Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunshine Cleaners

Default Re: Sunshine Cleaners

An article in the Journal Record by Molly Fleming said that the operator of the taproom and restaurant in this project will be Joel Irby from Colorado.

He is currently involved in the Avery Brewing Company in Boulder.

Age Verification - Avery Brewing Company

Just got my hands on a full rendering for the renovation.

They will reuse the existing and awesome casement windows. And, of course, chop down the trees growing inside and put a roof on the place.

3. Default Re: Sunshine Cleaners

Fantastic. The place is in such good hands. One of my 3 or 4 favorite buildings in OKC.

Oh hell yeah.

5. Default Re: Sunshine Cleaners

I cannot express how pleased I am with the progress this city has made in the craft beer industry. It is not just the increased quantity that I enjoy, but rather the quality that each brewery distributes. Per capita, Oklahoma City is really putting itself on the map (pun intended).

That part along Classen would be great for a protected bike lane and a patio out there. About time OKC sees some good news! This will be super cool.

I'm tickled, this is going to be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
    I cannot express how pleased I am with the progress this city has made in the craft beer industry. It is not just the increased quantity that I enjoy, but rather the quality that each brewery distributes. Per capita, Oklahoma City is really putting itself on the map (pun intended).
    Agree. The local breweries have made me a big beer fan.

Sitting here drinking a Coop Native Amber, in fact.

9. Default Re: Sunshine Cleaners

^^^^^^
    My go-to.

Coming from a position of having really no clue how the current laws restrict breweries, how much could those plans be effected by the potential legal changes coming down? If nothing changes for another few years, will they have to adjust what they're planning?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Coming from a position of having really no clue how the current laws restrict breweries, how much could those plans be effected by the potential legal changes coming down? If nothing changes for another few years, will they have to adjust what they're planning?
    Of all the different bills being talked about, I dont think any of them allow breweries to sell packaged products straight to the public from their brewery. Which is dumb and it inhibits them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just got my hands on a full rendering for the renovation.

They will reuse the existing and awesome casement windows. And, of course, chop down the trees growing inside and put a roof on the place.

They need to put a beard on the guy on the bike so it will look like Dodson...

Pete, do you know why no sidewalks are depicted along Classen in this rendering? Is it a ROW issue and they expect the city to add them at a later date?

Sidewalks ^^^Probably because they don't want to hook themselves on having to build sidewalks, whether it's a classen streetscape project or part of their impact charge. The architects wouldn't want the developers to have to build sidewalks simply because it was in the rendering/plan. The zoning Dept takes great issue with details like that when reviewing and inspecting plans/finished product.

Glad to see this! A lot of the old OKC I grew up with in the 50s and 60s is gone now (some of it needs to be gone); it's nice to see a few of the old landmarks restored/repurposed. Kind of like seeing an old friend when I get back to town. I read yesterday/today that the sign will remain (not news to many of you who have digits on the city's pulse) and that pleases me as well. I guess the trees inside do need to go!

Took these today...

The last two of the inside are the southeast corner of the building and quite a bit lower than the rest of the structure. This is where the restaurant & bar will go.

The second floor that you see will be offices for the Pivot Group. The rest of the ground floor will be the brewery and taproom.

Great new pix, Pete. Watch your step!

What happened to the boat? it's seems to be replaced by a completely stripped pickup cab. They've cleaned that place up A LOT.

Oh boy! They have a lot of work to do.

It's a fixer upper, that's for sure!

Did I read correctly recently that they received approval for something like $550,000 in TIF funds? If so, why? If the numbers werent going to work, then why did they purchase the building?

TIF money for new construction is one thing, TIF money for a massive and important project like First National or 21C is another but for this? I think the city might be getting a little too generous.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I think the city might be getting a little too generous.
    I couldn't disagree with you more. TIF going to historic preservation is a very worthy cause IMO. I'd be far more concerned with the city subsidizing the next strip mall development over a rehab of this nature.

Your right but if they had a plan "B" where they did a demo and new build, you would have had hundreds of preservationists telling them how they're destroying our history (even though the property is blight in its highest form). So its damned if they do and damned if they dont.

Feelings about TIF aside, this project is as deserving as any and the award is in line with other grants.

25. Default Re: Sunshine Cleaners

Also, I would tend to agree with the city if their premise for granting TIF was to ensure the momentum of development did not stall in this side of the city. Recall that the city has made tremendous effort in revitalizing Film Row - now this will be an extension (making the district bigger) so it is in the city's best interest to ensure this blighted development happens.

I do agree, however, that new or future rehabs should be better scrutinized but as Pete said, they're no less deserving than anything developers in Bricktown or AAlley receive as this helps the city core as a whole which is ultimately what we all want.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information