Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Wine and More

Default Total Wine and More

I've been seeing a lot of reports across different social media platforms about Total Wine and More coming into Moore in the old Bed Bath and Beyond in SE quadrant of I35 and 19th St. If true, this will be a game changer. Total Wine and More is an awesome store that I visit sometimes in the Dallas area, though I first discovered it in Santa Fe NM.

2. Default Re: Total Wine and More

Total Wine and Moore

Default Re: Total Wine and More

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I've been seeing a lot of reports across different social media platforms about Total Wine and More coming into Moore in the old Bed Bath and Beyond in SE quadrant of I35 and 19th St. If true, this will be a game changer. Total Wine and More is an awesome store that I visit sometimes in the Dallas area, though I first discovered it in Santa Fe NM.
    Isn't the issue with stores like this that they can't sell alcohol (other than wine and beer) given their format? Same with BevMo.

And I used to go to one in California and liquor was a huge part of their business.

I have no clue what those laws are, however I do know that there are laws of single ownership meaning a single person cannot own more than one store or something along those lines. I can't find anything on the internet, but have been seeing reports here and there in social media for some time now. Today I've seen people posting that they are contractors that put in a bid for the retrofitting the old building space so I decided to post something on here about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Isn't the issue with stores like this that they can't sell alcohol (other than wine and beer) given their format? Same with BevMo.

And I used to go to one in California and liquor was a huge part of their business.
    i believe they can, but would be limited to a total of 2 locations in the state, if they go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I have no clue what those laws are, however I do know that there are laws of single ownership meaning a single person cannot own more than one store or something along those lines. I can't find anything on the internet, but have been seeing reports here and there in social media for some time now. Today I've seen people posting that they are contractors that put in a bid for the retrofitting the old building space so I decided to post something on here about it.
    it's two stores. a single person or entity can only have a max of two locations. i also do believe that they would have to create a business entity within the state of oklahoma in order to get the license, because license holders can only be citizens of the state or llc's registered within the state.

^^ very good, thank you!

We recently discovered Total Wine in Wichita. I really hope they are coming here and I wish it was in North OKC, rather than Moore.

The one in Wichita is so new that it still smelled like fresh sawn lumber.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    it's two stores. a single person or entity can only have a max of two locations. i also do believe that they would have to create a business entity within the state of oklahoma in order to get the license, because license holders can only be citizens of the state or llc's registered within the state.
    So no matter what, we are limited to 2 Total Wine and More stores in the entire state? That wouldn't really be efficient for them, so I doubt they will come here, if that is the case.

Or can they have different franchisees (or some comparable form of ownership)?

I just don't see Oklahoma as an economically viable market if they only have 2 stores (I assume in OKC, 1 in Tulsa).

If this "2 locations is okay" rule applies, why don't Trade Joe's or Whole Foods have liquor?

Extremely high profit margins.

If this "2 locations is okay" rule applies, why don't Trade Joe's or Whole Foods have liquor?

I thought that the owners of liquor store licenses had to be OK residents and had to have lived here for a certain period of time. Could be wrong, thought that's the way it originally was after the laws got changed, may be different by now.

Nm

With the caveat that I have not researched this myself, my understanding is that they will get the store set up done and then sue to change the law. They did this in another state and was successful. May be an issue that they don't have legal standing until they apply for the license and get turned down. Can't apply for a license without a location.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/26/73252...ailers-big-win

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    With the caveat that I have not researched this myself, my understanding is that they will get the store set up done and then sue to change the law. They did this in another state and was successful. May be an issue that they don't have legal standing until they apply for the license and get turned down. Can't apply for a license without a location.

thank you for posting the link that is very very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post

Just based off reading the article, I'd assume they have some ground to stand on. The USSC ruled that the State laws unfairly favored residence and thus improper commerce. Will be very interesting if they try that here, you'd have to think it would spur on another wave of law changes.

my assumption would be the negative impacts of having to run those stores under a separate Oklahoma created LLC, rather than just under the parent company.

I was told that Total Wine is owned by Attorneys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Of the two brothers that own Total Wine, one has his MBA from Wharton and the other has his undergrad degree from Wharton and his law degree from U Penn. To say they are highly educated and have a rolodex of very educated colleagues would be an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    It’s owned by a big congressman based out of Potomac, Maryland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Trone

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    It’s owned by a big congressman based out of Potomac, Maryland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Trone
    Both posts appear to be right.

https://www.totalwine.com/about-us/o...0the%20country.

Job posting for Total Wine in Moore

https://www.salary.com/job/total-win...30459254222706
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 11.22.52 AM.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	18735  

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    There is (or was) a minimum time you had to be resident in the state as well.

Because the liquor license restricts them to selling no more than 20 or 25% non-alcohol items, at least that was the initial limit agreed to. Some of these rules that were incorporated back when refrigeration was brought in have changed some. Like there used to ABV caps on wine and beer in grocery stores but I believe that's been raised or done away with altogether.

Keep in mind that the limitation to two (liquor) licensed stores, the cap on non-alcohol items sold in a store where spirits are sold, minimum residency time, etc. are all things the Retail Liquor Association of Oklahoma (RLAO) fought for. Their intent was to mitigate "damage" done by allowing grocery and convenience stores to sell strong beer and wine. They didn't/don't want those entities selling spirits. They also do not want the likes of Total Wine or Specs coming in and dominating the market putting more of the little mom and pop stores out of business.

Thread Information