Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to meet people in OKC?

Default Re: How to meet people in OKC?

bchris02, you've got a lot of good suggestions here, but please don't take this the wrong way...meeting new people and making new friends is like work. they don't just come to your front door.

Another thing I don't think I saw suggested was getting involved down at the boathouse. Take a rowing class or something, or join a rowing team. It's not so much sports as it is a lifestyle deal. It's all there for the taking.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Reading this explains a lot about some of Oklahomans' general backwardness, insularity, and basic lack of curiosity about the world.

Thank God we at least have an alternative to that now, one that is growing and improving. Without it, our city would wither on the vine.

Cities need to be competitive, and the total suburban model is not popular with Gen Y. Again, thanks to our citizens and leaders for having the foresight to create an urban alternative.
    Those type of people exist everywhere, even in the largest of cities, for the most part they stay in their little life bubble. I knew much younger people than me who felt the same way in Austin, they thought anything on the other side of the river required a trip planned in advance. If they were North Austin people they never ventured into South Austin, most still had this vision of South Congress being like it was 20 years ago when it was the hooker and sleazy motel strip instead of what it is now. Some of these people were in architecture/interiors, people who you think would have a bit more open view of their own city. For the most part these were people who were born and raised in Austin, they never got out of town either unless it was to go drinking on the river. Many had never heard of the places that I went to ride in the Hill Country, I found that the most adventurous people in Austin were usually those who grew up some place other than Austin and moved there.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Can anybody on here who is religious recommend churches that have active singles groups for people in their 20s, besides Crossings? I have seen PeopleChurch recommended, which I haven't tried yet but plan to soon. Any others?
    I cannot comment with any experience on my churches young singles program--I am 51 and in the older singles group--but have you checked out Quail Springs Baptist Church? I know I always see tons of people in your age group in between classes (there are classes both at 9:30 and 11 and a cafe area where people hang out between SS/church. The Singles Pastor is awesome and truly emphasizes relationships with others (friendships not dating). There are lots of ways to get involved, both in the Singles Dept and in the church as a whole and I will say that I have never felt uncomfortable or shuffled off in the corner here. I could talk forever about this, but will stop here ;-) Anyway, QSBC is an awesome church!

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Those type of people exist everywhere, even in the largest of cities, for the most part they stay in their little life bubble. I knew much younger people than me who felt the same way in Austin, they thought anything on the other side of the river required a trip planned in advance. If they were North Austin people they never ventured into South Austin, most still had this vision of South Congress being like it was 20 years ago when it was the hooker and sleazy motel strip instead of what it is now. Some of these people were in architecture/interiors, people who you think would have a bit more open view of their own city. For the most part these were people who were born and raised in Austin, they never got out of town either unless it was to go drinking on the river. Many had never heard of the places that I went to ride in the Hill Country, I found that the most adventurous people in Austin were usually those who grew up some place other than Austin and moved there.
    I found it hard to believe, but a friend of mine, who's from Altus, claims there are some people there who have never been out of the county. Your comments makes it easier to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I found it hard to believe, but a friend of mine, who's from Altus, claims there are some people there who have never been out of the county. Your comments makes it easier to believe.
    It wouldn't surprise me, I was born in Altus and have some family left there that hasn't moved elsewhere like the rest of us.

One co-worker in Austin was from San Angelo, his uncle in Brown County had only been out of the county once in his life, his kids took him to a Cowboys game in the 70's. He hadn't left the county since.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    bchris02, you've got a lot of good suggestions here, but please don't take this the wrong way...meeting new people and making new friends is like work. they don't just come to your front door.
    Yes bchris, why weren't you at the OKCTalk gathering last Thursday??

We had a really good crowd -- at least 50 and it definitely skewed younger this time, which seems to be an emerging trend. And, there were quite a few more women.

Completely free food from Iguana, free margaritas, beer, wine, and soft drinks and one of the most beautiful and unique -- and otherwise not readily accessible -- settings in all of OKC. Plus, a large group of like-minded people who for the most part didn't know a lot of people there, either. And many of them would no doubt describe themselves as somewhat introverted.

Good grief, even a certain 19 year-old met us out at Neighborhood Lounge later that night.

In other words, what better opportunity could you possibly hope for??

Sorry, but OKC in general is a pretty darn easy place to meet people. Heck, one of the posters I had never met before Thursday came along with me for most of the day on Saturday in Norman, and we had a fantastic time.

Hate to call you out but lots of people have gone out of their way to help and I'm not seeing much if any effort on your part. That's certainly your prerogative, but you can't exactly blame the community.

7. Default Re: How to meet people in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

We had a really good crowd -- at least 50 and it definitely skewed younger this time, which seems to be an emerging trend. And, there were quite a few more women.

Completely free food from Iguana, free margaritas, beer, wine, and soft drinks and one of the most beautiful and unique -- and otherwise not readily accessible -- settings in all of OKC. Plus, a large group of like-minded people who for the most part didn't know a lot of people there, either. And many of them would no doubt describe themselves as somewhat introverted.

Good grief, even a certain 19 year-old met us out at Neighborhood Lounge later that night.

Sorry, but OKC in general is a pretty darn easy place to meet people. Heck, one of the posters I had never met before Thursday came along with me for most of the day on Saturday in Norman, and we had a fantastic time.

Hate to call you out but lots of people have gone out of their way to help and I'm not seeing much if any effort on your part. That's certainly your prerogative, but you can't exactly blame the community.
    Exactly what I wanted to say.

I'm no Dr Phil or anything, but I detect a hint of social anxiety from him, so I have tried not to pile on in my posts. People like that are going to struggle anywhere. But yes I largely agree with this.

Pete, I am sorry I didn't make it to the OKCTalk meetup. I actually did want to go and had planned on it (even marked on my calendar) but I had to work late that day and it slipped my mind. When I got on this forum later that night and remembered it had taken place I was figuratively smacking myself. I'll do my best to make the next one whenever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I'm no Dr Phil or anything, but I detect a hint of social anxiety from him, so I have tried not to pile on in my posts. People like that are going to struggle anywhere. But yes I largely agree with this.
    You guessed well, I actually do have social anxiety (or maybe extreme shyness). It disappears once I know people though but when meeting new people it can be difficult. When I lived in Charlotte I had a roommate my first year there and developed my social life through him and his friends, so that made it much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Agree. Chris, just come on down to Skinny's tonight. I'll start introducing you to everyone that walks in the door.
    Cool man, I'll see if I can make it Thursday or Friday evening.

Chris, didn't mean to be so harsh it's just that we don't have these things very often and it was a unique opportunity because you had missed the one in August, everyone agreed that was a perfect type of thing for you to get more connected, then just by good fortune we had another one last week, and you missed that one too.

I really do wish you the best. And I would highly recommend going down to Skinny's and meeting up with Sid as he's an incredibly nice guy and that place couldn't be more laid-back and friendly.

11. Default Re: How to meet people in OKC?

Chris, didn't mean to be so harsh it's just that we don't have these things very often and it was a unique opportunity because you had missed the one in August, everyone agreed that was a perfect type of thing for you to get more connected, then just by good fortune we had another one last week, and you missed that one too.

I really do wish you the best. And I would highly recommend going down to Skinny's and meeting up with Sid as he's an incredibly nice guy and that place couldn't be more laid-back and friendly.
    +1000 Skinny Slim's is, IMO, the best bar in all of OKC. Easiest place to meet random, fun people. You HAVE to stop by there some time.

ONLINE is the best way!!!

Haha, yeah that's me!!! lol

Bchris, would've been really nice to meet you though!

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I have been in OKC for a year now after moving from Charlotte. I love the job I have here and this was definitely an excellent career move for me. However, my social life still is pretty much limited to Skyping with friends back in Charlotte. The thing is, I am an introvert so I don't make friends as easily as a lot of people. I find myself unique in that I am a guy who doesn't like sports except for being a casual Thunder follower and am into the arts. I am also in my late 20s and not married yet and don't want to be for a few more years. I am also the kind of guy who likes to get out and do stuff. So far, my attempt to discover my niche in OKC has been very rocky.

I have tried the church scene and have tried most of the most popular churches around town i.e. Lifechurch, Victory, Crossings, etc and have found that the church scene is very family oriented and I stick out like a sore thumb being 28 now and not married (this wasn't a problem in Charlotte). I have not found anywhere with an active singles group like where I went out in Charlotte. I have done some volunteer work since I've been here but didn't form lasting relationships that way. How else is there to meet people in this city? I haven't tried Meetup.com because I had a terrible experience with it when I moved to Charlotte. Maybe its better here and need to face my fear. Nonetheless, being an introvert is a huge hurdle I have to overcome but I did it easily in Charlotte so it would make sense that I should be able to here.

Despite sometimes being overly harsh on OKC on this forum I think it's a city I could learn to love if I could find my niche. For those on this forum who relocated from elsewhere, knowing nobody here, how long did it take you to really feel at home and how did you go about it?
    I think you need to get involved with causes, date women who have friends, volunteer at places, do something crazy, and resort to drinking when all else fails. Try the Parrish in Plaza if you're religious.

This thread is old, so I'm not sure how much of this info still applies. I am a 25 year old male that just moved to OKC for work. I am someone who has focused the last 6 years of my life only on work. Now I find myself in a new city with my dream job, I’m just missing a social life. Where are some places or events that I can go to where I can meet new people, especially women. Where do people my age hangout here in OKC? Any input at all is appreciated. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCtransplant1 View Post
    This thread is old, so I'm not sure how much of this info still applies. I am a 25 year old male that just moved to OKC for work. I am someone who has focused the last 6 years of my life only on work. Now I find myself in a new city with my dream job, I’m just missing a social life. Where are some places or events that I can go to where I can meet new people, especially women. Where do people my age hangout here in OKC? Any input at all is appreciated. Thank you!
    https://okc.ossosports.com/ sign on for one of these teams Kickball volleyball or what ever .. you will meet a ton of under 30 year olds men and women ..

There is a lot of threads on the OKC subreddit that cover this information. You are young, so bars will be a great spot for you to meet anyone. I would check out Jones Assembly, they have random events and also just any Thurs-Sat night is going to be popping there with young people. They also have bingo nights that start up in the summer on their patio that are really fun.

There are tons of people at the various trivia nights.

Even though you are competing with others, I've met lots of people after the game is over. Ask how they did, if they go to other competitions, etc.

I really miss the trivia nights at Flashback but they are everywhere now. Same with Singo and other organized bar games.

19. Default Re: How to meet people in OKC?

Red Coyote Pack Pint night runs are another alternative that is not so alcohol-focused.

Generally the trick is going to be find something you enjoy doing or are interested in that involves groups and go do that thing. And then make an effort to connect to the other people doing the thing.

21. Default Re: How to meet people in OKC?

Find a networking group for your industry, they are out there!

Hey man, there are several districts with active nightlife spots. The Plaza, Midtown, Film Row, Farmers Market area, Uptown, and Paseo are great districts to explore. Bricktown is more clubby and tourist bars.

Some of my favorite bars are: Bar Arbolada, The Flee, Up Down, Good Times, The Other Room, Rad Bar, Power House, Blok Bar, The Pump (Especially in warmer months), Palo Santo, and Jones Assembly. Many of these have different nightly events happening, and if you follow Happy Hour OKC on Instagram they post a lot of events going on in the city and at several of these places. There are also several breweries if you're into beer.

Hey man, there are several districts with active nightlife spots. The Plaza, Midtown, Film Row, Farmers Market area, Uptown, and Paseo are great districts to explore. Bricktown is more clubby and tourist bars.

Some of my favorite bars are: Bar Arbolada, The Flee, Up Down, Good Times, The Other Room, Rad Bar, Power House, Blok Bar, The Pump (Especially in warmer months), Palo Santo, and Jones Assembly. Many of these have different nightly events happening, and if you follow Happy Hour OKC on Instagram they post a lot of events going on in the city and at several of these places. There are also several breweries if you're into beer.

Find a church

Yeah, if you're a churchgoer, Frontline Church downtown is loaded with people in that age group.

Thread Information