Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 70 12345651 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Large Chain Costco

Heard from a very reliable source that Costco is in the process of buying land at Memorial & Western.

This would be on the south side of the Kilpatrick Turnpike. Not sure if it will be on the east or west side of Western, but the west side seems most likely.

Interesting location as there is a Sams Club just a mile west at Pennsylvania. Obviously, they plan to go toe-to-toe with them.

We've had many discussions about Costco in the past but they are an absolute institution here in California and have a much more loyal following than Sams Club.

This is a long (42 minute) but excellent and interesting feature on Costco by CNBC:

Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

That should be a good location.

YAY! I absolutely detest driving up there but will make an exception for Costco.

Awesome. The sooner they can break ground the better. I can't wait for an alternative to Sam's Club. Then I will be able to be completely Wal-Mart free. Being that its off by itself at Western and Memorial, my guess is it will become an anchor for even more new retail surrounding it.

While I'm glad if we get it, I doubt I ever go up there. Maybe this will bring one to the southside or even off I40. I'd go if one were to open closer.

What is the cost for a Costco membership versus Sam's Club?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    What is the cost for a Costco membership versus Sam's Club?
    Very similar, although I think Sam's might be slightly cheaper.

Costco has an executive membership where you pay an extra $50 but get money back based on how much you spend. At the end of the year they issue you a store credit for the difference and in some years I've made back my entire membership fee plus over $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Costco has an executive membership where you pay an extra $50 but get money back based on how much you spend. At the end of the year they issue you a store credit for the difference and in some years I've made back my entire membership fee plus over $100.
    Nice. Sounds kind of like how REI's membership is.

There are currently five Sams Clubs in the OKC Metro with a sixth under construction in Edmond.

Hopefully, Costco will be just as aggressive in the market.
    There are two in Austin and both have a Sam's within a mile and there are quite a few other Sam's locations in Austin. A few of the newer Costco stores here Denver have a Sam's relatively close.

We have the Costco Executive and a regular Sam's membership (I think $45.00). When it comes to buy TV's or tires we usually get them at Costco because of the rebate.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    The COSTCO in my part of Denver sells only 3.2 alcohol so I don't think that's much of an issue for these folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    You'll see some type of stand alone liquor outlet like they do in other state's with weird alcohol laws
    The ones I have been to in the Denver area (Parker is the closest, Lone Tree, Aurora, Westminster) don't have the leased out adjacent liquor store like the ones in Austin had. As mug stated, they only have 3.2 beer. The ironic thing is the Sam's at Southlands has a similar liquor store arrangement to the Costco stores in Austin but none of the Sam's in Austin have that type of liquor store. I only went into the adjacent liquor store at Costco (they have nothing to do with the liquor store other than leasing out the space to a local operator) once, why bother going there when a Spec's was next to the Sam's at Mopac & Ben White. Both the Sam's in South Austin had a Spec's next door.

"You'll see some type of stand alone liquor outlet like they do in other state's with weird alcohol laws"

Maybe but would more than likely be an independent operator. Liquor stores in Oklahoma have to buy from the local liquor distributor (ie....Central Liquor, etc). Costco would have to convince them to buy their brands wholesale and then buy it back from them thus putting the middleman in there and increasing the cost. If I recall correctly, you can only own one liquor store so would not be able to do it at any other stores they opened in Oklahoma which I think would make it cost prohibitive and a royal pain in the you know what to jump through all the hoops for one location.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    "You'll see some type of stand alone liquor outlet like they do in other state's with weird alcohol laws"

Maybe but would more than likely be an independent operator. Liquor stores in Oklahoma have to buy from the local liquor distributor (ie....Central Liquor, etc). Costco would have to convince them to buy their brands wholesale and then buy it back from them thus putting the middleman in there and increasing the cost. If I recall correctly, you can only own one liquor store so would not be able to do it at any other stores they opened in Oklahoma which I think would make it cost prohibitive and a royal pain in the you know what to jump through all the hoops for one location.
    The last time that I looked into it you had to be a 10-year resident of Oklahoma at the time of your application to get a license, so it would have to be someone in state. I couldn't get a license until I moved back and lived there for 10 years even though I was born in and lived 37 of my 49 years in Oklahoma. Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and King Soupers only have one location with anything other then 3.2 beer since they have no in state requirement but do have the one license limitation. In Texas you can have up to five and can pool family members licenses into a large group, that is how Spec's and Twin Liquors operates. The Costco liquor stores in the Austin area are independent operators, they even operate under different names (printed on the receipt) and only lease space from Costco, since Costco has beer and wine in the main store the attached stores don't carry a large selection of those.

Could someone post some pics of the current state of the Costco? I know there was one pic from 09/03, but I am hoping / wishing to see several current pics. Also, I can't find any information anywhere, about a projected opening date. If anyone has any information, please post it.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Could someone post some pics of the current state of the Costco? I know there was one pic from 09/03, but I am hoping / wishing to see several current pics. Also, I can't find any information anywhere, about a projected opening date. If anyone has any information, please post it.
    No photos because it's still an undisturbed empty field.

No work will start until their building permit is issued, which should be soon.

They are projected to open next year. I bet it will be late summer or early fall.

This is the second year Sam's Club gives you a rebate that will cover cost of Business Plus Card. Also a little secret for those with a Military ID. including retirees. Do not renew at register go to Customer Service and show ID. You will get a discount. BTW Sam's and Costco are a bit different but in many aspects the same.

There are currently five Sams Clubs in the OKC Metro with a sixth under construction in Edmond.

Hopefully, Costco will be just as aggressive in the market.

I finally went to Costco this weekend and I liked it. Like I said in another thread Sam's may have a better selection on some things but overall I was pretty happy with my experiencs.

I used to think Sam's and Costco were very similar but they are different in many important ways. And it takes a while to fully comprehend.

First of all, they treat their employees very well and it shows. Always a happy, friendly staff with amazing customer service.

Also, Costco private brands many things under their Kirkland label. For example, I breed and raise champion Labradors and I feed them the Kirkland dry food, which is essentially Eukanuba repackaged. Costco charges about $18 for 40 lbs. vs. $50 for Eukanuba.

In fact, just about anything they put the Kirkland label on is very high quality and usually an amazing value. Another odd example is I just had a massive party where I served primarily Kirkland tequila and Kirkland margarita mix. Everyone raved about the drinks.

Sam's has a much better and comprehensive website but otherwise Costco is miles better in just about every other way. Think Target vs. Walmart.

I used to think Sam's and Costco were very similar but they are different in many important ways. And it takes a while to fully comprehend.

First of all, they treat their employees very well and it shows. Always a happy, friendly staff with amazing customer service.

Also, Costco private brands many things under their Kirkland label. For example, I breed and raise champion Labradors and I feed them the Kirkland dry food, which is essentially Eukanuba repackaged. Costco charges about $18 for 40 lbs. vs. $50 for Eukanuba.

In fact, just about anything they put the Kirkland label on is very high quality and usually an amazing value. Another odd example is I just had a massive party where I served primarily Kirkland tequila and Kirkland margarita mix. Everyone raved about the drinks.

Sam's has a much better and comprehensive website but otherwise Costco is miles better in just about every other way. Think Target vs. Walmart.
    I love them for paying their employees decent wages and benefits. They don't try to squeeze profits out of their lowest-level employees. I'll be quitting Sam's lickety-split when Costco gets here.

Good to know that about the dog food. I got several items that were the Kirkland brand and have been happy with all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    Good to know that about the dog food. I got several items that were the Kirkland brand and have been happy with all of them.
    Almost all the breeders I know on the West Coast feed Kirkland to their dogs.

Costco has a rigorous process for selecting the items for their stores and are even more rigorous about the items they private label.

If you watch the documentary that I posted early in this thread, you'll see that they are very painstaking even about their *toilet paper*, which by the way is excellent and a great value.

If they expand to south OKC / Moore / Norman, they'd become somewhat attractive. But it's still very rare for me to even go to 23rd anymore, so going to memorial is just not going to be part of a typical week for our house.

I am absolutely sure they will have multiple locations in OKC.

It only makes sense for the size of the market and their need for economies of scale when it comes to their distribution model.

I would say at least three in the near future.

I am absolutely sure they will have multiple locations in OKC.

It only makes sense for the size of the market and their need for economies of scale when it comes to their distribution model.

I would say at least three in the near future.
    I doubt three. If you look at similar metro areas the size of OKC, they have 1 maybe two locations. New Orleans has zero. Louisville has one. Jacksonville has one. Memphis has two. Milwaukee has two.

Even metros larger than OKC don't have many. Columbus has a metro population of 1.8 million and only one costco. Indianapolis has only two.

24. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I doubt three. If you look at similar metro areas the size of OKC, they have 1 maybe two locations. New Orleans has zero. Louisville has one. Jacksonville has one. Memphis has two. Milwaukee has two.

Even metros larger than OKC don't have many. Columbus has a metro population of 1.8 million and only one costco. Indianapolis has only two.
    I think it just comes down to the market. You mention Columbus having one, but Cincinnati metro has 2. The Cleveland area has 3. Toledo is getting a 2nd one and they half the size of OKC. The Detroit area has 10. Grand Rapids has 2. All these cities also have comparable or higher numbers of Sam's Club locations.

So you really can't just go by Population = This Many Locations and stick with it. Many local dynamics also has to come into play. I think they'll have a tough fight here against Walmart, but perhaps they might also find that a lot of people are wanting to abandon Wally World as fast as possible. If we look at Detroit, those locations are all in the suburbs where the wealth and population is. So it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility to see an Edmond, NW OKC, Norman, Yukon, SW OKC, and Midwest City store.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post

Albuquerque which is much smaller than okc has 3 costco locations.....

Thread Information