Widgets Magazine
Page 40 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1798

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco

Drove by today, roof is on and walls are going up.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Here's what I'd like to see as a Costco buildout in metro OKC:

1) Costco at North OKC - pulls from N OKC and S Edmond, Guthrie, NE OK County
    2) new Costco at Crossroads Mall area - pull from S OKC, Moore/Norman, Purcell, Shawnee, MWC/DC
    3) new Costco near OKC Outlets - pull from W OKC, Mustang, Yukon/El Reno
    4) new Costco in NW OKC - pull from NW OKC, Piedmont, Kingfisher
    5) new Costco in the core - pull from OKC. I'd love to see an URBAN Costco downtown as part of a larger multi-use development

I think OKC metro could eventually do well with 5 Costcos, but I think Pete's correct that 3 is good for the next 10 years or so, IMO in the order I have laid out. This also puts all Costcos inside OKC city limits.
    Agree with 1/2/3.

On 4 I just don’t see it NW OKC will take turnpike to the north one or westside one. And 5 is a good idea but I don’t see it either it would pull some from other areas. Still too close to North and South ones.

They want people to travel and 4/5 has overlap imo

3. Default Re: Costco

i can't wait for them to open. I just wish the people in Oklahoma had voted the eyeglass bill in so I could buy my glasses at Costco or Sam's.

4. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Agree with 1/2/3.

On 4 I just don’t see it NW OKC will take turnpike to the north one or westside one. And 5 is a good idea but I don’t see it either it would pull some from other areas. Still too close to North and South ones.

They want people to travel and 4/5 has overlap imo
    Does Costco have a different philosophy on that than Sam's? I live in far NW OKC and I would MUCH rather go to the Sam's on NW Expressway than drive to Memorial and Penn.

I was gonna say, I live between 2 Sam's, 3 or so miles from one, and about the same to the other (The Memorial one and the I-35 Edmond one). Neither is ideal for me to get to, but I'll hit the Edmond one more because I don't have to deal with Memorial and Penn.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Does Costco have a different philosophy on that than Sam's? I live in far NW OKC and I would MUCH rather go to the Sam's on NW Expressway than drive to Memorial and Penn.
    Depends on their business model. Sams has been around a long time and can use the Wal-Mart transportation system. So building Sams next to Wal-Mart is not as big a deal for them.

Costo likely has a model showing sales per square foot of store. And its possible 1/2/3 avg X sales where adding a 4th or 5th decrease overal region sales per square foot (and profits). Some companies are willing to give up some sales to stay very profitable. So it depends on if they feel its worth chasing more sales by opening more stores.

Its all speculation and none of us are wrong so its fun to banter about it. I would guess this first store is their prime spot for the region to make most sales per square foot, and every store after has diminishing returns. Can still make a profit but it decreases with each store. So my theory is open the best profit store and decide how many more after its established. Sams are all over due to being next to Wal-Marts so its a different model.

7. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Depends on their business model. Sams has been around a long time and can use the Wal-Mart transportation system. So building Sams next to Wal-Mart is not as big a deal for them.

Costo likely has a model showing sales per square foot of store. And its possible 1/2/3 avg X sales where adding a 4th or 5th decrease overal region sales per square foot (and profits). Some companies are willing to give up some sales to stay very profitable. So it depends on if they feel its worth chasing more sales by opening more stores.

Its all speculation and none of us are wrong so its fun to banter about it. I would guess this first store is their prime spot for the region to make most sales per square foot, and every store after has diminishing returns. Can still make a profit but it decreases with each store. So my theory is open the best profit store and decide how many more after its established. Sams are all over due to being next to Wal-Marts so its a different model.
    That makes sense. I didn't even think about their location in relation to Wal Mart and the logistics that would help with.

Wow! That was fast!

Quote Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
    Wow! That was fast!
    Agreed Guess I need to look at what it takes to sign up

Looks like we'll be buying buckets of mac and cheese and really cheap chickens pretty soon.

Here is membership page. More expensive than Sam's. I can't find anything that really explains the differences between member and executive member other than this page. Says there are a few benefits but doesn't specify. Are there business hours for business members only like Sams has?

https://www.costco.com/join-costco-quick.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Here is membership page. More expensive than Sam's. I can't find anything that really explains the differences between member and executive member other than this page. Says there are a few benefits but doesn't specify. Are there business hours for business members only like Sams has?

https://www.costco.com/join-costco-quick.html
    COSTCO is worth the membership. IMO much better than SAMS

Believe the Executive Member thing at Costco includes a rebate at the end of the year for purchases made, similar to the upgraded Sam's membership.

IIRC, Exec members get in an hour early most days at Costco but the expanded hours are not nearly as liberal as Sam's.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    COSTCO is worth the membership. IMO much better than SAMS
    I have to weigh in the factor that I also live sw of airport so that is a long drive. Will I go enough and will I save enough on items I buy there to justify the membership costs. I am not sure I buy enough at Sams to justify the membership cost. BUT....I am super excited we are getting a costco and will probably check it out for at least a year to see.

16. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Believe the Executive Member thing at Costco includes a rebate at the end of the year for purchases made, similar to the upgraded Sam's membership.

IIRC, Exec members get in an hour early most days at Costco but the expanded hours are not nearly as liberal as Sam's.
    This is correct. Unless you plan to spend huge amounts of money there, the executive membership really isn't worth it. You get 2% back but you have to pay a larger fee. I had it 2 years and didn't get my money's worth - and I shop there fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    This is correct. Unless you plan to spend huge amounts of money there, the executive membership really isn't worth it. You get 2% back but you have to pay a larger fee. I had it 2 years and didn't get my money's worth - and I shop there fairly often.
    The one time I didn't make my money back on the addtional membership cost, they made up the difference.

To make up the $60 upcharge you need to spend at least $3K a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    I'd love to see a Costco go in at I-35 and Covell in north Edmond. I think one would do well there. They would draw Guthrie and Stillwater folks. Then perhaps one down in Moore/Norman.
    From Enid, too.

19. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The one time I didn't make my money back on the addtional membership cost, they made up the difference.

To make up the $60 upcharge you need to spend at least $3K a year.
    They wouldn't make up the difference for me this year so I went back to the old membership. No biggie for me, I still shop there about once every 2 weeks. I just started a pet prescriptions there where I pay $15 for thyroid pills that cost me $78 at the vet's office.

My sister gets a pretty big check every year from Costco. I think $600-700 or so.

21. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    My sister gets a pretty big check every year from Costco. I think $600-700 or so.
    l could see it with several kids and\or a small business.

22. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    Does she own a business - like a restaurant? That's a minimum of $30,000 a year spent only at Costco.

We used to buy a lot at Sam's. However, in recent years it's really dropped. Just too easy to order online and have things delivered to your door.

I'm anxious for the Costco to open. I've shopped them in other states and really like them.

Is even the base level to shop in the store a membership fee?

I was looking at buying some drugs from Costco online but the price was members only to see the price. Signing up for membership was when I realized they wanted a membership fee. I ended up ordering the drugs from Amazon. (Yep, Prime.) I do realize some places have a paid membership, shopped at Sams years ago until I decided to support Walmart as little as possible and dropped it. I'm only in that part of town about once a month if I didn't make a special trip. Probably will end up not shopping there if it's fee.

Edit to add...This is the members only item I was looking for. I've never shopped at their online site but do see some priced items. Is membership required to order online or only on some items online?

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100295245.html

^^^ Pharmacy is mentioned in link.

https://clark.com/shopping-retail/wa...ut-membership/

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Thanks for the link. That's a non-prescription item so I couldn't walk in a store and buy it I guess. Also, they must have some online items you can't buy without a membership even if you do pay the 5%.

I drove by and looked at the location when I was up there last weekend. Think I'll probably pass as a customer.

Thread Information