Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portland Power Center

Far North Portland Power Center

This property was recently purchased and is in the process of being rezoned for "commercial/office development".

The title of the application is "Portland Power Center"; a power center is typically a big-box retail development with some out parcels.

Not sure what businesses might be going in here, but I'm sure they are working on that. It's a great location at the intersection of Portland and NW 178th/Edmond Road.

Default Re: Portland Power Center

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This property was recently purchased and is in the process of being rezoned for "commercial/office development".

The title of the application is "Portland Power Center"; a power center is typically a big-box retail development with some out parcels.

Not sure what businesses might be going in here, but I'm sure they are working on that. It's a great location at the intersection of Portland and NW 178th/Edmond Road.

A new crest fresh market would wreck it here!

It might take a while, but there will be a day where we regret not making OK-74 limited access all the way up to Waterloo.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    It might take a while, but there will be a day where we regret not making OK-74 limited access all the way up to Waterloo.
    They’re eventually going to do that but need the money first.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Its significantly harder to do that once businesses start building in the corridor though.

That was going to be my comment as well. I hope they have enough protected land on one side of that road or the other so that when they inevitably do decide they need to extend the highway north that it's ready to go.

I'm not for overbuilding when it comes to highways but that is the one corridor that I can see a coming necessity. Too much development going on throughout that part of the county to rely only on grid roads in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Its significantly harder to do that once businesses start building in the corridor though.
    They have sufficient ROW.

I drove that section last week and made a mental note that it appeared the land had been graded for overpasses and limited access already.

Quote Originally Posted by gqandy405 View Post
    A new crest fresh market would wreck it here!
    Absolutely - the number of homes going up along Portland and to the west would easily fill that parking lot up with customers. Hope they are considering this area for future location.

Same goes to the eventual Covell Crest - I Hope they start that location soon as I plan to move that way in the coming few years,

I just learned the owner of this property has put out for bid a 7,000 square foot brick building on this site.

For perspective, Crest is usually about 90,000, Aldi about 12,000, Walmart Neighborhood Market 43,000 and Sprouts 29,000.

Walgreens/CVS is usually around 14,000 SF.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    From what I remember when it all went down, ODOT had originally wanted it to be limited access all the way up but didn't have the money and decided to make it how it is now, and just like Northwest Expressway out to the turnpike. I don't think there are any more plans to make it limited access. I could be wrong, but I just seem to remember the hoopla around the current way it was done and it was sold as what-you-see-is-what-you-get. If you look at google maps and follow the right-of-way from the turnpike north, it narrows significantly as you go north of 178th. ODOT would have to sacrifice those wide areas of grass between the service roads and the highway like they have to the south of there. As it is now, it's no better than driving May Avenue to the east because it never fails, I almost stop at every single light along the way up and along the way back to Waterloo. It's only wider and has large shoulders. But yes, a missed opportunity indeed with all that growth out there. Absurd, really.

So, when I was driving north last week and sitting at those lights, it looked to me that (at least up to 194th) the land had been graded in such a way that the section line roads could be elevated over the highway pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Agreed. It’s such a disaster (not to mention, just plain dangerous) that highways like NW Expressway have so many curb cuts.

I guess now the speculation is what Big Box Store(s) would build?

Lowes? Home Depot? Walmart SuperCenter? Target? Crest? Homeland?

Given the location at the edge of OKC City Limits, I don't know if that plays any factor in that there won't be a lot of new resident density to the north and west of this location. The median income and population density to the south and east of this is quite high compared to some other strip centers across the metro. However, whatever is built should be welcomed to provide an alternative to a packed out Penn/Memorial corridor.

New to market would be awesome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 7.24.29 PM.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	17278

From the proposed Plat of land, and in reference to Right Of Way expansion from Portland. It appears this power center will have an entrance from 178th st and connect to the existing entrance to The Grove sub division entrance from Portland. It also appears that some houses in The Grove will back right up to this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 7.24.29 PM.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	17277  

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    I guess now the speculation is what Big Box Store(s) would build?

Lowes? Home Depot? Walmart SuperCenter? Target? Crest? Homeland?

Given the location at the edge of OKC City Limits, I don't know if that plays any factor in that there won't be a lot of new resident density to the north and west of this location. The median income and population density to the south and east of this is quite high compared to some other strip centers across the metro. However, whatever is built should be welcomed to provide an alternative to a packed out Penn/Memorial corridor.
    Not arguing, but I thought the bordering areas of Piedmont and Deer Creek were both very fast growing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Not arguing, but I thought the bordering areas of Piedmont and Deer Creek were both very fast growing?
    Yeah, at the moment it's on the outskirts of the denser subdivisions but given that there's basically no barriers to continued development in the area with regards to terrain and the road network, I wouldn't expect that to be the case for too much longer...especially given that Paycom shows no signs of slowing down its expansion, which I have to believe is a major driver of growth in this corner of the Metro.

Currently everything north of 164 and west of Portland is mostly out of city limits so as it stands probably won’t develop at as dense as it will likely be larger lot communities but that can quickly change

Given the ROW preserved there should be enough room for an 8-10 freeway let alone a 4 lane facility. This is the one road I see in Oklahoma where sufficient ROW is preserved for a freeway conversion.

just a point of clarification (not saying you don't know this) deer creek is not really an area .. just a school district ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    just a point of clarification (not saying you don't know this) deer creek is not really an area .. just a school district ..
    Yes. And I see the fast growing and affluent "white flight" district of Deer Creek (plus Piedmont-city and schools) as a prime area for explosive growth.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Oklahoma County is divided into 20 survey townships and the northwestern-most township (6x6 sq miles) is called Deer Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    Oklahoma County is divided into 20 survey townships and the northwestern-most township (6x6 sq miles) is called Deer Creek.
    which is not a city .. .and thus has no city government .. which is another draw .... living in oklahoma county but without city rules ..

This is probably a subject for a different thread. But it's obvious that dense development (of the variety that exists a couple miles east) is about to spill across the highway into the traditional Deer Creek area. The OKC metro doesn't have widespread examples of this level of residential and commercial development occurring in unincorporated areas. I wonder if there will be a move on the part of traditional Deer Creek denizens to incorporate and thus, set up some rules governing development.

This happened in suburban St. Louis with the town of Wildwood. People that had been used to more of a country feel wanted to protect their area by mandating larger lot sizes, more stringent rules regarding clear-cutting of land, less commercial development etc. So Wildwood was born and it has kept that area more rural even as they have selectively allowed neighborhoods in some areas. It's also driven up home values.

Thread Information