Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 104th and S. May

South OKC 104th and S. May

I live near 104th and S. May and today we got a letter from Continental Properties saying they were about to build. Here's what the letter said:

Dear Neighbor:

Our company, Continental Properties Company, Inc. ("Continental") plans to develop, own, and operate a Class-A, market rate multi-family development project on approximately 40 acres of land located near the northeast corner of South May Avenue and SW 104th Street in Oklahoma City, as indicated on the enclosed vicinity map.
    The letter continues to go on inviting everyone to come to a meeting to allow them to introduce themselves and their proposal. Wanting to get everyone's feedback and answer questions. Below is the map they supplied (I added some identifiers to make it easier to read). I'm assuming "multi-family development" is another way of saying apartments?

Default Re: 104th and S. May

Interesting. I live off of 104th and wondered how long until this area became something. I like how they left the strip off of 104th, probably for retail one of these days.

Now, unless I"m mistaken, there's also an apartment project going in on the south side of 104th just east of May - directly across from the area you're referencing. I'm not crazy about apartments, but in looking at the elevations for the project I saw, they're going to have a least a significant percentage of brick veneer and decent exterior treatments, so I'm not going to complain too much. As if it would matter if I did

The next question is whether I've gotten confused and the project you're referring to is actually the same one I've seen, and I just got the north/south designation messed up.

I'm still hoping for some nice restaurant to go in in that outparcel on the SW corner of 104th and May - not looking for anything fancy, just something pleasant and consistent. There's also quite a bit of undeveloped space south of the Firestone and north of that drive into the addition there (Earlywine Blvd in Lakridge, if I'm not mistaken).

4. Default Re: 104th and S. May

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Now, unless I"m mistaken, there's also an apartment project going in on the south side of 104th just east of May - directly across from the area you're referencing. I'm not crazy about apartments, but in looking at the elevations for the project I saw, they're going to have a least a significant percentage of brick veneer and decent exterior treatments, so I'm not going to complain too much. As if it would matter if I did

The next question is whether I've gotten confused and the project you're referring to is actually the same one I've seen, and I just got the north/south designation messed up.
    I can confirm you are correct about the project you are mentioning..... Not at liberty to give much more information about that project though.

Two apartment complexes going up there is going to be huge for Crest's business and there is still a large parcel of land due south of Crest to be developed.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I can confirm you are correct about the project you are mentioning..... Not at liberty to give much more information about that project though.

Two apartment complexes going up there is going to be huge for Crest's business and there is still a large parcel of land due south of Crest to be developed.
    Hmmm...I take it there's information not already in the plans presented to the city...just have wait and see on that, I guess.

Like I said...I'm just hoping for a nice, family oriented sit-down place somewhere at that intersection. Seems a prime location for one.

But then again, maybe these apartments will entice restaurants on the airport retail project. That's only a mile down the road anyways.

7. Default Re: 104th and S. May

Hmmm...I take it there's information not already in the plans presented to the city...just have wait and see on that, I guess.
    Not that I know of. I was only involved in the conceptual phase of the project. I don't know what may have changed since then.

SouthsideSooner Guest

I did a google search of Continental Properties and discovered that they are a huge national developer. They have a pretty long list of multi family developements across the country all branded as "The Springs". This is from there website...

"Each of our Springs apartment communities offer townhome-style apartment living with ground-level private entries. Springs communities feature studio to 3-bedroom apartment homes, a clubhouse, resort-style pool, 24-hour fitness center, business center, dog park, and attached and detached garages. Coupled with additional unique amenities such as a free car care center and pet spa area, the Springs create the best in suburban apartment living."

Springs Apartments

This sounds like a great project for that piece of property...
    Last edited by SouthsideSooner; 10-25-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: bad link

Looks like nice apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideSooner View Post
    I did a google search of Continental Properties and discovered that they are a huge national developer. They have a pretty long list of multi family developements across the country all branded as "The Springs". This is from there website...

"Each of our Springs apartment communities offer townhome-style apartment living with ground-level private entries. Springs communities feature studio to 3-bedroom apartment homes, a clubhouse, resort-style pool, 24-hour fitness center, business center, dog park, and attached and detached garages. Coupled with additional unique amenities such as a free car care center and pet spa area, the Springs create the best in suburban apartment living."

Springs Apartments

This sounds like a great project for that piece of property...
    That's *great* news! Don't mind apartments if they're going toward the nicer variety.

Maybe the nice apartments will attract a nice RESTAURANT on 104th and May (insert sound of dead horse being beaten )

It would be nice if they would build a Target or Super Walmart near 104th and South May. The stores in east Moore is really too far for us. I did hear that the land on 104th Street by Qudoba Grill, might be a Chick Fila.

I hate it that my first post may sound negative. However as someone who lives in the adjacent neighborhood I'm disappointed to hear this. I checked the zoning before I purchased and would not have bought if I had known it could include apartments. This is just setting up south may to be the next 1-240 in about a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by storybookmom View Post
    It would be nice if they would build a Target or Super Walmart near 104th and South May. The stores in east Moore is really too far for us. I did hear that the land on 104th Street by Qudoba Grill, might be a Chick Fila.
    There's already a Target just a few minutes south in Moore, and I frankly don't have any use for more Super WalMarts. The one at Santa Fe and I=240, Newcastle, or Moore seem ample options for me.

I'm thankful the WalMart originally planned for 104th and May fell through.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    I hate it that my first post may sound negative. However as someone who lives in the adjacent neighborhood I'm disappointed to hear this. I checked the zoning before I purchased and would not have bought if I had known it could include apartments. This is just setting up south may to be the next 1-240 in about a decade.
    Apartments in and of themselves don't create bad areas. Many times they go down as the surrounding neighborhoods go down and they are just more visible in showing issues. I would like to know where some people on here expect young people to live before they are settled into a location and are still somewhat transient. I guess one is just supposed to immediately marry after college and buy a house.

There's already a Target just a few minutes south in Moore, and I frankly don't have any use for more Super WalMarts. The one at Santa Fe and I=240, Newcastle, or Moore seem ample options for me.

I think a Super Target would be very convenient for many people in West Moore. It is 7 miles to the Target in east Moore. I heard that they are already planning to build a Target on SW 104th & I-44. Not sure if this is true or just a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    Apartments in and of themselves don't create bad areas. Many times they go down as the surrounding neighborhoods go down and they are just more visible in showing issues. I would like to know where some people on here expect young people to live before they are settled into a location and are still somewhat transient. I guess one is just supposed to immediately marry after college and buy a house.
    A lot of singles myself included buy houses. While apartment dwellers come and go, my house is a major investment. I would have preferred to avoid the light pollution, noise, additional congestion, the loss of scenic view from my backyard and the eventual crime in 15 years when the apartment dwellers have moved on to the newer apartment complex. The village south apartments at western make sense to me. From Western it doesn't appear that they dominate the neighborhoods behind.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    I agree. Not everybody can afford to or wants to live downtown either, especially young couples. Apartment owners simply need stay on top of their complexes because once it starts going downhill its difficult to reverse i.e. Penn and NW 122nd. However, apartments can remain desirable for decades if managed well.

I agree. OKC has enough Wal-Marts. Target at 104th and I-44 would be nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by storybookmom View Post
    I think a Super Target would be very convenient for many people in West Moore. It is 7 miles to the Target in east Moore. I heard that they are already planning to build a Target on SW 104th & I-44. Not sure if this is true or just a rumor.
    The Moore city limits only extend as far west as one half mile west of Santa Fe. The current Target would be much more convenient for anyone living anywhere in Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    The Moore city limits only extend as far west as one half mile west of Santa Fe. The current Target would be much more convenient for anyone living anywhere in Moore.
    Agreed but kind of splitting hairs as most people living in and around sw 104 and sw 119 are more in tune with Moore than okc. I technically live in okc but I really consider myself Really a Moore person as that is where my kids go to school. Our dentist, orthodontist, etc are all in Moore. That whole area really blends together. The previous poster is correct in that there really isn't a target that is convenient to those in sw okc/ "west Moore". The south Moore location is difficult to get to because it is all city street driving and not highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Agreed but kind of splitting hairs as most people living in and around sw 104 and sw 119 are more in tune with Moore than okc. I technically live in okc but I really consider myself Really a Moore person as that is where my kids go to school. Our dentist, orthodontist, etc are all in Moore. That whole area really blends together. The previous poster is correct in that there really isn't a target that is convenient to those in sw okc/ "west Moore". The south Moore location is difficult to get to because it is all city street driving and not highway.
    It may be semantics, but SW OKC isn't Moore, as she said. Also getting to the area in question from most of far SW OKC is also city streets. Far NW OKC isn't Edmond or Piedmont and far west OKC isn't Mustang or Yukon whether they run together or not. It isn't splitting hairs at all. You're thinking about school districts, which is an entirely different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I agree. OKC has enough Wal-Marts. Target at 104th and I-44 would be nice though.
    Really, OKC has more than enough Walmarts and I would't mind seeing one or two of them torn down and something much better built on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It may be semantics, but SW OKC isn't Moore, as she said. Also getting to the area in question from most of far SW OKC is also city streets. Far NW OKC isn't Edmond or Piedmont and far west OKC isn't Mustang or Yukon whether they run together or not. It isn't splitting hairs at all. You're thinking about school districts, which is an entirely different issue.
    I think the issue becomes what the actually address is opposed to city limits. I know a lot of people between Mustang and Yukon that technically live in OKC that say they live in Mustang or Yukon depending on what their address is. Even more confusing is those that live in OKC limits, have a Yukon address, but say they live in Mustang because again, that's where their kids go to school. Fact is a lot of people do reference where they live by school districts in the Suburbs because they have pride in them. I know the neighborhood down from on its sign that describes it, due to it being still developed, says Westmoore and it's at 89th and Rockwell.

With OKC being so big it's hard to place identity on areas that don't have names such as Bricktown, Paseo, etc. Some people will just refer to the area by its directional location, but sometimes that's confusing. I tend to think of South OKC has that between I44 and Moore, South of 240, but some people have it stuck in their head that this is the area directly South of downtown. Then there are those of us that are West of Will Rogers, what I would consider Southwest OKC, but so geographically speaking I'm practically in Mustang, but again, Moore schools, which most people can't believe even go that far. (I'll admit Moore's school district is huge and way overextended IMO). So really when I try to tell people where I live, in their brain it makes most sense to describe where I live as Mustang. I'm sure there are people reading this right now thinking the very same thing.

I live in the area described. I proudly refer to myself as living in OKC. And many neighbors do too.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I live in the area described. I proudly refer to myself as living in OKC. And many neighbors do too.
    That's interesting. I know part of it is because many of the people I live around, including myself lived in Mustang for a long time, went to school there, and essentially just have moved away from the 'city' center as we have aged and could afford bigger houses on more land. OKC neglects the area so much or half asses it, it's hard to take pride in them.

Thread Information