Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rise

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

I agree Pete. I guess my point was, it will take more than The Rise, before 23rd hits critical mass.

Default Re: Prediction: 23rd street doesn't hit critical mass until

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I'm predicting 23rd doesn't hit critical mass until The Rise is finished, housing is in place, AND the old Rainbow Records building is rehabbed. Driving by yesterday I realized how bad a shape the current owners (vacuum store) are letting the place get. Broken windows, boarded up windows, paint flaking off, etc. Sad to see such a gem rotting away on one of the most prime intersections in the state.
    Critical mass is somewhat of a misnomer of this area because in a lot of ways it already is at critical mass with the multitude of housing in the area. It's just woefully undervalued and poorly kept. $50M of investment would probably create more value on 23rd than it would in any other area of town.

And the Rise is expected to be finished this Fall per their sign on the building, and they have plans for housing.

I also think that the Tower theater probably has more importance for the district reaching it's full potential than does any other building on the street.

Good point about the Tower, changed prediction: The Rise, Tower and Rainbow Records renovated before we see serious momentum start to snowball in the housing markets in Paseo, Military Park and otherwise.

Default Re: General Midtown Thread

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I am curious if the boarded up homes to the north of what will be The Rise will be either fixed or demolished when work starts.
    Those are all owned by the same group as The Rise (Land Run) and I'm told they have found a partner to develop that area into apartments.

I suspect they'll be razed soon.

I wonder if the Rise is still on track for fall of this year. The posters indicate it is, however it does not appear any work as been done. The hotels/motels/liquidation store is still up and running as of today and still jam-packed with junk.

HangryHippo Guest

According to this article, it is:
    UpTown momentum underway in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    I wonder if the Rise is still on track for fall of this year. The posters indicate it is, however it does not appear any work as been done. The hotels/motels/liquidation store is still up and running as of today and still jam-packed with junk.
    They've been hauling junk out with moving vans

8. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Soft goods to open in The Rise? Pretty vague, but that'd be just a perfect spot for Urban Outfitters! Please, please, please be an UO.

Nice article. If all goes right, this could end up becoming the urban-minded young professional district OKC has desperately needed for years. Urban Outfitters would be perfect for that area as would Trader Joe's (though I think I read that TJs was trying to be as close to Nichols Hills as possible). Hopefully the Pump Bar will get the ball rolling on the type of bar district filled with unique establishments young professionals currently drive to Tulsa to experience.

I hope a few NIMBYs don't stifle the momentum. This is a great opportunity for OKC.

10. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Ian here(pump bar), still waiting on approval of my new okctalk user name.

The houses on the north side of 24th are paseo zoned historic and can't be razed, nor can the multifamily unit north of my site on the NW corner of 24th & walker, which is for some reason zoned historic landmark(it looks like a crackhouse). I've suggested to the developer to keep them vacant until they're viable for commercial use. They are zoned under the SPUD to be so. The new structure on 23rd & dewey per the site plan is anyone's guess. My guess is zoning for future use. A trader joes or urban outfitters would be AMAZING but realistically in the scope the neighborhood is in now that's very unlikely. However, a market in that area is desperately needed.

Quote Originally Posted by IanMcDermid View Post
    Ian here(pump bar), still waiting on approval of my new okctalk user name.

The houses on the north side of 24th are paseo zoned historic and can't be razed, nor can the multifamily unit north of my site on the NW corner of 24th & walker, which is for some reason zoned historic landmark(it looks like a crackhouse). I've suggested to the developer to keep them vacant until they're viable for commercial use. They are zoned under the SPUD to be so. The new structure on 23rd & dewey per the site plan is anyone's guess. My guess is zoning for future use. A trader joes or urban outfitters would be AMAZING but realistically in the scope the neighborhood is in now that's very unlikely. However, a market in that area is desperately needed.
    Ian, even structures protected with historic landmark designations can be demolished, it just requires being processed through the appropriate design committee, in the case of this particular area, the Urban Design Commission.

I've heard the Land Run people intend to put new apartments on those tracts along with the adjacent vacant land. Given the state of the general area and of those homes in particular, they shouldn't have any problem getting approval for demolition.

Looks like hotel motel has officially moved. Signs are up saying that the 23rd st location is closed.

All the windows at the hotel liquidators site are covered in Kraft paper and they're tearing up the parking lot behind it. So, it looks like renovation has finally begun. I can't wait to see the faux mansard roof line go.

I'm really happy that they are getting started with work on The Rise. However, I was pretty disappointed to see that the majority of the area just north (new parking if i recall the plans correctly) was torn up and in a disturbed condition while all the silt fence (erosion control) was installed uphill of the disturbance. The stakes were driven and the fabric was stretched, but I could see nowhere that it was anchored in a trench to retain soil. Not that it will matter, as all runoff will end up flowing onto Walker Ave and almost directly into Deep Fork Creek and never see the silt fence. Ignorance or arrogance? I don't know, but this stuff isn't rocket science.

15. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    I'm really happy that they are getting started with work on The Rise. However, I was pretty disappointed to see that the majority of the area just north (new parking if i recall the plans correctly) was torn up and in a disturbed condition while all the silt fence (erosion control) was installed uphill of the disturbance. The stakes were driven and the fabric was stretched, but I could see nowhere that it was anchored in a trench to retain soil. Not that it will matter, as all runoff will end up flowing onto Walker Ave and almost directly into Deep Fork Creek and never see the silt fence. Ignorance or arrogance? I don't know, but this stuff isn't rocket science.
    It happens at most construction sites across the city honestly... aggravates me too.

Pretty much all projects involving sitework are required to have a SWPP submitted and approved, now whether they are acted upon and and enforced is a completely different manner. I know that inspectors in Austin and San Antonio were sticklers for it, some were and weren't in the Houston area.

An article by Molly Fleming talking about The Rise is in this tweet.

https://twitter.com/Cassi_Sue/status...802560/photo/1

That article says The Rise is still on target for a fall opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'll be impressed...but...December 20th is still technically the fall, so they have some leeway.

It seemed like even a week ago there was still stuff in that building.

HangryHippo Guest

The article also says that the front facade will stay the same. That surely wasn't in the plans that I saw released for this project...

The article also says that the front facade will stay the same. That surely wasn't in the plans that I saw released for this project...
    The proposed front facade, not the current one. They're making modifications to their proposal on the north side of the building.

HangryHippo Guest

Have you seen the modification changes for the north side?

If they're going to make the changes to the south side that were shown in the renderings by fall of this year, they've got a fair bit of work to do.

As a reminder, there is a separate thread for Pump Bar here:

Pump Bar - OKCTalk
    Why not a separate thread for The Rise which is a helluva lot larger development than Pump Bar?

Because The Rise was already part of a larger thread and Pump Bar was started from scratch; I just recently started doing that.

It takes tons of time to split these things out.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned this. Or I missed it. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...072034&sk=info

FlashBack Retro Pub -- Coming to Uptown 23rd.

Thread Information