Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKC Central Live Chat - The Next 60 Days (11-22-13)

1. Default OKC Central Live Chat - The Next 60 Days (11-22-13)

http://newsok.com/okc-central-live-c...rticle/3907309

Things are going a bit crazy these days. Downtown/urban core development is hitting a pace we’ve not seen in a century. Yes, it’s that crazy. And if we were choose a soundtrack for this story, yeah, Fatboy Slim would be a good pick.

A few weeks ago during an OKC Central Live Chat I predicted that the following 60 days would be an amazing period for downtown. I’m sticking with that call, and I’ll remind you what’s already transpired this first month:

- The start of outside money coming in with Indianapolis-based Milhaus preparing to build 327 apartments, 4,500 square feet of retail and 455-space garage at NW 10 and Shartel.

- Catholic Charities announcing plans to build a modern new headquarters at NW 12 and Classen

- Midtown Renaissance announcing plans to build a modern, 43-unit apartment complex at 1201 N Francis.

- The Oklahoma Publishing Co. finalizing a deal to move its operations, including The Oklahoman, to the old Century Center.

- Midtown Renaissance moving forward with renovation of the Marion Hotel at Broadway and NW 10

- A cluster of new retailers opening up along Automobile Alley.

- Announcement of an impressive list tenants for The Rise on NW 23.

- Devon’s historic $6 billion purchase of holdings in Eagle Ford (this will have ramifications on downtown).

Yes, it’s true – these are all developments that were unknown to the public just a month ago. And there’s more… much, much more…

- Rainey Williams tower….

- What’s next for Tom Ward….

- Big plays throughout downtown for new housing ….

- The influx of outside money …

- The influx of national retailers …

- Major new downtown anchors…

And yeah, I expect much of this to go public this next month.

Live chat starts at the normal time today – 10 a.m. You can start posting comments and questions at 9:30 a.m. at the NewsOK business page. This will be my last chat for November.

Default Re: OKC Central Live Chat - The Next 60 Days (11-22-13)

Devon’s historic $6 billion purchase of holdings in Eagle Ford

More on this?

Thank you.

This is interesting:

- Major new downtown anchors…
    Any thoughts on this, have we discussed a company or group here that I'm just forgetting or is this new information?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    This is interesting:

Any thoughts on this, have we discussed a company or group here that I'm just forgetting or is this new information?
    I am curious if this would be in reference to retail anchors or other. Maybe a CVS or Walgreens? Would those be considered anchors?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I am curious if this would be in reference to retail anchors or other. Maybe a CVS or Walgreens? Would those be considered anchors?
    Well, just above that he mentions national retailers so I'm of the mind that this is in reference to other. Hopefully we find out soon.

I am still hoping Midfirst/Midland will move downtown! They are one of the biggest mortgage/banks in the US that nobody knows. Having a bank tower would diversify downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Well, just above that he mentions national retailers so I'm of the mind that this is in reference to other. Hopefully we find out soon.
    It could also combine the "Stage Center Tower" with the "major new downtown anchors." That would be my guess.

You know, I'm always hearing ads on The Franchise for REI. They talk about ordering online and paying your bill online but why would they play ads in this market if they didn't have a brick and mortar store? Pretty certain all of us know we can go online and do that type of thing if we have an account with them... I would assume that means they're opening a location here. Probably not downtown but just throwing that out...if I can't join the chat later.

11. Default Re: OKC Central Live Chat - The Next 60 Days (11-22-13)

Quote from Steve:

Here's how I define current anchors: you have corporate anchors like Continental Resources, Devon Energy, Sonic, BancFirst and SandRidge Energy (next year OPUBCO joins that list).
    We have major hotel anchors like the Skirvin, Colcord and Renaissance. We have major entertainment anchors like the Harkins Theaters. We have cultural anchors like the Civic Center Music Hall, the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, and the National Memorial. And we have major sports anchors like the Thunder and RedHawks. Get the picture?

Things are going a bit crazy these days. Downtown/urban core development is hitting a pace we’ve not seen in a century. Yes, it’s that crazy. And if we were choose a soundtrack for this story, yeah, Fatboy Slim would be a good pick.
    I don't know who Fatboy Slim is.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    You know, I'm always hearing ads on The Franchise for REI. They talk about ordering online and paying your bill online but why would they play ads in this market if they didn't have a brick and mortar store? Pretty certain all of us know we can go online and do that type of thing if we have an account with them... I would assume that means they're opening a location here. Probably not downtown but just throwing that out...if I can't join the chat later.
    Because the REI in Dallas does a bang up in-person Oklahoma business. Why not try and entice more online?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Because the REI in Dallas does a bang up in-person Oklahoma business. Why not try and entice more online?
    I have been there several times, would love to have one here. I will believe it when I see it.

Midlands just moved into a new space in the IBC Bank building so I doubt they will want to move again.

Quote Originally Posted by TechArch View Post
    Midlands just moved into a new space in the IBC Bank building so I doubt they will want to move again.
    Midlands =/= Midland Mortgage/Midfirst Bank.....

Midlands is an insurance company

Midlands

Midland Mortgage.... Mortgage company...

https://www.mymidlandmortgage.com/

17. Default Re: OKC Central Live Chat - The Next 60 Days (11-22-13)

Is there a place in the inner core that would be capable of developing something like the Metropolitan in midtown Charlotte? While there should be some lessons learned from the development (i.e. Target and Home Depot originally anchored it and the Home Depot didn't last long), I could see OKC having something like this in the future:
    Metropolitan :: 1111 Metropolitan Avenue, Suite 300, Charlotte, NC. 28204 :: 704-552-1700

18. Default Re: OKC Central Live Chat - The Next 60 Days (11-22-13)

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    I am still hoping Midfirst/Midland will move downtown! They are one of the biggest mortgage/banks in the US that nobody knows. Having a bank tower would diversify downtown.
    That's not happening. It's been reported here (can't remember what thread, maybe CHK thread) that MF is buying a couple of buildings from CHK. They are staying on Grand.

19. Default Re: OKC Central Live Chat - The Next 60 Days (11-22-13)

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    I don't know who Fatboy Slim is.
    You're not missing much, JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    That's not happening. It's been reported here (can't remember what thread, maybe CHK thread) that MF is buying a couple of buildings from CHK. They are staying on Grand.
    Ok I guess your sources are better than mine.

Are you teasing us?

22. Default Re: OKC Central Live Chat - The Next 60 Days (11-22-13)

As I said, my source was this site so my source was Pete and his sources (which are pretty reliable).

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    Is there a place in the inner core that would be capable of developing something like the Metropolitan in midtown Charlotte? While there should be some lessons learned from the development (i.e. Target and Home Depot originally anchored it and the Home Depot didn't last long), I could see OKC having something like this in the future:
    Metropolitan :: 1111 Metropolitan Avenue, Suite 300, Charlotte, NC. 28204 :: 704-552-1700
    Please yes! The Metropolitan is amazing as well as the two story Target that is next to it. Target was never part of the Metropolitan itself. The Home Depot was a Design Depot concept, which went defunct in 2008. I think one day OKC may be able to support such a development. In Charlotte, this retail is all next to the Elizabeth neighborhood which is full of upscale lofts, dining, and nightlife (not hipster but upscale). Currently I think OKC is at least 10-15 years away from a district like that. OKC lacks the density of high-income urban professionals that Charlotte has to be able to support such a district but if the city becomes a boomtown like some predict, its possible within the next 5-10 years it could. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. I think a financial anchor in downtown OKC would help spur that kind of development immensely.

*Edited to remove stuff that does not pertain to the thread*

Thread Information