Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fordson Hotel (formerly 21c Museum Hotel)

1. Default Re: Fred Jones Building

Pretty sure it will be BRINGING the action to its own doorstep. Five years ago, Midtown and the Plaza District were pretty far from the action too.

Thanks to thus project I'm more excited about prospects for West Main, which I have always felt was a sleeping giant.

Regarding Pete's marked-up photo showing FJ land ownership, I truly hope the buildings on Sheridan that make it to the sidewalk are retained. They are worthwhile structures for adaptive reuse.

2. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel to Fred Jones Building

I still maintain that the building won't change hands. Look for the Halls to be partners in the development.

Default Re: Fred Jones Building

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Yes, I was about to say the same thing. Seems a little premature for that area.
    I think it's pretty exciting. Originally I expected that the revitalization effect would slowly creep westward

<---

Now with this amazing new western anchor, the effect should go both ways, with stuff filling in between

---> . . . . <---

Granted, the immediate area around (what will be) the new 21c hotel is not riveting at the moment. But I suspect that will change fairly quickly now.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    .....Regarding Pete's marked-up photo showing FJ land ownership, I truly hope the buildings on Sheridan that make it to the sidewalk are retained. They are worthwhile structures for adaptive reuse.
    Any ideas?

Clearing out the metal buildings and rehabbing the historical warehouses would make a great bar district.

Tons of parking and removed from any homeowners.

Picture those warehouses with overhead doors leading to big patios... Food truck pulled up, etc.

6. Default Re: Fred Jones Building

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    Any ideas?
    Yes...hire a qualified architect sensitive to HP and urban planning issues!

I'm wondering... can we assume this will be a "preservationist" renovation? For example, leaving the "Fred Jones Mfg" signage in place, and the water tower on the roof, etc?

Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel to Fred Jones Building

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    As far as Project 180 reconstruction goes on Main St. is Lee right now. On Sheridan, the Film Row streetscaping goes to Shartel. I wonder if there will be work on the streets around the hotel area.
    Interesting question. It sure could use it.

It's probably too early to talk about it now, but it would be cool if the Fred Jones family along with the hotel ownership could work with the city and create some kind of mixed public/private fund to bring P180 style landscaping around the new hotel area.

Interesting location. I wonder how they will handle the paucity of parking in that location?

Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel considering OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ...One North Hudson will still be redeveloped too, but perhaps it now will be housing rather than a hotel....
    Given my choice, I'd prefer a hotel. But either would be great for revitalizing that corner. If it is housing, I hope they put a restaurant (or some such) on top. I want the general public (including me!) to be able to enjoy the views from up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    I think it's pretty exciting. Originally I expected that the revitalization effect would slowly creep westward

<---

Now with this amazing new western anchor, the effect should go both ways, with stuff filling in between

---> . . . . <---

Granted, the immediate area around (what will be) the new 21c hotel is not riveting at the moment. But I suspect that will change fairly quickly now.
    That's what I've been sayin'. This western anchor for OKC is a good thing to help tie in and expand toward the Farmer's Market area, and eventually down into Stockyard City. Downtown is made up of patches with empty nothings in between. This is a great way to connect those empty nothings and turn the fabric of OKC into a quilt.

12. Default Re: Fred Jones Building

Why in the world would anyone want to alter the overall look of that building? For this community it is a unique example of that particular type of industrial architecture (save perhaps the much-smaller Sherman Iron Works in Bricktown). It is one of the most inarguable examples of historic architecture left in OKC. An HP-centric approach to the renovation is the only type that makes sense in this particular instance.

That said, the decision will need to be made as to whether the original Ford Motor Company heritage is emphasized (requiring removal of FJ signage) or whether the later (circa WWII) Fred Jones (re)Manufacturing history is celebrated/preserved. I think normally you would want the former, but owing to the longstanding tenure of the current ownership, you're more likely to see the latter, which in this case is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Wow! What a kick start this is going to be for Film Row / West Downtown. The entire downtown footprint is rapidly densifying. Who here would have believed all this would happen even three years ago? Amazing.
    I believed it was going to happen. If you think things are booming now - just wait, this is a snowball rolling downhill and it is just getting started (and not just in OKC but on a national scale).

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I believed it was going to happen. If you think things are booming now - just wait, this is a snowball rolling downhill and it is just getting started (and not just in OKC but on a national scale).
    Maybe not the best choice of phrases given OKC's weather forecast tomorrow...

j/k

Steve's story.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/3907837?embargo=1

The redevelopment calls for 135 hotel rooms, a contemporary art museum and locally owned restaurant. The building is on the west end of Film Row, and is surrounded by blighted properties.
    The tentative partnership agreement between Hall Capital and 21c calls for the hotel group to be lead developer and to also manage the completed hotel and museum. Greenberg visited Oklahoma City last week and started conversations with city, state and federal officials to request a mix of public financing needed to make the project a reality.

Some of the assistance, tax increment financing, historic tax credits and new market tax credits, are similar to funding providing for the renovation of the Skirvin Hilton Hotel in 2006.
    Greenberg said the museum displays at all the hotels are free to the public, and the galleries double as event space open to civic groups, film screenings and cultural presentations. The museums are typically open 24 hours a day, seven a days a week.

“One of the really fun things about our museum is a focus on works of all media,” Greenberg said. “We have a lot interactive art, which usually involves a form of video, as well as sound art, paintings and photographs.”
    “This building has great history, it has great potential as a hotel museum and restaurant,” Greenberg said. “We welcome the opportunity to become a catalyst for further redevelopment of west downtown and Film Row.”

This thread should probably now be merged with the new thread about the hotel. I posted this in that thread also.

Steve's story.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/3907837?embargo=1

The redevelopment calls for 135 hotel rooms, a contemporary art museum and locally owned restaurant. The building is on the west end of Film Row, and is surrounded by blighted properties.
    The tentative partnership agreement between Hall Capital and 21c calls for the hotel group to be lead developer and to also manage the completed hotel and museum. Greenberg visited Oklahoma City last week and started conversations with city, state and federal officials to request a mix of public financing needed to make the project a reality.

Some of the assistance, tax increment financing, historic tax credits and new market tax credits, are similar to funding providing for the renovation of the Skirvin Hilton Hotel in 2006.
    Greenberg said the museum displays at all the hotels are free to the public, and the galleries double as event space open to civic groups, film screenings and cultural presentations. The museums are typically open 24 hours a day, seven a days a week.

“One of the really fun things about our museum is a focus on works of all media,” Greenberg said. “We have a lot interactive art, which usually involves a form of video, as well as sound art, paintings and photographs.”
    [QUOTE]“This building has great history, it has great potential as a hotel museum and restaurant,” Greenberg said. “We welcome the opportunity to become a catalyst for further redevelopment of west downtown and Film Row.”[/QUOTE

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    This project makes me wish we were putting in a linear streetcar route from 235 to Classen on Sheridan. I know it is water under the bridge for this phase but I hope (really badly) that someone is considering the transit opportunities of that corridor.
    Yes, that would be very cool. That would traverse the heart of downtown from eastmost to westmost points.

At the very least, we've got to have a line running through Film Row at some point. Imagine passing through here:

With a stop at (or near) Joey's Pizzeria.

135 rooms, eh? Well, Pete's estimate of 150 was a little high, but not by much.

I suspect with that count, the rooms would be quite, well... roomy!

I'm guessing the funding assistance that Greenberg is requesting will be forthcoming in fairly short order. This project seems like a complete slam dunk. The City of OKC could only have hoped for such a good project and tenant for the old building.

It actually seems to be a better fit than the OCU Law School was proposed earlier for that building.

I really like 21c going into the Fred Jones Building. When Pete first posted that he heard it may go into the Fred Jones Building, I couldn't help but do a small, subtle fist pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    I really like 21c going into the Fred Jones Building. When Pete first posted that he heard it may go into the Fred Jones Building, I couldn't help but do a small, subtle fist pump.
    That's funny. Any particular reason why? Do you have an affinity for that old building or that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    It's better than I could have hoped for. The Hotel Black being redone would have been cool, but it will be redeveloped no matter what. I had thought the Fred Jones Building might stay empty for a long time.

^

I agree completely -- a stunning turn of events that no one thought possible for at least another five years.

Got to give credit to Chip Fudge (and others, like Dunlap Codding and the Paramount folks) for getting Film Row to the point that something like this is even possible.

It also means that Main Street really needs to pick up it's game; and the fact we will be using taxpayer money to build a fortress of an elevation for the new police station now looks even more misguided.

Speaking for myself, I like the idea of the museum being open 24/7. I don't always sleep well and one does grow tired of Waffle House or IHoP as a goto time killer.

Does make me wonder ... will the most transient among us develop a deeper appreciation for the arts? If so, at least I'll have some company.

Thread Information