Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 15 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

OK River 2028 Olympics in OKC

This could be one of the biggest things to ever to happen to OKC:

Huge news: OKC may host Summer Olympic events

The Los Angeles 2028 Organizing Committee is considering moving the Games' canoe slalom events to the Riversport Rapids Whitewater Center in Oklahoma City.

Riversport Rapids was built south of downtown along the Oklahoma River as part of the sales-tax-funded MAPS 3 initiative and has seen several improvements since opening in 2019. It is an established site for the sport and is selected as the host for the International Canoe Federation (ICF) World Canoe Slalom Championships in 2026. It has also hosted the ICF Canoe Sprint Super Cup in 2021 and 2022.

The neighboring OKC National High Performance Center is an official U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Training Site and as such provides coaching, training facilities, and financial support for elite American rowing, kayak, and canoe athletes.

Now, according to a recent report from the ICF, Oklahoma has an excellent chance to host at least six events as part of the 2028 Los Angeles Summer Olympic Games.

Due to the expense of hosting the Olympics, the International Olympic Committee voted in 2019 to allow multi-city and multi-country bids to help defray costs. As a result, the 2026 Winter Olympics will be split between Milan and Cortina d'Apezzo in Italy.

Although Los Angeles has hosted the Summer Games as recently as 1984 and they will be making use of multiple existing stadiums and arenas, the LA28 committee is still expecting to spend nearly $7 billion to host in 2028. The 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro was reported to have experienced a net loss of over $2 billion.

California does not have an existing whitewater facility and the preliminary plan was to build an estimated $100 million temporary site in order to accommodate the canoe slalom events (previously known as whitewater slalom) that have been part of the Games since 1972.

According to the ICF, only two cities in the U.S. have existing facilities that would meet the necessary standards: Oklahoma City and Charlotte, North Carolina.

In a report last fall, the ICF specifically mentioned Oklahoma as a likely candidate to host canoe slalom, although an official announcement has yet to be made.

The 2028 Summer Games are scheduled for July 14-30 and the Paralympics for August 15-27.

The six slalom events are split equally between men and women with approximately 100 competing athletes. Europeans have traditionally dominated the sport but in recent years other countries have become more competitive. There is also the possibility Oklahoma City could host river-based Olympic sports such as rowing.

The Olympic spotlight would bring unprecedented international exposure to Oklahoma City and the state and bring a significant, direct economic impact.

In addition to the delegation of athletes, coaches, and officials, there would also be a large international media presence along with fans from all over the world.

For the 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo, stands were erected to accommodate 7,500 fans at their whitewater facility. In 2024, the Paris venue will accommodate 12,000.

Tokyo Whitewater Facility

To date, only 3 U.S. Cities have hosted Summer Games: St. Louis in 1904, Los Angeles in 1932 and 1984, and Atlanta in 1996.

Cities typically need years to prepare for the Olympics. As part of the recent upgrades and expansion at Will Rogers Airport, a new customs area was added for international flights but there would be countless additional logistical considerations.

Final decisions on the entire sports program and associated venues for the 2028 Summer Olympic Games will be announced by the end of the year.

What is Canoe Slalom?
    Canoe slalom features competitors navigating a whitewater course - up to 300 meters in length - by passing through a maximum 25 gates in as quick a time as possible.

There are boats of two types: kayaks with the athletes seated and employing a double-bladed paddle; and canoes, where the athlete is strapped into the boat in a kneeling position using a single-blade paddle.

New for Paris 2024 is extreme kayak where four athletes race against each other on a shortened course, rather than racing a clock.

Default Re: 2028 Summer Olympics in OKC

I worded that article very carefully as this has been percolating for a while, but I have a high degree of confidence that this is going to happen.

It's really unbelievable if you think about it; almost too good to be true.

Holy smokes this would be awesome!

This is honestly kind of mindblowing and the fact that there's a decent chance it could happen is incredible. I'm really excited at what this could mean for the future trajectory of OKC!

Well, now our inept airport and inadequate air service will really be tested. Given 4 years, I'd have faith in most airports to get ready for it. But WRWA, it will be very tough.

But this would be great for the city and state! The benefits could be innumerable.

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

This would be amazing for the city, this is not something I would've imagined happening in my lifetime even if it isn't a large part of the total event count.

With OKANA being well-past opening by that point, I'm sure those in control of the Chickasaw Tribe's business ventures are licking their lips at the sound of this.

One of the many great things about an Olympics is it sets a very definite deadline to get crap done.

I know wheels have been turning behind the scenes for quite some time and all types of plans are in progress -- both related to the Olympics and otherwise -- but once there is an official announcement then everyone gets very focused in a big hurry.

This would be a catalyst for all types of things and you can bet your sweet bippy that the Dream Hotel project would kick into high gear.

Is it possible the I-35 bridges over the river could be fast tracked to be finished by 2028? Has ODOT ever done something like that?

Doesn't the Olympic committee provide funding for certain upgrades for infrastructure and facilities?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is it possible the I-35 bridges over the river could be fast tracked to be finished by 2028? Has ODOT ever done something like that?
    Yes, it's possible.

I'll have a follow-up story later in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Doesn't the Olympic committee provide funding for certain upgrades for infrastructure and facilities?
    The LA28 organizing committee handles all the expenses.

It's not known how much if any funding they would provide to OKC, but it's likely some money would come our way. But certainly, OKC will be paying a chunk as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, it's possible.

I'll have a follow-up story later in the week.
    Awesome! That’ll be great.

Have certain events ever been moved that far away from the main Olympic hosting city before? I don't think I've ever heard of that being done. Even the two cities mentioned in Italy are only 92 miles apart.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Have certain events ever been moved that far away from the main Olympic hosting city before? I don't think I've ever heard of that being done.
    It wasn't possible until the IOC changed the rules in 2019.

They added that flexibility specifically for situations like this: even the biggest cities have to absorb massive expenses to build facilities that have little to no value after the 2-week Games are over.

It's getting harder for cities to make the Games work financially, so they added this alternative.

LA's initial plan was to build a temporary facility for close to $100 million and then immediately tear it down. Through this change, this type of wasteful expense can be avoided and the Games will have a brighter future with more cities bidding.

Well I guess we're closer than Charlotte. Still seems really strange.

Charlotte was not considered for some reason.

It is strange but we should see more of this multiple-city arrangement in the future. For the same reasons, it's already happened in the World Cup and for the 2026 Winter Olympics, the events will happen in two separate Italian cities.

Most people don't realize how many facilities are needed. Even in freaking Los Angeles -- which unquestionably has more Olympic-sized pools than anywhere in the world (most Cali high schools have them), they are planning to build a temporary swim venue on top of the USC baseball field.

There is probably nothing more specialized that a whitewater facility, which is why there are only two of world-class caliber in the entire United States.

It’s strange, but it is what it is. And they can easily add LA’s smog on the tv broadcast if they want to make it look more realistic.

Hope this happens.

Would be cool to be one of the first few cities used like this for future Olympic Games if they do begin to do this more often.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a new hotel downtown with 400+ rooms out of all this. Omni can definitely capitalize on this, they could expand over the Boulevard Place plat, since those developers don't seem to have any movement.

WRWA will definitely need to add more connecting flights that Summer, since we don't have any direct international flights. Many people will probably fly in or drive from Dallas.

But they do have it on the master plan to add more gates, so this also might happen sooner than later.

Too bad MAPS 4 funds are already earmarked for specific projects. We could of use some of those funds for facility and infrastructure upgrades for the events. But the contingency funds can be used for pretty much whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Too bad MAPS 4 funds are already earmarked for specific projects. We could of use some of those funds for facility and infrastructure upgrades for the events. But the contingency funds be used for pretty much whatever?
    There is quite a bit of flexibility built into MAPS, but there would likely be other funding sources as well. The Convention and Visitors Bureau has a bunch of money and there are hotel taxes that could be tapped.

If this turns out to be only events at the whitewater facility, the main issue would be seating and moving people in and out.

If we were somehow able to get rowing, that's a whole other ballgame but it would also be way more people coming in and more revenue.

Have certain events ever been moved that far away from the main Olympic hosting city before? I don't think I've ever heard of that being done. Even the two cities mentioned in Italy are only 92 miles apart.
    The surfing events for Paris 2024 will be in Tahiti. Seems like this will become more common. It’s a great way to take advantage of existing facilities. Those pictures that pop up every four years of abandoned stadiums are always interesting, but so wasteful.

I’m excited to see what OKC can do in five years.

As I said, there is nothing to get you focused like a hard deadline.

With almost every Olympics, there are rampant reports of things running way behind schedule and much hand-wringing about pulling everything together in time. And yet, it always gets done.

And it's not just the things that are directly part of hosting the events like the venues themselves, it's about a City wanting to be ready to put its best foot forward when you are going to be on a truly international stage. THAT is what excites me most... All the projects in the planning stages will be moved to the front burner with an immovable finish-by date.

As a side note, I already have friends from all over the country wanting to come stay with me!

I've been processing this for months now but when I first realized it was a real possibility I couldn't even think through what this might look like for OKC. So, I've had a head-start on almost everyone else and now I don't know if I've ever been as excited about anything OKC-related.

OKC literally would be put on the global map and our national profile will grow exponentially. Simply put, people will think of us differently and I'm including those who live in the City and state.

The primary reaction on social media has been disbelief. It's time for our residents to start thinking bigger and start believing in grand possibilities.

All that might seem like hyperbole, but as I said, I've been thinking about this for months now. Many will come around to the same way of thinking, especially if/when there is an official announcement.

Look at that first photo in the article I posted...

It's an amazing view of OKC and 99.8% of the people tuning in will be shocked and impressed by that image alone.

And imagine Boathouse Row all lit up and night and reflecting off the river with the glowing skyline in the background... That image will be beamed to every country in the world.

Thread Information