Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hole-in-the-wall establishments

Default Hole-in-the-wall establishments

Hey all! Every week I'm trying to get friends together at a place most of us have never heard of. As you can imagine, finding places you don't know about can be tricky. For us, we're usually gathering at a bar/pub but I would love to hear about any type of place. And don't be worried about listing something that everyone ends up knowing about. Maybe I'm the one guy who hasn't!

The Dugout - 10909 N May Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73120

Pretty spacious area inside with a patio outside. Has a fair amount of tvs with one projector. Good prices on drinks and a reasonable menu. It allows smoking which I wasn't into so you can be prepared for that. We watched an OU game here on Thursday and I think they do free weekly trivia on that day. Overall a decent place that I may watch a few Thunder games at.

Default Re: Hole-in-the-wall establishments

Edna's for a lunchbox or six...Nuff said

3. Default Re: Hole-in-the-wall establishments

Red Rooster on 30th and Walker

Urban Roots-Deep Duece

Cajun King! Its so good, straight out of a hole in the wall in New Orleans.

The Mill (just west of Henry Hudson's on NW 58th Street)!

The Scorecard in the Plaza District.

Martha's Tavern on 10th (about a half mile east of Council Road on the north side if the street).

Neighborhood Lounge on 4th near downtown.

The Wilshire Club [/thread]

Seriously, it's a great dive. We spent one evening with another couple and we hit up Wilshire Club, Store Club, The Porthole, and Mike's. Good little sample of the NW side's dive bars (although Mike's might not qualify)

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    The Wilshire Club [/thread]

Seriously, it's a great dive. We spent one evening with another couple and we hit up Wilshire Club, Store Club, The Porthole, and Mike's. Good little sample of the NW side's dive bars (although Mike's might not qualify)
    I was going to mention the bar on the SW corner of 50th & Portland, alas, you knew the actual name ;-) Theh Wilshire Club is a cool lil spot. Love the backdoor entrance...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I would really like to check that place out. Do they really offer cocktails and dancing, or is it just crappy 3.2 beer?

One advantage: short ride to the jail if things get outta hand.

Richard's Club is a fav during Thunder games. 16th and Portland. Real blue-collar neighborhood joint.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I was going to mention the bar on the SW corner of 50th & Portland, alas, you knew the actual name ;-) Theh Wilshire Club is a cool lil spot. Love the backdoor entrance...
    Store Club had a kinda weird feel to it, actually felt a little more out of place there than we did at Wilshire Club. Wilshire Club appeared to be a hangout of trashy (read: more down to earth) Nichols Hills people and it was very welcoming.

You definitely would have to know where you are going to stumble upon it. My friend found out about it by pulling in to the parking lot to turn around and he saw the door and a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Richard's Club is a fav during Thunder games. 16th and Portland. Real blue-collar neighborhood joint.
    Pass that place daily on the way home from picking up my girl from school. It was on our list for our last dive bar crawl, but we didn't make it. Were gonna hit there and Hawaiian Don's

Pass that place daily on the way home from picking up my girl from school. It was on our list for our last dive bar crawl, but we didn't make it. Were gonna hit there and Hawaiian Don's
    Both are pretty fun, albeit VERY SMOKEY. Prepare yourself. Hawaiian Don's is owned by Mick Cornett's brother, Don, a very nice guy.

Both are pretty fun, albeit VERY SMOKY. Prepare yourself. Hawaiian Don's is owned by Mick Cornett's brother, Don, a very nice guy.
    You go on a dive bar night, you expect smoky. Wilshire Club was the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Martha's Tavern on 10th (about a half mile east of Council Road on the north side if the street).
    Please describe this place.

You go on a dive bar night, you expect smoky. Wilshire Club was the same way.
    Just don't ask for Richard. He doesn't work there. The owners kept the name to keep the license. That's why I want to know more about Martha's Tavern.

The think I've always liked about Richard's Club is their sign out front advertising their happy hour, which is 7-9 AM. You gotta love a bar that offers a happy hour at 7 a.m.

Just don't ask for Richard. He doesn't work there. The owners kept the name to keep the license. That's why I want to know more about Martha's Tavern.

The think I've always liked about Richard's Club is their sign out front advertising their happy hour, which is 7-9 AM. You gotta love a bar that offers a happy hour at 7 a.m.
    Hey man, third shifters need somewhere to go after a hard night's work! Speaking of, I miss reverse happy hours that we had when we lived in Phoenix

21. Default Re: Hole-in-the-wall establishments

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Used to drive by that place every day to and from work. Very...um...colorful.

A friend of mine hits up the Store Club every now and then, she seems to meet some interesting characters. Granddad's on 23rd is apparently a pretty cool place, though I don't know if you'd call it a dive? I've not been. But it's definitely not a fancy place.

I know some people really like Lumpy's on NW Expressway and Mac, they have karaoke some nights.

Sipango used to be a standard divey hangout for a relative of mine, it was "his bar." According to him.
    Still corrupting young minds

Is Lumpy's the place in the Weokie building?

Did Martha's Bar used to be The Lamplighter Club? (like, back in the '70s)

Neighborhood Lounge has a full bar and karaoke on Thursday nights.

It's also smoke-free.

Pahdz,
    Yes, and there is another one on North May, just North of 122nd.
    C. T.
    Is Lumpy's the place in the Weokie building?

Thread Information