Widgets Magazine
Page 34 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Is there an artist rendering or a photograph of a COSTCO that is considered "attractive?" I agree witb the majority on here that thay are big, dull warehouse -looking stores. All of them here in CO are.
    The Costco near me here in St. Louis is certainly not attractive. It’s not a metal building, though. It’s a beige stucco box, indistinguishable from all the big box stores that surround it in a very boring looking development. There are, at least, trees. And it’s on a hill. But no, not attractive.

I know it’s the suburbs, and I guess we’re not supposed to deserve better out of it because it’s bland, boring Memorial Road, but I had kind of hoped that Chisholm Creek would spur that end of the turnpike to a slightly higher aesthetic standard. I feel this is a problem with the OKC suburbs. You have flashes of nice things but they are surrounded by blah.

3. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I know it’s the suburbs, and I guess we’re not supposed to deserve better out of it because it’s bland, boring Memorial Road, but I had kind of hoped that Chisholm Creek would spur that end of the turnpike to a slightly higher aesthetic standard. I feel this is a problem with the OKC suburbs. You have flashes of nice things but they are surrounded by blah.
    St. Louis has the luxury of large, natural trees. While there may have been some cottonwoods or scrub oaks/cedars on the OKC site, that part of OKC is natural open plains. Trees have to be planted

Mugofbeer- I certainly understand that. And although I do think trees can flourish in Oklahoma and developments should take much more care in helping that along, that’s not really what I was talking about. (Incidentally, I think many parts of the STL suburbs, even with trees, are hideously ugly.) What I was talking about was the phenomenon of a nice, well thought out development like Chisholm Creek, surrounded on one side, soon to be, with a car vending machine and on the other side by a metal warehouse. When you drive north from Quail Springs Mall, you see a nice housing neighborhood with non-cookie-cutter houses, maybe a golf course, surrounded by neighborhoods of relatively cheap tract houses. It’s just kind of disjointed.

In a climate like this, the city really needs stricter zoning standards to promote better aesthetics. You see a lot of this in Dallas (or at least parts of Dallas), which is one reason development down there is so much more visually appealing than in OKC.

6. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    In a climate like this, the city really needs stricter zoning standards to promote better aesthetics. You see a lot of this in Dallas (or at least parts of Dallas), which is one reason development down there is so much more visually appealing than in OKC.
    Expand on this, what do you mean "in a climate like this"? And please give me some examples of where Dallas is doing it right, or better? (I am being genuine here.)

7. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    And yet, the Dallas Costco - in CENTRAL Dallas no less - is pretty much an identical structure to the one we are getting on Memorial Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    And yet, the Dallas Costco - in CENTRAL Dallas no less - is pretty much an identical structure to the one we are getting on Memorial Road.
    DINGDINGDING. We have a winner!

Geesh you guys are taking my comment way out of proportion and I wasn't one of the posters really complaining about it being ugly to begin with. It's a Costco and they all look relatively the same unless zoning requires otherwise. Since some people seem to get hung up on technicalities, maybe I should have said some development in Dallas is more visually appealing because there are areas down there where that is unmistakably the case. I'm talking more in a general sense though and not specifically about Costco.

Let's please refrain for mass characterizations of "this board", "this site", "people here".

It's always used as some sort of sweeping pejorative and it needs to stop.

Not picking on bchris because I already straight deleted several posts in this vein.

Blog Entries

The Costco near me here in St. Louis is certainly not attractive. It’s not a metal building, though. It’s a beige stucco box, indistinguishable from all the big box stores that surround it in a very boring looking development. There are, at least, trees. And it’s on a hill. But no, not attractive.
    At least Tulsa's is at the bottom of a hill, way below street level.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Let's please refrain for mass characterizations of "this board", "this site", "people here".

It's always used as some sort of sweeping pejorative and it needs to stop.

Not picking on bchris because I already straight deleted several posts in this vein.
    I understand, respect, and agree with where you are coming from on this Pete, but I would like to add something, if I may. Honestly, I'm not even adding, I'm repeating something you've said in the past.

Hand in hand with refraining from the mass characterizations of "this board", "this site", or "people here", could you make another post officially addressing some of the negative posts? In the past you've noted that some business owners are participating members here and may get discouraged at some of the comments. In the OKC Boulevard thread there was just another post within the past few hours about how it's just another expanse of concrete. This is hardly an original thought, I would venture to say there's not a single page in that 31-page thread without at least one such or similar post. In this thread, one of the deleted messages pointed out the irony of YEARS of yearning for a Costco, only to complain once we finally get one, and the complaint completely, objectively untrue. In the SAME thread, we have (had) people complaining that our Costco is somehow deficient when compared to others, and yet in virtually the same breath decry the "cookie-cutter development".

I could go on, but my point is The Lost Ogle has a certain reputation. For good or bad, they've earned this reputation, and they're proud of it. If you take an objective view (difficult, I know, but try reading some of these posts as if through new eyes) then OKCTalk is also developing a certain reputation. The questions are have we earned it, and are we proud of it?

So again, I agree with the corrective action taken here. I respectfully suggest there's more to be done. Let's also refrain from the constant negative attitude about every possible thing we can find, and if we can't find one, just make one up. This is not to say people can't disagree, people can't wish the city would make a different choice in some matters from time to time, of course not. But the constant whining about often nothing is really wearing, and I believe if you look at the forum overall with fresh eyes, off-putting as well.

Any word on this? Doesn't look like they have purchased the land yet. I don't doubt that it is still a go, just would like to see some movement here. Anybody know anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    Any word on this? Doesn't look like they have purchased the land yet. I don't doubt that it is still a go, just would like to see some movement here. Anybody know anything?
    They had a couple of minor variances that needed to be approved.

I suspect the closing of the purchase was contingent on getting that finalized and I believe they now have everything they need.

They have already filed their building permits so they are working through that process which usually takes a few months.

Something I didn't know about Costco. I didn't realize you could buy things off the Costco site without having a membership. I went camping over the weekend and was impressed with a friends Tent and wanted one. They had the tent on Amazon for 140.00 but it was conventional set up model and Costco has the Quick pitch version of the same Tent for 99.99. So did some research and found I could buy it on the Costco site for a 5% upcharge not having a membership. So it still came out cheaper than Amazon after paying 4.99 upcharge and 4.99 shipping. I had no idea it was an option to pay 5% upcharge and shop the Costco site.

You can do the same in the store, with the same upcharge. Since moving back here I let my membership lapse, but still make the occasional online purchase there.

Nothing has been going on at the proposed location. Don't know whether Costco's plan is still on schedule or it just withdraws and walk away???

Quote Originally Posted by Mitco4u View Post
    Nothing has been going on at the proposed location. Don't know whether Costco's plan is still on schedule or it just withdraws and walk away???
    They are still waiting for their building permit to be approved.

The site is complicated due to a creek running through it. A good corollary would be the Winco site on Penn near Memorial. I reported that was under contract more than 2 years ago and it took forever to complete the engineering and sale, and even now the construction has been moving very slowly. All due to similar drainage issues.

By looking at the status updates on the Costco building permit application, I can see progress is being made, with Costco consistently responding to new questions and issues that pop up throughout the process. Very different than when an application is filed and the company is not responding to city inquiries; that's always a clear sign something has gone sideways on the developer's end. The opposite is happening with Costco.

Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Could someone post some pics of the current state of the Costco? I know there was one pic from 09/03, but I am hoping / wishing to see several current pics. Also, I can't find any information anywhere, about a projected opening date. If anyone has any information, please post it.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Could someone post some pics of the current state of the Costco? I know there was one pic from 09/03, but I am hoping / wishing to see several current pics. Also, I can't find any information anywhere, about a projected opening date. If anyone has any information, please post it.
    No photos because it's still an undisturbed empty field.

No work will start until their building permit is issued, which should be soon.

They are projected to open next year. I bet it will be late summer or early fall.

21. Default Re: Costco

I just set up a prescription for my dog at COSTCO Pharmacy. $48/mo at the vet, $16.50 at COSTCO for a thyroid drug my lab will have to take for life.

Thank you, Pete. There was some sort of picture of a partially completed Costco, attached to this thread. I couldn't tell what it was. I very much appreciate your update. I look forward to the opening. Costco will be a big upgrade to our shopping options.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Thank you, Pete. There was some sort of picture of a partially completed Costco, attached to this thread. I couldn't tell what it was. I very much appreciate your update. I look forward to the opening. Costco will be a big upgrade to our shopping options.
    You're welcome.

I monitor permits so as soon as it's issued and/or their is any movement at their site, we'll be all over it. And then continue to take photos and track their progress throughout.

Costco plans second Dallas location (within city limits) but doesn't ask for any incentives ($3 million for first one) - interesting how companies play the game...

https://candysdirt.com/2018/09/27/ne...at-greenville/

25. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    Costco plans second Dallas location (within city limits) but doesn't ask for any incentives ($3 million for first one) - interesting how companies play the game...

https://candysdirt.com/2018/09/27/ne...at-greenville/
    That's so close to the other COSTCO, I wonder if they are going to close it in favor of the new site? I am not familiar enough with the current store to know if it is smaller than normal or has less parking than COSTCO might like - moving in favor of a better location like SAMS did to vacate the site.

Thread Information