Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Page Woodson School

Default Re: Page Woodson School

Right, they demolished that indoor pool building which was not original to the school.

They will be adding on a brand new structure to the east which will contain apartments and more or less be part of the overall school redevelopment. So that will be built simultaneously with the school renovation.

I'm most excited to see the common areas in the school come back to life, as well as the auditorium, which will be available for public use.

Oh yeah, I think that auditorium will be gorgeous when it's done! I can't wait to see it all come back to life too.

3. Default Re: Page Woodson School

A look inside the auditorium.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PW.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	12642

Making good progress on the renovation and new building on the east side (photo credit Erik Gransberg):

Moving quickly now:

HangryHippo Guest

I don't love it... Where's the creativity?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    Ill take dense over creative any day. That being said... could stand to be a bit more dense.

Yeah, I sure hope the exterior finishes aren't going to be built as depicted... because honestly, there's no character, no interesting features, just... blandness. The density is very, very welcome to this area, and I have high hopes that this entire project will jumpstart the revitalization of this neighborhood... but I would think we could do better to increase the curb appeal of these units.

It's great to see they are reconnecting the street grid here. As it is today, the best route into or out of dt would be 4th street and the only way to get there is to take 6th to Lincoln or Lottie, then south to 4th, or take 5th to Lottie.

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    It's great to see they are reconnecting the street grid here. As it is today, the best route into or out of dt would be 4th street and the only way to get there is to take 6th to Lincoln or Lottie, then south to 4th, or take 5th to Lottie.
    Right, as it is, it's a big confusing and difficult to get in and out of this immediate area.

Easiest way is to take 8th st to Stonewall and turn south

I'd really like some developers to see all the open area surrounding the school and in the general neighborhood and just sweep in and start developing that entire area. Density is key to this area. And I'd greatly prefer multifamily housing over just typical houses. But, I do agree, character is a bit lacking. But if this can spur redevelopment, have at it!

This is such a great project. These new builds look beautiful and the old school is great.

Even though this is a rent-restricted property, I'd live here in a heartbeat.

Block 5 - the new builds being discussed just north of the school building - is not rent-restricted, as near as I can tell. If I'm understanding correctly, those units will be market rate. Block 3, immediately south of the school building, will also be market rate. The remaining blocks that they are developing will be affordable housing in one form or another.

That's great. Do you know what they're calling market-rate?

I apologize if this was discussed before, but is this standard 40/60 set-aside or is there any extremely low-income targeting? I know it's just a 4% bond deal so probably not.

Might not be much difference between the rent-restricted and market-rate rents.

They've put in most the new windows, including the entire west side (first photo).

Last photo is the new building to the right of the existing structure.

Man, what a change... that's looking super sharp!

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Man, what a change... that's looking super sharp!
    +1

That whole area is beautiful and has so much potential.

Sits up on a hill overlooking downtown and less than a mile away.

And of course, the HSC is directly north.

My office used to be a half-mile north of Page Woodson, so I'm quite familiar with that neighborhood... There is just so much potential here, especially considering how many empty lots there are between NE 8th and the railroad tracks. I know a few LLCs have slowly been buying up those empty lots - my assumption is preparing for the inevitable revival. And the location is stunning... Especially once the area is built up again, the top floors of Page Woodson are going to have a spectacular view of downtown.

Building permits filed today for the next phase of this project, which would be new construction due north.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This is about as creative as Oklahoma City gets . It usually just bulldozes historical buildings for big glass phallic buildings.

Yeah and it's weird. Omaha has awesome architecture. So does Boise, ID.

It's changing for the better though! 21c is bad ass as is GE and the new apartments at Classen and 16th should look good.

Thread Information