Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rise

1. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    A Grandads update by Steve.

Grandad's brings 'old school' back to Uptown NW 23rd Street in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com

And a video about "The Rise" in the same area. I would like it better if the sidewalk tables fronted 23rd or Walker but it is still a good concept.

OKC Central: Development along NW 23 includes The Rise | NewsOK Videos
    1. All of the other signage on the project says "retail", but on the north facade there was a sign for a Summit Co.
    2. The sidewalk dining areas in the rear will probably not be pleasant places to be. They are north facing, so their use in cooler weather will be limited. Also, without some sort of buffer between the cars and the sidewalk, it will be like eating in the parking lot.
    3. All those blank white areas are most likely EIFS. This feels like a cheap, suburban strip mall plunked down on the corner of Walker & 23rd. (It could just be the rendering)
    4. Will there be a sea of parking to the north? How will the interface between this project and the neighborhood to the north be handled?

Overall this is a definite win for the area any way you slice it, I just wish the developer would spend just a bit more to put it on the next level.

EDIT: The Rise? I understand the reasoning behind the name, but this project is at the bottom of a hill...

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Love the project...great addition to the area, 23rd St is on a roll...............

Glad to read about The Rise. Reminds me of the prominent uptown shopping in the '60s and '70s. Parked in the back, behind the stores. We have always appreciated that Lillian Strickler kept that NW 23rd location.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    2. The sidewalk dining areas in the rear will probably not be pleasant places to be. They are north facing, so their use in cooler weather will be limited. Also, without some sort of buffer between the cars and the sidewalk, it will be like eating in the parking lot.
    3. All those blank white areas are most likely EIFS. This feels like a cheap, suburban strip mall plunked down on the corner of Walker & 23rd. (It could just be the rendering)
    4. Will there be a sea of parking to the north? How will the interface between this project and the neighborhood to the north be handled?

Overall this is a definite win for the area any way you slice it, I just wish the developer would spend just a bit more to put it on the next level.
    All of this crossed my mind as well.

The sidewalk dining areas in the rear will probably not be pleasant places to be. They are north facing, so their use in cooler weather will be limited. Also, without some sort of buffer between the cars and the sidewalk, it will be like eating in the parking lot.
    I actually think that in Oklahoma putting dining on the north side is a good idea. Most people like to eat outdoors in the summertime, and the northern exposure makes it far more tolerable. We've got balconies on the north and south sides of our house and we find ourselves on the north balcony far more often than the southern ones, regardless of the time of year. It's just kind of happened that way. However, I agree that there will have to be some sort of screening of parking or the view will ruin any relief from the heat.

All those blank white areas are most likely EIFS. This feels like a cheap, suburban strip mall plunked down on the corner of Walker & 23rd. (It could just be the rendering)...
    That was my thought as well. If it's not going to be a huge improvement in terms of materials, as least I hope they use something that looks vintage rather than just cheap. While anything would be an improvement over what is there now, I'd like to see them do something to actually significantly improve the area. If they're hoping to attract retail of a calibre above strip shopping malls, materials are important as well.

I couldn't agree more.

1. All of the other signage on the project says "retail", but on the north facade there was a sign for a Summit Co.

EDIT: The Rise? I understand the reasoning behind the name, but this project is at the bottom of a hill...
    It's entirely too early to criticize the material choice... you said it, it might just be the rendering. Also, this only shows the commercial portion of their much larger project, so there will be things to the north to focus on. I think the parking and landscaping will be designed to limit vehicle visibility in the end.

Here's the rendering for the old Hotel Liquidator's site, to be renamed The Rise:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Here's the rendering for the old Hotel Liquidator's site, to be renamed The Rise:

That looks better than the video, imo.

Strangely the thing that seems off to me is that they want it to be an "upscale" concept. Maybe they just mean design, but I am hoping to see 23rd to continue to evolve into Oklahoma City's place for more trendy retailers. I think we could use something a little more edgy (think melrose, haight, or east village) and 23rd has that potential, imo. And we all know that it's a long shot for it to be a truly upscale district with high end boutiques, but I think something filled with, as Betts said, an eclectic mix of local retailers that each offer something new and different for the city would be much more successful. It would certainly make it more of a destination corridor. Not every development has to play to the masses and I actually think 23rd's long term success is dependent on it finding a niche and consciously cultivating it by selecting unique tenants. As a city, our retail mix has conservative preppy, mass market catalog/mall looks, and wal-mart chic covered. What we don't have is fashion forward trendy or edgy unique retailers, and that would probably be the sweet spot for 23rd, imo.

Honestly, I don't know why it needs a name at all.

10. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

It won't be EIFS or stucco according to Russell - McDermid indicated it's a glass panel kind of facade typically used during the era NW 23 was originally built.

11. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Then I'm a happy dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    It won't be EIFS or stucco according to Russell - McDermid indicated it's a glass panel kind of facade typically used during the era NW 23 was originally built.
    That sounds great!

Summit Co. is a Stillwater based outdoor gear retailer, I was pretty excited to see their logo on that animation.

14. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Me too. I loved going there when I lived in STW.

Keep in mind this strip along 23rd is only a small part of their holdings.

They also own a big chunk of property due north and I'd love to know their plans for that.

It looks like from the rendering that the parking will be what is currently the alley-way they are wanting to "close" and if I had to guess there will be parking on either side of it, but definitely parking spaces just north of the building and maybe north of a two way street right in front of those spaces. Although, they have what seems to be the current "Paseo Underground" building that is just north of the alley on Walker...If anything is built at that latitude, then I think parking on both sides of the alley would be impossible...*maybe* if you had a one way street in either direction.

Outdoor seating in back (especially the second floor deck) is going to be a little weird next to the power lines that run down the alley.

Keep in mind this strip along 23rd is only a small part of their holdings.

They also own a big chunk of property due north and I'd love to know their plans for that.
    i'm sure quite a bit of it will be parking

Maybe some for parking but look at everything they own (yellow is this development but they also own the pink):

That pink land is interesting. Is that still zoned residential?

You definitely notice a "dead zone" of empty lots and flop houses between 23rd and the Paseo area. I know the Positively Paseo association has been very active in getting some residential infill in their neighborhood, I see no reason why they couldn't try and move a few blocks south.

North of 24th is residential. South I believe is all commercial.

Here is a rendering of the back of The Rise.

Also, you can see in that animation that directly behind the one row of parking it is just a landscaped area, not more parking.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisJ View Post
    Summit Co. is a Stillwater based outdoor gear retailer, I was pretty excited to see their logo on that animation.
    They have a location in downtown Edmond also. It's been there for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    They have a location in downtown Edmond also. It's been there for a few years.
    It is downtown on Broadway.

This looks a lot different than the renderings I initially saw for the project. The images I saw were of red brick storefronts on NW 23rd Street with peaked rooftops. I wonder if it was an earlier concept that got shot down.

Thread Information