Widgets Magazine
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Retail Explosion on Memorial Road

Default Re: Retail Explosion on Memorial Road

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    That is a fact, not unnecessary negative spin.
    Just because you declare it to be "fact" doesn't make it, in fact, a "fact," nor does it negate the "fact" that your "fact" continues to be unnecessary negative spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I see now that the Tulsa myth has been completely refuted you've moved on to another whole host of cities.
    It's called trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    Just because you declare it to be "fact" doesn't make it, in fact, a "fact," nor does it negate the "fact" that your "fact" continues to be unnecessary negative spin.
    One of the first rules of online forums. If you don't like what is said but you can't refute it, attack the poster.

I think the Drivetimes, shown at Post #657, are . . . "optimistic".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	8045

One of the first rules of online forums. If you don't like what is said but you can't refute it, attack the poster.
    The rule just before that one says that when someone challenges your assertions that your opinions are "facts," then claim it's a personal attack rather than a challenge of your assertion. It's easier to play the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by GoThunder View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	8045
    Its not a wholesale warehouse so it doesn't matter according to Chris. lol

Oklahoma City's retail offerings, even though improving, are still subpar compared to other cities this size and even smaller. Not necessarily talking about Tulsa but places like Memphis, Birmingham, Louisville, Jacksonville, Albuquerque, etc. That is a fact, not unnecessary negative spin. I think Costco entering the market is a big deal and will be another small step towards loosening Wal-Mart's death grip on retail here providing more diverse shopping options for OKC citizens.
    OKC is behind Albuquerque but Albuquerque has some major issues facing it for the next 20-40 years. There's three pillars to their economy and 2 are threatened at best.
    Sandia National Labs- they aren't going anywhere, but defense spending has peaked for a while and will remain stagnant. The other is the massive Intel fab.
    Intel's influence in the tech has been declined because of their disastrous decision to call tablets and mobile phones a fad and not focus to make chips for them. Intel has a lot of catching up to do.
    Last is the University of New Mexico which is going to do just fine. It has excellent engineering and medical schools.

They also have no Fortune 500 companies. There is no Devon or Chesapeake making waves and hiring 100s of people at a time. Just slow and steady.

Abq also gets a lot of the retailers because they have a very centralized high income area. (Engineers for Intel and the labs make very good money) The NE heights are close to the mountains. Everyone wants to live close to the mountains, so property values jump and therefore most of the wealth in the city lives there. Not spread out like OKC. From everything I've read that's a big key to retailers.

Sure they had whole foods in like 2005. Trader joes in 2008. Abq uptown is pretty nice. And sidewalks alongside every road. (that's not a joke) The long term viability of Abq isn't good.

Keep in mind that almost all of OKC's growth and emergence took place during the worst economic crisis of the last 50 years.

Just as OKC was starting to be looked at by major national retailers, the economy tanked and many of these chains started closing stores rather than expanding.

Walmart doubled-down as they already were in a good position, and that has brought us to where we are now.

But that is changing very rapidly and rather than harp on about the past, it's time to focus on the dozens of retailers who have recently announced plans for OKC, with plenty more on the way.

New images show glimpse of Chisholm Creek development | News OK

I want to say I like the renderings so far. I really think could end up being that modern, inviting shopping center than OKC has been missing for a long time.

What's the latest on The Rustic.
    Would love to see something like that in N.OKC!

Land is being cleared on the NW corner of E Memorial and N Everest (between CarMax and 7-Eleven). I work in the area and have heard that one of the new 7-Eleven locations here. There is a dingy 1980s 7-Eleven store just across the street here and there are two OnCue locations within two miles.

Yes that is going to be a new 7-11.
    They have owned it for a long time.
    There are actually 3 OnCues within a 2 mile radius.

Land is being cleared on a large acreage along the south side of Memorial Rd, east of Broadway Extension, directly across from the old 7-Eleven building (what would be between Everest Ave and Crossing Way.) Not any signs there but they've had tractors in there doing a lot of dirt work over the last several weeks.

^

I believe it will be for senior living.

^

Talk about explosion of retail... The number of senior living places in the vicinity has exploded, I think there are three new developments a bit south around Western and 122nd.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Talk about explosion of retail... The number of senior living places in the vicinity has exploded, I think there are three new developments a bit south around Western and 122nd.
    Huge amount of Baby Boomers no longer able to live independently.

And the American culture is to not take in our older relatives.

18. Default Re: Retail Explosion on Memorial Road

^

Backs up to a cemetery too. Life comes at you fast.

As for senior living, there has been huge void of these types on units in OKC. I expect a ton of 55+ neighborhoods, ect to pop up over the next 5 years or so. People are just living longer and need to have better living options.

Huge amount of Baby Boomers no longer able to live independently.

And the American culture is to not take in our older relatives.
    I just saw in the Yukon Progressive that Spanish Cove is building a multi-story complex with lots of units. I think they have more than half already pre-sold. I only wonder what will happen to all of these places built once the baby boomers pass through.

When I lived in SoCal, there were tons of senior living communities and more being built all the time.

OKC has a bunch of smaller facilities but as far as I know, none of the large almost city-like developments you see in other sunbelt states. Many of these pre-dated the aging of the baby boom generation.

The idea is that you move into these communities while you are still independent but they have all the skilled nursing and other facilities on-site so you can live out the remainder of your life on that campus.

This is a good location for senior living as it's a straight shot up Memorial to Oklahoma Christian U. One of the big draws for lots of seniors is ongoing education classes, like Lunch with A Professor or Town Hall Meetings. There's already a couple of senior livings nearby. Fleet of doctor offices on Bryant just north of Memorial.
    The big downsides? It's still a bit far to a tertiary care center. Probably 10-15 minutes by ambulance to Mercy main campus or Integris I-35. And most of the "sun-belt" retirement communities make use of the natural landscape i.e. water features in Cali or Florida, desert mountains in Rio Rancho or Az.
    The landscape at this site is basically a large cemetery. Maybe a bit too Tennessee Williams.

I'd love to see OKC embrace more of the multi generational living arrangements where young families live with seniors, in duplexes or tiny homes. Helps with the common problem of isolation and loneliness in our elderly population.

When I lived in SoCal, there were tons of senior living communities and more being built all the time.

OKC has a bunch of smaller facilities but as far as I know, none of the large almost city-like developments you see in other sunbelt states. Many of these pre-dated the aging of the baby boom generation.

The idea is that you move into these communities while you are still independent but they have all the skilled nursing and other facilities on-site so you can live out the remainder of your life on that campus.
    I suspect this is in part due to Oklahoma being a Certificate of Needs state.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    I'd love to see OKC embrace more of the multi generational living arrangements where young families live with seniors, in duplexes or tiny homes. Helps with the common problem of isolation and loneliness in our elderly population.
    Isolation and loneliness among elderly residents is going to be a huge problem for OKC due to the extent that the city has been built around the automobile.

25. Default Re: Retail Explosion on Memorial Road

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Isolation and loneliness among elderly residents is going to be a huge problem for OKC due to the extent that the city has been built around the automobile.
    And that the west US doesn't have that strong ethnic influence. In my family, one of my siblings would have taken my parents in but my parents absolutely refused. I think about my upcoming elderly years with one son who doesnt have an enormous gene of empathy and it scares me a little.

Thread Information