Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Retail Explosion on Memorial Road

Default Re: Retail Explosion on Memorial Road

Quote Originally Posted by RodH View Post
    There is no need to slam OKC. Projects are proposed and fail to develop all over the country. It is not something unique to this city. No community gets 100%. The more prosperous a community is the more projects you will find that failed to come to fruition.
    I am not slamming OKC as a whole, but you have to admit solid retail developments haven't been a strong point of this city in recent decades especially compared to others its size. The only thing recent I can think of that hasn't been scaled down/cheapened unrecognizably is the outlet mall. If this development gets built as proposed, that is going to signal a huge turning point for this city.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I also like the 8 story hotel, I would like a 15 story Intercontinental hotel placed somewhere along the service road up against the turnpike.
    On the east side of Blackwelder just east of the Church on the Rock would be a good spot!

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    But how would that affect the Braums access?
    And THAT is yet ANOTHER flaw in the plan . . . . =)

Who is the contact for this project? Do they have a website?

Pretty hesitant to believe Costco and Crate and Barrel will come knowing the history of retail in this city. Those are nice stores for here. It's long over due though.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    But how would that affect the Braums access?
    Braums is on the north side of Memorial.

Quote Originally Posted by zachj7 View Post
    Pretty hesitant to believe Costco and Crate and Barrel will come knowing the history of retail in this city. Those are nice stores for here. It's long over due though.
    Agree with this.

8. Default Re: Retail Explosion on Memorial Road

As much as I love this concept and think OKC is way overdue for such a district, I too have my doubts. I've heard for years that Costco would love to come to OKC, but the liquor laws are what keep them from pulling the trigger. Until we see real change to those laws, I doubt they'll make that move.

And while this area of town certainly has the population to support such a money-hungry district, does anyone have concerns about how the area south of it will impact it's popularity? I'd predict safety & theft being a pretty big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I agree with this. If this were any other city, I would say the project is inevitable, but given the history of retail developments here I can't help but have doubts. If this actually turns out as planned, then it will signal a HUGE shift in OKC's retail development history and set the bar much higher for future developments.
    Do you believe there is something indemic to Oklahoma City that will prevent it from making the sort of shifts in development you would like to see as the city gets older and more populous? I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeOKC View Post
    As much as I love this concept and think OKC is way overdue for such a district, I too have my doubts. I've heard for years that Costco would love to come to OKC, but the liquor laws are what keep them from pulling the trigger. Until we see real change to those laws, I doubt they'll make that move.
    Did you miss the part of the first post of the thread where Pete noted a memorandum of understanding has been signed re: Costco?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOcean View Post
    One of the 2 golf bars will have to find another location. No way they can both make it beig that close together.
    Actually, it may help both places succeed. It's not uncommon to find clusters of similar businesses. We see it in retail clothing, eateries, pharmacies, cars and more.

12. Default Re: Retail Explosion on Memorial Road

Actually the history of retail in OKC is exactly why they are coming here. The Macy's in Penn Square was the top grocing store in their chain 2 years ago, Penn Square mall is the top performing mall in simon's chain, The outlet mall more than doubled their sales expectations in the first year and added on & the Sam's on Memorial Road is one of their top 5 stores in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Do you believe there is something indemic to Oklahoma City that will prevent it from making the sort of shifts in development you would like to see as the city gets older and more populous? I don't.
    OKC is where it's at because it gave Bentonville free reign throughout the entire 2000s decade. While other cities were getting quality development, OKC was getting Wal-Marts. Belle Isle is the status quo standard in this city. A change for the better is long, long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    Actually the history of retail in OKC is exactly why they are coming here. The Macy's in Penn Square was the top grocing store in their chain 2 years ago, Penn Square mall is the top performing mall in simon's chain, The outlet mall more than doubled their sales expectations in the first year and added on & the Sam's on Memorial Road is one of their top 5 stores in the country.
    Excellent information and points!

I will add that both Whole Foods and Anthropologie have far exceeded their projections as well.

In fact, I can't think of a situation where a national retailer has come into town and NOT done well. There are probably a few (someone will likely come up with one) but the point remains that overwhelmingly, OKC has rewarded those that set up shop here.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    OKC is where it's at because it gave Bentonville free reign throughout the entire 2000s decade. While other cities were getting quality development, OKC was getting Wal-Marts. Belle Isle is the status quo standard in this city. A change for the better is long, long overdue.
    That is not an answer to the question I posed.

Pete, this is spreading around like crazy. I've already had a few friends call me about it. Some as far away as Tulsa. Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Actually, it may help both places succeed. It's not uncommon to find clusters of similar businesses. We see it in retail clothing, eateries, pharmacies, cars and more.
    i disagree whole heartedly...this is not the same as a few clothing stored being grouped together. this is a niche entertainment idea. Two can work in this city no problem, but not a mile apart.

Well this definitely explains why TopGolf suddenly made their announcement. I know they always want an anchor draw and Cabelas would definitely be something along the lines of what they're looking for.

As to the Skybox/TopGolf debate, it'll be interesting to see if Skybox has any social/game aspect to it like TopGolf otherwise whomever mentioned that it'd be hard to support both is probably right especially if Skybox is basically just an indoor driving range.

Completely disagree. Every major upscale chain has far exceeded expectations in sales, enough that Costco is apparently near closing a deal inspite of our ridiculous liquor laws.

In addition to the successes previously mentioned, Von Maur, nordstrom rack, anthropology, H&M (kind upscale I guess), and several other upscale stores in the outlet mall are open or are opening soon. Anyone have an idea of how well Nordstrom rack is doing so far? I assume we won't have anything concrete until the end of the quarter but it's always packed.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Pete, this is spreading around like crazy. I've already had a few friends call me about it. Some as far away as Tulsa. Good work!
    Yeah, I heard the developer wasn't too happy about all this -- which is pretty much another confirmation.

It's a fine line because we certainly don't want to get in the way of leasing deals but information wants to be free and people want to know about these things.

And really, this is just a testament to all the connected people on this site. I receive so much great info from dozens of people that have various connections around town.

BTW, I heard Cabela's may be making a press release very soon about coming to OKC. This has happened several times when we get something out and then there is a scramble to make an official announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivalyn View Post
    Well this definitely explains why TopGolf suddenly made their announcement. I know they always want an anchor draw and Cabelas would definitely be something along the lines of what they're looking for.

As to the Skybox/TopGolf debate, it'll be interesting to see if Skybox has any social/game aspect to it like TopGolf otherwise whomever mentioned that it'd be hard to support both is probably right especially if Skybox is basically just an indoor driving range.
    Would love for one of the two to go in south of the river near downtown or maybe north of it depending on how much room it would take. It would be a great addition to the emerging outdoor sports district on the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yeah, I heard the developer wasn't too happy about all this -- which is pretty much another confirmation.

It's a fine line because we certainly don't want to get in the way of leasing deals but information wants to be free and people want to know about these things.

And really, this is just a testament to all the connected people on this site. I receive so much great info from dozens of people that have various connections around town.

BTW, I heard Cabela's may be making a press release very soon about coming to OKC. This has happened several times when we get something out and then there is a scramble to make an official announcement.
    Eh, I guess you can't win them all. Thanks for reporting it in any case.

Looks like the Retail Endeavors Group connected with this development had these plans under a different name. Retail Endeavors Group :: The Collection at Quail Springs Ranch.

I've been telling everyone I know that an entertainment/retail space is sorely needed to retain more of my generation versus watching everyone take flight to Dallas and such so it's interesting to see that idea validated by what appears to be a lot of investment money.

Well TopGolf will be too addicted to the traffic patterns and honestly since it has an entertainment/game aspect, it probably fits in better. Maybe Skybox will take this time to re-evaluate locations.

This would be awesome . . . can we get an Ikea next?

Thread Information