Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Was ANYTHING better 'back then' than now?

Default Re: Was ANYTHING better 'back then' than now?

Quote Originally Posted by whorton View Post

7. Neighborhoods Without a doubt, the internet, social media, smart phones and technology have all conspired to ensure we know little about our neighbors, who could often be trusted to look out for our benefit. Consider, watching our houses when we were gone, keeping an eye on the local kids and keeping parents informed if their kids got out of line. . Today, even though I make a effort to introduce myself to neighbors, and speak to them often, there is no real relationship there. The relationship does not seem to be recuperated. Not to mention most of the houses are now on their 4th or 5th generation occupant families.
    Yes, no question about this.

Was just talking to someone about this, how so few people interact with their neighbors any more and the bad impact that has on society in general.

There are a million reasons for this but the effect is certainly detrimental.

2. Default Re: Was ANYTHING better 'back then' than now?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, no question about this.

Was just talking to someone about this, how so few people interact with their neighbors any more and the bad impact that has on society in general.

There are a million reasons for this but the effect is certainly detrimental.
    Just to play devil's advocate here.... The digital world has allowed me to know things about my neighbors I might have never been able to know before.

Default Re: Was ANYTHING better 'back then' than now?

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate here.... The digital world has allowed me to know things about my neighbors I might have never been able to know before.
    True.

Can you give an example of that knowledge improving your quality of life?

I suppose things like the sex offender registry are things we never had before.

4. Default Re: Was ANYTHING better 'back then' than now?

I know it's been said but I would say social interaction as a whole.

I was in college when Facebook came out and it was starting hit it's stride when I graduated. I can't imagine going to high school and college now with it. It's hard for me to explain. I wouldn't call it an invasion of privacy, but we know plenty about people due to the sharing and posting we can see on a daily basis. So when I see a "friend" out I haven't seen in a while, it's hard and awkward sometimes to have that "catch up" chat since I already know what's going on with them. Probably why high school reunions are going down.

Only helping fuel that is the smartphone. I am guilty just as anyone pulling my phone out and getting lost. There is a time and place for it though. I can't stand when I go out to eat and see a family out as well, but all the kids have their head in the phones or iPads and not talking to each other while the parents are chatting away.

As for real estate it's a catch 22. The advancements of Zillow and Trulia have made it much easier for buyers and sellers to get the information they need. However, our MLS gives way too much information to these sites, and more and more this information gets used by buyers and sellers, then they realize they only need us to get in a house. So the old days of real estate of getting in the car with the agent and them driving you around to see houses you might like are over. This is why there is an internal battle brewing between realtors, as well as realtors and sellers. The emergence of limited listings/flat fees has thrown a serious wrench in the cog. Pay a small fee to a brokerage and they will put your home on the MLS. What they don't say is that while you get that exposure, you are on your own for everything else (contracts, negotiating, inspections, ect). A handful of people are fine with that, but I have seen too many go this route and get taken advantage of by the other realtor. We have never had to show our value more in today's climate.

5. Default Re: Was ANYTHING better 'back then' than now?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    True.

Can you give an example of that knowledge improving your quality of life?

I suppose things like the sex offender registry are things we never had before.
    That and I was able to look at a lot of crime statistics before I bought my house. I also had a pretty good outlook on the average age of those living around my home too.... I was able to do a lot of research on my home about the neighborhood before I even considered taking the first step of financing it.

Thread Information