Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: White Castle in OKC?

Default White Castle in OKC?

This question came up in an argument I had with a friend to which my final reply was, "Hey, it's up to White Castle to come here. The state of Oklahoma hasn't put a ban on them to come build here." I hope someone here can provide a good answer to why they haven't yet.. ?

Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by okcsince1987 View Post
    This question came up in an argument I had with a friend to which my final reply was, "Hey, it's up to White Castle to come here. The state of Oklahoma hasn't put a ban on them to come build here." I hope someone here can provide a good answer to why they haven't yet.. ?
    They are only located in 12 states in the Midwest and East. Why aren't they in any of the other 37 states besides Oklahoma?

All White Castle Locations | White Castle

Quote Originally Posted by okcsince1987 View Post
    White Castle is absent in the South minus Tennessee, and only in Nashville. I love White Castle and would like to see them here, but as I said in my other thread, I think OKC will see In-n-Out Burger before White Castle. I haven't seen White Castle do any meaningful expansion in years.

Harold and Kumar wouldn't have to travel so far. I'd like to see both those Hamburger joints come to this area.

I have eaten at White Castle twice, about 30 years apart. I figure it will be another 30 years before I eat there again, just to remember the reasons why I don't eat there. I have yet to figure out why it is popular with some people, to each their own though.

They were in Moore several (and I do mean several years ago). They were...well, White Castle burgers. And they were gone in less than a year, IIRC.

Not unusual to desire what you can't have.

8. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I have eaten at White Castle twice, about 30 years apart. I figure it will be another 30 years before I eat there again, just to remember the reasons why I don't eat there. I have yet to figure out why it is popular with some people, to each their own though.
    I've noticed that people either love or hate White Castles. I fall on the love side. Last trip I made to Michigan to visit friends they met me at the airport with a Crave Case.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    They were in Moore several (and I do mean several years ago). They were...well, White Castle burgers. And they were gone in less than a year, IIRC.
    There was a slider restaurant in Moore at one time but it was not a White Castle..... Don't remember which thread it was in but it was discussed here before and I provided a link on the White Castle website that lists when they expanded to certain states and Oklahoma is never listed.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I've noticed that people either love or hate White Castles. I fall on the love side. Last trip I made to Michigan to visit friends they met me at the airport with a Crave Case.

There was a slider restaurant in Moore at one time but it was not a White Castle..... Don't remember which thread it was in but it was discussed here before and I provided a link on the White Castle website that lists when they expanded to certain states and Oklahoma is never listed.
    It was called Mr. Burger. It was where Van's was before the Tornado hit on May 20th.

mr burger | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

White Castle and Krystal are about the same to me. Both are good once in a while but, not any kind of a regular basis. When I lived in Mississippi I went there maybe 5 times in the 5 years I lived there.

White Castle and Krystal burgers are about the same quality as White Castle Burgers you find in the local grocery stores.

And I still stand by my memory of there being one in Moore, south of 12th st on the service road, where Las Fajita's is today. This was confirmed by others, but I have no idea what thread that was in.

11. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

FAQs | White Castle

2) Why hasn’t White Castle expanded to my area?
    White Castle and all its subsidiaries are privately owned and operated. The company does not franchise or offer stock options, and finances its expansion solely through retained earnings. For these reasons, White Castle expands slowly and tends to operate within the existing Midwest and Northeast regions where all our support facilities (meat plants, bakeries, etc.) are located. We believe in this business practice so we can provide a stable company for the more than 12,000+ team members it supports.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    And I still stand by my memory of there being one in Moore, south of 12th st on the service road, where Las Fajita's is today. This was confirmed by others, but I have no idea what thread that was in.
    I don't ever remember one being in that location or anywhere in Oklahoma, the closest that I have seen one is Memphis. I think the one in Moore was a White Castle clone that someone tried and failed with. It is hard to get traction with a clone when people know the White Castle name and that is what will attract them, hard to draw unless you do some sort of blitz advertising to let people know what it is supposed to be. A White Castle may work in OKC, not really sure though since it is a hard fast food market to crack.

This was pre-1985, the sign was the same logo as the one in the Harold and Kumar movie

14. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

White Castle was founded in 1921 in Wichita, Kansas.

White Castle (restaurant) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    This was pre-1985, the sign was the same logo as the one in the Harold and Kumar movie
    That was right at the time that I was driving to Norman all the time, still don't remember it.

Last time I actually ate at a WC would have been in the early 90's. Both times I was up in Chicago watching my sons graduate from Navy Boot Camp. Lot of WC's in that town.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I don't ever remember one being in that location or anywhere in Oklahoma, the closest that I have seen one is Memphis. I think the one in Moore was a White Castle clone that someone tried and failed with. It is hard to get traction with a clone when people know the White Castle name and that is what will attract them, hard to draw unless you do some sort of blitz advertising to let people know what it is supposed to be. A White Castle may work in OKC, not really sure though since it is a hard fast food market to crack.
    No offense, bluedog, but it was a White Castle and it was in Moore. It wasn't a clone.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmorerulz View Post
    this was pre-1985, the sign was the same logo as the one in the harold and kumar movie
    bingo.

No offense, bluedog, but it was a White Castle and it was in Moore. It wasn't a clone.
    It might have been, I just don't remember it and I drove that stretch often in that time frame....of course maybe I blocked it out because of how bad I thought their food was.

You see White castle best when you're riding a Cheetah or hang gliding.

I swear I remember it as well, but many folks have convinced me that I am mistaken. I still think it was there...

22. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Nope.... You can keep repeating it but it doesn't make it so. There has never been a White Castle in Oklahoma. As I've already pointed out. They list every state they have ever expanded to on their website.

23. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

In the beginning, there was a craving. And it was good. | White Castle

There is the link I posted in the other thread (Page 5 of the In-n-Out thread). If they ever had a White Castle here they must have chosen to remove it from their history because it never shows up anywhere in their time line.

Or perhaps it was really called White Castle and was sued out of business by the real White Castle which would explain why it didn't last long.

Ehh, it's not worth arguing over but I remember it pretty vividly...we lived in the apartments just south of 12th St at the time. It didn't last long, that part of the service rd was kinda off the beaten path at the time. I could be wrong but even wifeypoo remembers it.

Edit: I tried to find a business directory for the time but my Google-Fu wasn't strong enough

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok
    Nope.... You can keep repeating it but it doesn't make it so. There has never been a White Castle in Oklahoma. As I've already pointed out. They list every state they have ever expanded to on their website.
    Excuse me? You can keep telling me it didn't happen and that doesn't make it so. I don't give a flying crap what their website says. It was in business such a short time it wouldn't surprise me at ALL that it doesn't show up on some "it has to be right, it's on the Internet!" store list.

Good GAREEEEF!!! I'm not going to engage in an argument with people trying to tell me I didn't do something I absolutely did do. For heavens' sake, I was with my mother, and even she was intrigued by the fact she used to eat White Castle hamburgers up north in the Buffalo area when I was just a kid, so she wanted to try them out, too. But I guess that's a fiction that never happened, too..... *SIGH*

I don't know why it isn't on their website, I'm sorry I don't have a picture, or a copy of the receipt, or saved a wrapper, or whatever.

Thread Information