Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: In-n-Out Burger

Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

Yes, completely family owned.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I don't believe that In-N-Out is a franchise... I'd think that the Garage and In-N-Out's models were different enough for both to succeed also.
    I didn't know that about it not being a franchise. I assumed it was, like McDonald's or BK. I agree on the different models.

For a fascinating read, check the local library (or a good used books website) and read "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser. It chronicles the history of fast food restaurant in the U.S., beginning with Carl Karcher of Carl's Jr. fame. The book is very critical of the fast food industry but he does spend time discussing In-N-Out, and holds them up as a bright spot in the industry. The last few posts here made me think of this and I thought some might find it interesting.

In-N-Out is known for being a fantastic fast food company to work for, as well as providing a great product at a reasonable price. Anytime I'm near one, I always pick it if I need something quick.

Almost always, their employees seem very happy to be there.

Can't think of another fast food chain where this is even remotely true.

6. Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

The first time I went was in California. They had the minimum hourly rates / benefits and other employee highlights on every tray (all which seemed above and beyond for a fast food restaurant).

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    For a fascinating read, check the local library (or a good used books website) and read "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser. It chronicles the history of fast food restaurant in the U.S., beginning with Carl Karcher of Carl's Jr. fame. The book is very critical of the fast food industry but he does spend time discussing In-N-Out, and holds them up as a bright spot in the industry. The last few posts here made me think of this and I thought some might find it interesting.
    I second this recommendation. Insightful read.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Almost always, their employees seem very happy to be there.

Can't think of another fast food chain where this is even remotely true.
    ChickFilA does a good job at - at least making their employees seem happy to be there... lol

Chic-fil-A employee definitely seem happy to be there. More importantly, they seem to offer far superior customer service, IMO, compared to other fast food chains.

10. Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    ChickFilA does a good job at - at least making their employees seem happy to be there... lol
    They start them out at $8 an hour. Honestly I would have killed for that being a 16 year old only finding jobs for minimum wage.

I agree I think Chickfila is probably the only other fast food place where employees really seem to enjoy working there. But I also think there is some prestige, especially in the fast food industry with places like Chickfila and In-N-Out, so they get to be a little pickier when choosing people to work there, which helps.

In-N-Out and Chick-fil-A are both privately held, family companies with a Christian background and each of them have a three syllable, hyphenated name. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    In-N-Out and Chick-fil-A are both privately held, family companies with a Christian background and each of them have a three syllable, hyphenated name. Coincidence?
    I don't believe in coincidences.

14. Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    They start them out at $8 an hour. Honestly I would have killed for that being a 16 year old only finding jobs for minimum wage.
    But today's minimum wage is $7.25/hr...

$8 an hour obviously isn't a living wage. But I've experienced the well oiled machine that is in-n-out. And I've got to agree with others that they always seem happy. I'm betting it all comes down to organization. This is your task, complete it, and get a check. I worked all kinds of fast food and pizza as a kid and it was the disorganization that turned me sour. "Go organize the freezer because it hasn't been done in a week." "Steam the grease filters so we don't have to hire the pros."

I didn't mind deep cleaning but those types of jobs often come with bizarre and disgruntling requests to do work that you aren't being paid appropriately for. As a grocery sacker I was once ordered to scrub and sanitize the butchers meat locker (while the meat was put in the produce walk-in, gross!!!). I got reconstituted blood + bleach on my shoes and pants, ruining them and costing 10x the $4.15/hr wage I earned. I'm not at all bashful by stating that it was a homeland. But I worked 3 other grocers before moving to fast food and it was a common practice.

16. Default forget In-N-Out Burger, maybe OKC should cort CaliBurger!

Guys, In-N-Out has a major competitor known as CaliBurger.

Coincidentally, CaliBurger is based in Seattle and is sort of a response to In-N-Out NOT locating up here. They are expanding rapidly and appears to desire to go where In-N-Out is not.

Perhaps we should start a campaign to get them to open a location in the inner downtown core and OCU/Plaza, UCO, and OU areas? And notice they CaliBurger FRANCHISES!!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Wife's on the way home from Dallas with some In-N-Out burgers!! Better several hours old than not at all!! Last time they packed each vegetable topping seperately so it didn't get all soggy and mushy. That's service.

Am the only one that thinks In n Out is slightly overrated? Im a Fatburger guy.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Am the only one that thinks In n Out is slightly overrated? Im a Fatburger guy.
    I'm with you in that it's overrated, more than slightly though. People like the price, or at least it's the first thing everybody jumps on when defending it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I'm with you in that it's overrated, more than slightly though. People like the price, or at least it's the first thing everybody jumps on when defending it.
    I've only seen people refer to In-N-Out's "price" when its compared to burger joints that are more "fast casual" or even sit down restaurants rather than other fast food joints. More often I see people refer to the quality and freshness of their ingredients and the pleasantness of their employees.

Edited to add: If you go back through the thread, you'll find this exact conversation has been played through multiple times whenever someone revives the thread with a rumor or whatever.

1. Post spreading a rumor about In-N-Out coming or lamenting that it hasn't come yet
    2. Posts agreeing with the lamentations and destroying whatever rumor is being spread
    3. General agreement that In-N-Out is awesome
    4. Someone posting a "am I the only one who think In-N-Out isn't that great?" post
    5. People agreeing that In-N-Out isn't that awesome
    6. People explaining why In-N-Out is indeed awesome (usually Pete)
    7. Thread sits silent for several months or longer until step 1 repeats

Interestingly, we seem to have lost 17 pages of this cycle at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    I've only seen people refer to In-N-Out's "price" when its compared to burger joints that are more "fast casual" or even sit down restaurants rather than other fast food joints. More often I see people refer to the quality and freshness of their ingredients and the pleasantness of their employees.

Edited to add: If you go back through the thread, you'll find this exact conversation has been played through multiple times whenever someone revives the thread with a rumor or whatever.

1. Post spreading a rumor about In-N-Out coming or lamenting that it hasn't come yet
    2. Posts agreeing with the lamentations and destroying whatever rumor is being spread
    3. General agreement that In-N-Out is awesome
    4. Someone posting a "am I the only one who think In-N-Out isn't that great?" post
    5. People agreeing that In-N-Out isn't that awesome
    6. People explaining why In-N-Out is indeed awesome (usually Pete)
    7. Thread sits silent for several months or longer until step 1 repeats

Interestingly, we seem to have lost 17 pages of this cycle at some point.
    Lmao, that sounds about right! And I think I am number 4 every time

Quote Originally Posted by thomas vu View Post
    i'm with you in that it's overrated, more than slightly though. People like the price, or at least it's the first thing everybody jumps on when defending it.
    "highly"

Those that think it's overrated or just not that good are in the very extreme minority.

I was at first indifferent towards it but then learned how I liked my burger cooked and was soon hooked.

It's high-quality, fresh, inexpensive and served by people who are generally happy to be there. For fast food, that's about as good as it gets.

All that said, it's a fast food hamburger and there is only so much that can be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Those that think it's overrated or just not that good are in the very extreme minority.

I was at first indifferent towards it but then learned how I liked my burger cooked and was soon hooked.

It's high-quality, fresh, inexpensive and served by people who are generally happy to be there. For fast food, that's about as good as it gets.

All that said, it's a fast food hamburger and there is only so much that can be expected.
    I think its the best "fast food burger" out there, until I had ever went , I thought they were more of a sit down and eat a burger kinda place, never new they were fast food. And the fact they serve shakes is a real plus.... The one beef I have with most the burger places around here, is they don't serve shakes, with exceptions of Tuckers or fast food places....

My expectations were higher and I was kinda let down to find out it was a fast food burger... the plus is, its easy on the wallet..

The service is great, first time I went they learned it was my first time there and even delivered my tray similar to a waiter would (or whataburger). Also asked if I needed salt, pepper, ketchup, and/or napkins (also similar to whataburger). While my lady friend had to go pick hers up hahaha.

Thread Information