from the discussion at hand.

Urbanized, thanks for the information. I wish all posters were as grown up as you.
    I'm not being snarky. I just happened to have remembered that thread, where instead of supporting the issue you were bringing up contradictory points as well as implying things in my posts which indeed were not there. (Where you implied I said every city has requirements for temporary sidewalks, when in fact I did not).

I agree with you, let's not get personal. (Which I have not brought your character or personal business into question. You have implied in your own post a personal shot at me)

Blog Entries

Quit trying to pick a fight, please. Quit trying to frame my positions, please. I am perfectly capable of stating my own positions on specific topics. You are free to do for your own position and I welcome the airing of all positions whether I agree with them or not. I never claim to be all knowing and infallible.

I will be clear... I am FOR an alternate and safe pedestrian path when construction obstructs or makes unsafe the in-place paths. I am FOR the developer/contractor providing this path at their cost. I am FOR the city requiring it. I am FOR the city coordinating with the contractor to do this with as little disruption to street activity as possible.

I appreciate the information Urbanized provided and encourage everyone so motivated to make the contacts and make their positions known. I am FOR activism to make changes, and I am NOT for whining afterwards.

I will be clear... I am FOR an alternate and safe pedestrian path when construction obstructs or makes unsafe the in-place paths. I am FOR the developer/contractor providing this path at their cost. I am FOR the city requiring it. I am FOR the city coordinating with the contractor to do this with as little disruption to street activity as possible.
    Thanks for clarifying, I am glad to see we both agree. I was under the impression that you weren't from the previous thread.

Demolition has begun:

Demo underway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150827_102508.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	11395

Default 1320 Classen

I drove by today and saw the building was torn down. I searched and wasn't able to find any information on this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1320 Classen.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	11455

As you now see, this is the Classen Commons development, which is actually a great project. That said, thank you for reporting a demolition that took you by surprise! One day that will probably happen and we will need citizen journalists.

Well under construction now:

This is an underrated development.

17. Default Re: Classen Commons

It is nice, I only wish it were taller and therefore had more units. I think we need many more of these senior-oriented URBAN residential buildings in the downtown neighborhoods and throughout the inner city where our seniors can live close to the all of the services and amenities of the city.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

From today; windows have started to go in:

HangryHippo Guest

This turned out sharper than expected.

HangryHippo Guest

This turned out a lot better than I was expecting. Besides a few minor changes, I think it looks pretty nice.

Blog Entries

Just wish they had truly rounded the corner. Looks like they took the cheap way out.

Thread Information