|acreage=
    |other=132 parking spaces
    |
    |image=
    |
    [/template]
    Information & Latest News

3/19/14: $5.6 building permit application
    10/11/13: New Catholic Charities headquarters proposed for Oklahoma City's Midtown | News OK
    Links

County Assessor Record 1
    County Assessor Record 2
    County Assessor Record 3

Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catholicnew5.jpg 
Views:	1106 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	9983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catholic10.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	9979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catholicnew4.jpg 
Views:	1100 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	9982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catholicnew3.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	9981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catholicnew2.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	9980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catholic.jpg 
Views:	2859 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	4592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catholic8.jpg 
Views:	2758 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	4593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catholicnew6.jpg 
Views:	1094 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	9984  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catholicnew7.jpg 
Views:	1092 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	9985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catholicnew8.jpg 
Views:	1122 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	9986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catholicnew9.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	9987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catholicnew11.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	9988  

Default Re: General Midtown Thread

Really hope that happens.

Default Re: Catholic Charities Headquarters

I didn't see an article on the new Catholic Charities headquarters proposed for midtown. I think this is way cool.

New Catholic Charities headquarters proposed for Oklahoma City's Midtown | News OK

I like that it is bumped up against Classen, but what is the deal with every architect putting in these darn plazas? Just move the building north all the way to 12th St and put the massing at the intersection. The focal point should be the building - not the absence of the building. Other than that it looks pretty good.

That won't stop bars from opening in Midtown will it? Would that be considered a church?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    That won't stop bars from opening in Midtown will it? Would that be considered a church?
    No, just an office building.

Renderings:

Default Re: Catholic Charities

I am excited about this project for a few reasons. The existing building has an inefficient layout for their purposes. I like the location and that they are committed to this part of town. I know that a few of their larger donors are in the far north side of town so it somewhat surprised me to see then move only 3 blocks away. I will be glad to see that empty lot used as well. I like the design but I am far from an expert in these matters. I do like how it fronts Classen. I am not too happy about the surface parking but I have had a hard time finding a parking space at their existing building so I know the need for parking is there.

Default Re: Catholic Charities

I think it looks good. This will be great for the area.

10. Default Re: Catholic Charities Headquarters

Wasn't this the proposed site of Greg Banta's ill-fated Office Depot project?

This is awesome!!! Classen could really use a major reconstruction though, preferably in cement. Spruce up the landscaping in the median as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Wasn't this the proposed site of Greg Banta's ill-fated Office Depot project?
    Yes.

Impressive for a non-profit facility. I love how the curvature abuts Classen. Huge upgrade for the Classen corridor, which by the way if we can revitalize Classen between C2S and NW 23rd, we successfully tie together the urban core.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Impressive for a non-profit facility. I love how the curvature abuts Classen. Huge upgrade for the Classen corridor, which by the way if we can revitalize Classen between C2S and NW 23rd, we successfully tie together the urban core.
    Well said, Spartan. It does indeed look nice. And they do incredible work, too.

The firm doing that is one of my former co-workers, he did good work when he was at Benham.

Score for OKC. Hope this carries through. Glad it has a zero lot line on the west side that faces Classen, and this will add some much needed infill on such a crucial lot. Now if we can get more infill of this quality or better, and not the cheap junk that city leaders have allowed along Classen.

17. Default Re: Catholic Charities Headquarters

totally agree, good for OKC and the inner city. I don't think the plaza is too bad, at least it has some architectural elements that are pleasing and could force other developments to higher standards.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

18. Default Re: Catholic Charities Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I like that it is bumped up against Classen, but what is the deal with every architect putting in these darn plazas? Just move the building north all the way to 12th St and put the massing at the intersection. The focal point should be the building - not the absence of the building. Other than that it looks pretty good.
    The building is as far north as it will go. If you look closer, you will see it abuts the north and west property lines. The "plaza" is actually in the ROW.

And furthermore, it just looks (and will feel) like a big sidewalk. A SIDwalk [Paging sidburgess, Paging sidburgess]

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    The building is as far north as it will go. If you look closer, you will see it abuts the north and west property lines. The "plaza" is actually in the ROW.
    You're right. I withdraw my comment.

Yesterday, they submitted an application for a $5.6 building permit.

It's labeled "preliminary review only", which usually means they are starting the process of getting feedback on the design before going much further.

But, this is a sign they are close to having the money together to start this project.

That's a big achievement for fund development in the non-profit sector even for an organization with nation-wide reach. This project will be a top-notch community center.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I actually love the plaza concept here, which utilizes a canopy awning continued across through a corner cut-out anchored by a beam, fashioned in the manner of a cross.

The continued awning creates a structure that snugly defines the streetwall edge over a gateway that expresses openness to the corner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    That's a big achievement for fund development in the non-profit sector even for an organization with nation-wide reach. This project will be a top-notch community center.
    Just speaking to the nation-wide reach thing... not sure how true that is in this case (but I don't know for sure)...

I don't know the funding source for this building, but otherwise, operationally, Catholic Charities of Oklahoma City doesn't get any national funding. It's essentially an independent local organization with a national affiliation (they pay dues to a national org in order to have the "Catholic Charities" in the name). Their operational budget (~$4M) is achieved through fundraising in the Archdiocese of OKC (half of which comes from the Green Tie Gala), and 90%+ of that goes directly back into the local community (basically one of the best places you can send your money in OKC to make sure it stays in OKC). Similar to the Catholic hospitals, they are not owned or operated by the Catholic Church, but are operated as a Catholic-supported organization with the blessing of the Archbishop of Oklahoma City.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Technically there's a chapel in the current building and they have regular masses there I think on Fridays at noon, but I doubt it would ever be considered a church per se.

Thread Information