Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: White Castle in OKC?

Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    That sounds more like an underwear problem.
    Ouch!

I lived and worked in Moore in the 1980s and, yes, the slider place was called Bunches. Their slogan was "Buy them by the bunches" or something similar IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    ...Good GAREEEEF!!! I'm not going to engage in an argument with people trying to tell me I didn't do something I absolutely did do. ...
    Memories can be tricky things...there was a guy selling drinking glasses on Ebay from Panchos and he insisted that he got them from the Tulsa Casa Bonita (the glasses didn't mention either place by name, just the Panchos mascot character). For some reason folks get them confused since they were both mexican all-you-can-eat places that had the "raise the flag" for reorders). And here in OKC they were both located on 39th street. I let him know of the error, pointing him to Panchos website for the mascot representation etc but no matter what factual evidence was presented, he still insisted that he got them at Casa Bonita...because by gawd, he DID...LOL Not saying this happened to you, but it can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Memories can be tricky things...there was a guy selling drinking glasses on Ebay from Panchos and he insisted that he got them from the Tulsa Casa Bonita (the glasses didn't mention either place by name, just the Panchos mascot character). For some reason folks get them confused since they were both mexican all-you-can-eat places that had the "raise the flag" for reorders). And here in OKC they were both located on 39th street. I let him know of the error, pointing him to Panchos website for the mascot representation etc but no matter what factual evidence was presented, he still insisted that he got them at Casa Bonita...because by gawd, he DID...LOL Not saying this happened to you, but it can happen.
    Understand and agree completely, but it didn't happen in this case It was White Castle, and as I said before, I'll stand by that even if the Internet or the little blond chick that says "they can't post anything on the Internet that isn't true" insists I didn't. If it were a casual memory of "I remember walking by a building like that one day, and it might have been green," that would be one thing, but my memory is of a specific experience in a specific context, while with another party, who had their own context for the situation. I would never have given the place a second thought were it not for the fact it was a White Castle, which is why I took my mom there in the first place. But I realize none of that carries any weight, because (insert angelic music) The Internet Sayeth Differently.

Whatever.

As I said, I know what I did. That's good enough for me, even if not for anyone else.

In my own opinion, I just do not think White Castle would go over in Oklahoma? If another fast food burger joint opens up in OK, I would say the one mostly likely to succeed would be In and Out. The Southern version of WC which is Krystal Burger opened up in the DFW area where I live and since then, they have closed down. Some of their locations being converted to Carl's Jr.s

6. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    In my own opinion, I just do not think White Castle would go over in Oklahoma? If another fast food burger joint opens up in OK, I would say the one mostly likely to succeed would be In and Out. The Southern version of WC which is Krystal Burger opened up in the DFW area where I live and since then, they have closed down. Some of their locations being converted to Carl's Jr.s
    Do you know if all four of the Krystal's that opened in the DFW area closed already?

As much as I'd like to see a White Castle here I kind of have the same opinion. Not sure it would succeed..... Even though I'd try really hard to make it succeed. At least until I dropped dead from eating too many Crave Cases.

7. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

...But I realize none of that carries any weight, because (insert angelic music) The Internet Sayeth Differently... Whatever. ...
    Just for clarification, actually it is the White Castle corporation that says they never had one in Moore. Muskogee? Yes. Moore? No.

8. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Whatever.

As I said, I know what I did. That's good enough for me, even if not for anyone else.
    Everyone's free to have their own halucinations. So how dare someone from White Castle's own corporate office try and take that treasured memory away from you!

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Do you know if all four of the Krystal's that opened in the DFW area closed already?

As much as I'd like to see a White Castle here I kind of have the same opinion. Not sure it would succeed..... Even though I'd try really hard to make it succeed. At least until I dropped dead from eating too many Crave Cases.
    I do know the Krystal's on Midway Road in Dallas closed down and it was converted to a Carl's Jr. Another friend told me that where he lives there was a Krystal's very nearby and it had also closed. I did not ask him specifically what location that was?

I ate once at a White Castle in Kansas City when I lived there. Didn't really care for it. But I think I heard they're all gone now from KC.

Seriously, what difference does it make if there was one in Moore or not. I take SoonerDave's word for it because why should I give a fiddlers fart if he's right or wrong. Just silliness.

12. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Seriously, what difference does it make if there was one in Moore or not. I take SoonerDave's word for it because why should I give a fiddlers fart if he's right or wrong. Just silliness.
    Like I said... We're all free to have our hallucinations.

Forget a White Castle. Their needs to be a push to try and get the Heart Attack Grill to open a location here. Offer em' tax breaks and they'll be right here contributing to Obesity, Heart Disease, and High Blood Pressure.

This came up on an FB group yesterday, went about the same as here. I lived 6 blocks from the White Castle in Moore in the Mid 80's and ate there several times. It was where Las Fajitas was, It may have became "Bunches" but It was White Castle in 1985.

It was there, as you describe, I ate there and lived 6 blocks from it.

It was not White Castle. I have talked to the owners of White Castle about 6 months ago when I was eating there in Vegas and they said there has never been in OKC. I keep asking them to build a White Castle in Hollywood and OKC and luckily for me, a Hollywood location isn’t far fetched.

I'll just leave this here then.

Mandela Effect

18. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

It may have been briefly called White Castle until the actual trademark holding White Castle made them change their name. But it was never a legitimate White Castle.

Amazing that so many have had the same hallucinations....we must have had some great drugs back then

20. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The one in Russellville is Feltner's Whatta-Burger and a single location there. The Corpus Christi founded Whataburger (HQ moved to San Antonio about five years ago) started in the 50's, the one in Russellville in the 60's. I would imagine they would grant a Whataburger franchise in Little Rock or NWA if someone qualified came forward, just not one in Russellville.

Serious Eats - Feltner's Whatta-Burger Holds Steady in a Time Warp in Russellville, AR
    I ate there about a month and a half ago while on a motorcycle Trip. Definitely a time warp. I noticed the difference in spelling but still wondered how they had stayed out of Whataburger’s crosshairs, since it seems like such a brand similarity invariably results in a cease and desist and a victory by the bigger business even if the small guy was first to market.

After reading, it sounds like there was a handshake agreement between the two that Whataburger would never expand to Russellville and Whatta-burger would never expand outside of that market. If so, it makes me think even more highly of Whataburger than I already did.

I already had a bunch of love for Whataburger because my ex-wife’s mom and grandparents were from Corpus and we spent a lot of time down there, where people’s pride in their hometown chain was almost infectious.

In a similar vein, I always wondered how WATSON burger did not get any heat from Whataburger for having a strinkingly similar designed place.

22. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Amazing that so many have had the same hallucinations.
    Not really. YouTube some vintage Benny Hinn, not Hill, and you’ll see stadiums of people mass hallucinating.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    It may have been briefly called White Castle until the actual trademark holding White Castle made them change their name. But it was never a legitimate White Castle.
    Now *that* is an explanation I'm more than happy to accept.

Now *that* is an explanation I'm more than happy to accept.

I remember when that place in Moore first opened and I was excited to get over there with White Castles dancing around in my head. Then reality set in when I got there. It was not White Castle. It was a cheap knock off wanna be. It wasn't named White Castle, but I remember It was real close though.

25. Default Re: White Castle in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    I remember when that place in Moore first opened and I was excited to get over there with White Castles dancing around in my head. Then reality set in when I got there. It was not White Castle. It was a cheap knock off wanna be. It wasn't named White Castle, but I remember It was real close though.
    I only remember it being called Bunches and remember the burgers tasting like school cafeteria burgers.

Thread Information