Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rise

Default Re: The Rise

I've heard that they either have leases or letters of intent for ALL the space at The Rise.

Pretty amazing given they still have a long way to go on construction.

23rd street is coming into it's own... I sure wish somebody would give the strip center directly the west the same treatment.

That Queens Beauty Supply building to the west of this (531 NW 23rd Street) has an entry on 10/24/2013. The title of the document is Journal Entry of Judgment. Here is a direct link to the document if anyone cares to explain it and what it means for the area:

https://oklahoma.amcad.com/oklahoma/...31025011504510

The building just to the west of that across Dewey has been vacant for a long time as well and it is a monster at just over 18,000 square feet. It is owned by Outwest Investments LLC who bought it for $250,000 on 1/2007. The county assessor shows there was a thrift o rama in there in 2007 and from the pictures dated 2010 and current, there has been no movement on the development of that property.

This area desperately needs a good quality grocery store of some sort. I was hoping the Rise would house something like Native Roots. But, we really need something even bigger. I've recently lived in Mesta Park and now live in Jefferson Park. The thought of going to the Homieland on 18th and Classen that smells like fried chicken at 8:00 am makes my stomach turn. The last time I went to the Buy For Less on 23rd there were two stray dogs inside. I shop once a week at Sprouts. Which, isn't a bad trek but surely there should be something nicer and closer. One should be able to live in a nice part of town and not dread running out to the store to grab some eggs.

With the boom coming in Midtown, either Homeland will up their game (unlikely) or someone else will move in and kick butt.

I was really hoping Trader Joe's would opt for 23rd but I don't think that is happening.

Hmm. Yeah, Trader Joe's would be awesome and totally supported. Hope something comes soon

I used to work at a bank that did the financing for the Tower Theatre when it was first bought by Party Galaxy. When we went to loan committee about the renewal of this particular loan, a lot of the loan officers (guys from 40-60 who live in Edmond or NWOKC) were talking about not wanting to invest that much money because it is in a bad area. I believe several people called it "The Hood" and "Ghetto" if I remember correctly. I pointed out that one of the nicest areas in the state lies just a block south of there and the Paseo area is getting much nicer along with all the other development going on down there (BTT had just opened).

I have a friend who lived in Edmond and works 63rd and Broadway and she said she went to the Taco Bell on 23rd and Harvey and was afraid to go back because it was straight hood and was afraid of what people would do to her there.

I am not saying anything bad about either of the parties involved in the situations above. What I am saying is that there are a lot of misconceptions about this area coming back because people are ignorant to the development down here. I could see a TJ's moving into this area, but I don't think it will be until the streets are redone to make it more pedestrian friendly and the Tower Theatre, The Rise and other developments are up and running.

^

Yes, you aren't seeing any chains go into that area, which is probably a good thing for the time being.

The people making real estate decisions for chain stores are extremely conservative because their butts are on the line if they make a bad choice. There is only incentive not to take a chance on a developing area, especially for one of your first few locations in a new market.

This is why all the chain stores and restaurants tend to locate very near existing competition.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    That Queens Beauty Supply building to the west of this (531 NW 23rd Street) has an entry on 10/24/2013. The title of the document is Journal Entry of Judgment. Here is a direct link to the document if anyone cares to explain it and what it means for the area:

https://oklahoma.amcad.com/oklahoma/...31025011504510

The building just to the west of that across Dewey has been vacant for a long time as well and it is a monster at just over 18,000 square feet. It is owned by Outwest Investments LLC who bought it for $250,000 on 1/2007. The county assessor shows there was a thrift o rama in there in 2007 and from the pictures dated 2010 and current, there has been no movement on the development of that property.
    Looks like they want the alley vacated. Maybe they want to expand or do some redeveloping.

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

23rd and harvey as hood. smh and sigh and just feel bad for such folks.
    Then I wonder just how wet their shoes would be if they ever did wander into da hood somewhere by accident.
    I know I shouldn't snicker at such a thought, but dang if I don't.

Whole slew of building permits for this project today...

I believe up until now it's all been demo work but this probably means they are getting ready to start building out all the individual spaces.

So, is the construction of the Rise stalled? I know other members have mentioned this before. The sign says "Coming fall 2013" but that doesn't seem realistic.

I remember reading the Pump got tied up with paperwork issues regarding their airstream. Has anyone heard anything about this or BTT's pizza venture in the old Bora Bora?

There are always a few people working when I go by the Rise, but never many. It looks like they have the east side cleaned out, but there's still a lot of debris on the west end, it appears.

Pump Bar is still working on their approvals. The old Bora Bora space is having the ugly facade removed so they can decide what to do with the design.

The rest of the Rise is fully leased from what I've heard, and with today's building permits I bet you'll see them move pretty fast in the near future.

Thanks, Pete! Can't wait.

Also, from the permits, it looks like there could be as many as FIVE food places here, not including the pizza place or Pump Bar.

We already know about FlashBack and the A.G.E. seafood place, not sure about the others.

Ya know, due to its name, I'm surprised Buy For Less hasn't considered opening an Uptown Market in this area. With the turnaround that the area is seeing and Heritage Hills being really close, I think that concept and brand for them would do quite well in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    from the permits, it looks like there could be as many as FIVE food places here
    WOW. So excited to see what's coming.

18. Default Re: The Rise

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Ya know, due to its name, I'm surprised Buy For Less hasn't considered opening an Uptown Market in this area. With the turnaround that the area is seeing and Heritage Hills being really close, I think that concept and brand for them would do quite well in this area.
    I agree with this. B4L seems like perhaps the most likely of candidates for downtown/central city expansion, because they know the city, because they historically support downtown events, and because their inner-city BFL stores are successful. I would guess they might not view an expansion of the Uptown Market brand to be as risky as some of their out-of-state competitors might.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I agree with this. B4L seems like perhaps the most likely of candidates for downtown/central city expansion, because they know the city, because they historically support downtown events, and because their inner-city BFL stores are successful. I would guess they might not view an expansion of the Uptown Market brand to be as risky as some of their out-of-state competitors might.
    Not doubting you, but haven't noticed it either; what DT events has BFL historically supported?

20. Default Re: The Rise

Metro, the firsthand experience I have is with their support of some Downtown in December events. In speaking with their marketing people I know that they were very positive about downtown and wanted to become more of a part of the event scene down here. Hopefully that translates to a corporate interest in eventually locating downtown, but I never specifically discussed that with anyone.

Just learned that one of the tenants at The Rise will be a whiskey and cigar bar, similar to WSKY in Deep Deuce but not operated by the same group.

They will lease the space behind the Good Egg seafood restaurant (facing north) and will incorporate the rooftop deck you see in the the renderings.

So, in this development we will have:

• Good Egg seafood restaurant
    • FlashBack RetroPub
    • Whiskey/cigar bar
    • Pump Bar
    • Pizza concept by Big Truck / Back Door group
    • Upscale men's casual clothing store

As I mentioned earlier, they are now fully leased but not sure of the remaining tenants.

22. Default Re: The Rise

Pete, looks like you might have already dipped into the wishkey this morning.

23. Default Re: The Rise

Aw, man, you edited and totally ruined my joke...

lol!

If they don't have have a name for their bar yet, Wishkey would be GREAT!

25. Default Re: The Rise

Wishkey
    Take me drunk, I'm home.

Thread Information