Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: White Castle in OKC?

1. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

I don't have a dog in this hunt - but I went ahead and called White Castle corporate and they said the only Oklahoma location was in Muskogee and only for a short time. I asked specifically about Moore, and they said no. My information is only as good as whomever answered the phone - but they transferred me and the person said he was looking at a location history report of all locations past and present.

I guess a followup call to someone like the Moore Chamber of Commerce might help back that info up.

2. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Sorry Brian but the person you contacted at White Castle is obviously an idiot.... Or so I've been told.

That is interesting though that their timeline never shows them expanding into Oklahoma but they say they had a location in Muskogee. I'll have to file that into my list of handy information for the next time SoonerDave and I argue over White Castle.

I ate at the location in question and remember the reason we stopped was because they advertised $0.25 hamburgers and as a poor high school student that was a heck of a price even in the late 80's. I also remember the burgers having that school cafeteria flavor which is nothing like the flavor of a White Castle.

I also know there is a Pickle's American Grill right down the street but for some reason I have it stuck in my head that Pickle's was the name of the location in question.

3. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

I take White Castle management at their word. The website cearly states White Castle is a privately held corporation, and expands only through retained earnings. Much akin to Braums, also privately held, White Castle will expand only so far as their supply chain will allow.

Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

My guess is that there may have been a White Castle in Moore but it was its own entity, not affiliated with the chain. There is a Whataburger in Russellville, AR that is that way. I can't say for sure however.

Bchris02,
    I don't know about White Castle but I have seen the Whataburger in Russellville several times and wondered how they did it because it certainly isn't a normal Whataburger.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    My guess is that there may have been a White Castle in Moore but it was its own entity, not affiliated with the chain. There is a Whataburger in Russellville, AR that is that way. I can't say for sure however.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Sorry Brian but the person you contacted at White Castle is obviously an idiot.... Or so I've been told.
    I guess it comes down to the old adage....who am I going to believe, you or my lying eyes

Cmon, someone has to have a 1984 or 1985 Moore phone book laying around.....

7. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

I'd be most willing to believe that it was called White Castle but was not a White Castle.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    I guess it comes down to the old adage....who am I going to believe, you or my lying eyes

Cmon, someone has to have a 1984 or 1985 Moore phone book laying around.....
    According to the catalog the Oklahoma History Center has phone books for Moore for 1985 and for Norman for 1982-1984 and 1986 and Oklahoma City for 1978-204. But I've not tried to research using phone books.

I searched the Oklahoman's archives for that period and nothing came up. There might not have been any reason for it to be mentioned there though.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Bchris02,
    I don't know about White Castle but I have seen the Whataburger in Russellville several times and wondered how they did it because it certainly isn't a normal Whataburger.
    C. T.
    I was once told that the Texas chain Whataburger has agreed to not have any Arkansas locations because of it.

I was once told that the Texas chain Whataburger has agreed to not have any Arkansas locations because of it.
    Actually they have a location in Texarkana, Arkansas.

http://www.whataburger.com/locations...state=Arkansas

The name is spelled differently in Russellville.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Originally Posted by bluedogok
    Nope.... You can keep repeating it but it doesn't make it so. There has never been a White Castle in Oklahoma. As I've already pointed out. They list every state they have ever expanded to on their website.
    Excuse me? You can keep telling me it didn't happen and that doesn't make it so. I don't give a flying crap what their website says. It was in business such a short time it wouldn't surprise me at ALL that it doesn't show up on some "it has to be right, it's on the Internet!" store list.

Good GAREEEEF!!! I'm not going to engage in an argument with people trying to tell me I didn't do something I absolutely did do. For heavens' sake, I was with my mother, and even she was intrigued by the fact she used to eat White Castle hamburgers up north in the Buffalo area when I was just a kid, so she wanted to try them out, too. But I guess that's a fiction that never happened, too..... *SIGH*

I don't know why it isn't on their website, I'm sorry I don't have a picture, or a copy of the receipt, or saved a wrapper, or whatever.
    That wasn't my quote that you responded to.....

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Bchris02,
    C. T.
    The one in Russellville is Feltner's Whatta-Burger and a single location there. The Corpus Christi founded Whataburger (HQ moved to San Antonio about five years ago) started in the 50's, the one in Russellville in the 60's. I would imagine they would grant a Whataburger franchise in Little Rock or NWA if someone qualified came forward, just not one in Russellville.

Serious Eats - Feltner's Whatta-Burger Holds Steady in a Time Warp in Russellville, AR

White Castle is absent in the South minus Tennessee, and only in Nashville. I love White Castle and would like to see them here, but as I said in my other thread, I think OKC will see In-n-Out Burger before White Castle. I haven't seen White Castle do any meaningful expansion in years.
    Because in the South they have Krystal which is basically the same thing as White Castle.

I'd be most willing to believe that it was called White Castle but was not a White Castle.
    It was Wite Kastle

16. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    That wasn't my quote that you responded to.....
    Are you sure?

17. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Ok.... Ready for me to throw another wrench in the works. I just got this from Jim Corbett the Moore City Clerk.

Looking for info. Our records show Las Fajitas has been there since 1991.
    Was told it was Neptunes. A sub sandwich shop.
    LMAO!!! I sure as heck don't remember it being a Neptunes!

I've researched the County Assessors records and know the building was built in 1995 but the only sales records are Carlos Gimenez selling it to Carlos Gimenez.

My mom was Mr. Gimenez's accountant when he opened Las Fajitas at that location and she said she remembered it being a hamburger place but does not remember the name.

Ok.... Ready for me to throw another wrench in the works. I just got this from Jim Corbett the Moore City Clerk.

LMAO!!! I sure as heck don't remember it being a Neptunes!

I've researched the County Assessors records and know the building was built in 1995 but the only sales records are Carlos Gimenez selling it to Carlos Gimenez.

My mom was Mr. Gimenez's accountant when he opened Las Fajitas at that location and she said she remembered it being a hamburger place but does not remember the name.
    Didn't the old Las Fajitas get blown away in the 2003 tornado and they rebuilt it?

19. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    Didn't the old Las Fajitas get blown away in the 2003 tornado and they rebuilt it?
    It took some damage but it wasn't a total rebuild.

It took some damage but it wasn't a total rebuild.
    Thanks didn't know if it a rebuild or not with that storm. I know back in the 80s there was a taco tico in the place boomerang is at now on broadway just north of 12th street, Im not sure what it was before that. I was really young but I don't remember a white castle in Moore, I know there was a burger king on 27th street and I-35.

21. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    Thanks didn't know if it a rebuild or not with that storm. I know back in the 80s there was a taco tico in the place boomerang is at now on broadway just north of 12th street, Im not sure what it was before that. I was really young but I don't remember a white castle in Moore, I know there was a burger king on 27th street and I-35.
    It was a Dale's BBQ House before becoming Boom-a-Rang..... I wish it was still a Taco Tico.

The slider place being discussed was off 12th Street either where Las Fajitas is now or close to it. If Western Sizzlin was there in the 80's Mackie McNear may remember the name of the place. I do think the word Castle was in the name but I do not remember it being White Castle. It it was White Castle, I do not think it was part of the chain. I have been wrong before, so it could have been a real White Castle but I do not know for sure. Ironically, White Castle started in Wichita, but there are not any White Castles in Wichita now.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Excuse me? You can keep telling me it didn't happen and that doesn't make it so. I don't give a flying crap what their website says. It was in business such a short time it wouldn't surprise me at ALL that it doesn't show up on some "it has to be right, it's on the Internet!" store list.

Good GAREEEEF!!! I'm not going to engage in an argument with people trying to tell me I didn't do something I absolutely did do. For heavens' sake, I was with my mother, and even she was intrigued by the fact she used to eat White Castle hamburgers up north in the Buffalo area when I was just a kid, so she wanted to try them out, too. But I guess that's a fiction that never happened, too..... *SIGH*

I don't know why it isn't on their website, I'm sorry I don't have a picture, or a copy of the receipt, or saved a wrapper, or whatever.
    I know the one you are speaking of and it was not a white castle. I have been waiting for the original white castle to open up since the 70s in this area but as of today there has been none. And the white castle you get in the frozen freezer section in the grocery store is no where near the taste of a fresh white castle. Whenever I am in St. Louis it's a must stop. Krystals was the closet thing but not the same.

24. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Someone on Facebook said they thought it was called Bunches.... does that ring a bell with anyone?

That sounds more like an underwear problem.

Thread Information