Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart

Default Re: Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by ThomPaine View Post
    Just because it is a profitable company, doesn't make it a good company.

Wal-Mart?s newest scheme to ruin the middle class - Salon.com
    I caught the Walmart CEO on CNBC last week hyping this program while at his Orlando manufacturing summit. If that guy believes half of what he says he is borderline insane, but I suspect he personally doesn't believe it, he just puts it out there for the people who will believe it.

Let me give you an example just in case you think I am concerned for no reason.

Last week he talked about how his stores are great for jobs and has been one of the brightest spots in the recovery. Then he talked about how much Walmart was investing technology at the stores and how it would increase productivity. Both sound great - lots of good jobs and upgrading the technology to increase productivity. The problem is, the technology he is talking about is going to replace the jobs he was talking about.

Then he talk about how we need to rebuild the middle class, as if Walmart was going to lead the way in that. But when asked about the minimum wage he didn't say he was against increasing it but he sure didn't support the idea. Then in defending his own companies low wages he said every one needs a place to start. Well which is, does Walmart (the great job creator in the recovery) support low wage jobs or rebuilding the middle class - because you can't do both at the same time when you are the largest employer in 33 states.

CNBC Exclusive: CNBC Transcript: Wal-Mart CEO Mike Duke Speaks One-on-One with Maria Bartiromo Today

This is precisely why I spend no money in Wal-Mart. I look for every conceivable alternative. The only thing that will change Wal-Mart is if they begin losing market share. My family are all middle-class, working folk who are Democrats. And yet, I have to remind them constantly that they are supporting this third-world approach to business every time they ring a cash register at Sam's or Wal-Mart. I don't look down on people who shop there; that is the wrong approach. I just think there are alternatives, Crest, etc. that people can patronize as an alternative. As discussed, Target and others aren't much better than Wal-Mart, but Wal-Mart is the leader. They need to feel the pain and understand that people who have a choice refuse to support their approach to doing business.

I've developed a detente attitude regarding Wally World. I strive to (a) not step foot in their store and (b) not have kittens if someone else in the family does go by. I don't even hate them. I just see no productive reason to walk a 1/4 mile or more just to get some basic items. If I wanna take a stroll, I'll do it where there happens to be grass and trees rather than asphalt tile and really funky dressed folk.

(the above doesn't apply to runs made at 2-3 am. Those trips can be so down right entertaining I almost feel i should donate a cover charge.)

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I've developed a detente attitude regarding Wally World. I strive to (a) not step foot in their store and (b) not have kittens if someone else in the family does go by. I don't even hate them. I just see no productive reason to walk a 1/4 mile or more just to get some basic items. If I wanna take a stroll, I'll do it where there happens to be grass and trees rather than asphalt tile and really funky dressed folk.

(the above doesn't apply to runs made at 2-3 am. Those trips can be so down right entertaining I almost feel i should donate a cover charge.)
    LOL Isn't that the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post

It's a further good time, if they're threw stocking shelves or doing floor maintenance by then.

New produce line

Wal-Mart and Wild Oats unveil cheaper organic line

NEW YORK (AP) -- Wal-Mart is using its massive size to drive down the price of organic food items from tomato paste to chicken broth to make them more affordable for its low-income customers.

The world's largest retailer and nation's largest grocery seller said Thursday that it has teamed up with Wild Oats to sell a new line of organic foods, starting this month, that's at least 25 percent cheaper than the national organic brands it carries and in line with the prices of its branded non-organic alternatives. Wild Oats helped pioneer the organic food trend in the late 1980s but has largely disappeared from store shelves since 2007.

Wild Oats' 6-ounce can of tomato paste, for example, is priced at 58 cents, compared with 98 cents for a national-brand organic version. And a 32-ounce can of chicken broth under Wild Oats is priced at $1.98, compared with the $3.47 for a national-brand alternative, according to the discounter's survey of 26 nationally branded organic products available at Walmart.com.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is unveiling nearly 100 pantry items under the Wild Oats label over the next several months, adding to the 1,600 organic food items it already carries. It's taking a cautious approach, planning to have them in about half of its 4,000 domestic namesake stores to make sure it can satisfy demand. The Bentonville, Ark., company will be the exclusive national retailer of Wild Oats.

"We are removing the premium associated with organic groceries," Jack Sinclair, Wal-Mart's executive vice president of grocery, told reporters during a conference call Wednesday.

Wal-Mart and other mainstream stores are eagerly trying to stake a bigger claim in the hot organic market as they see shoppers from all different income levels wanting to eat healthier. Analysts believe that Wal-Mart's strategy could put more pressure on companies like Whole Foods to lower prices. Sinclair declined to comment on how big Wal-Mart's organic business is, but he says sales of organic food are growing more quickly than nearly every category of non-organic food items. Still, high prices have kept a lid on that growth.

- http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wal-ma...040219264.html

12. Default Re: Walmart

Don't know about other places in the country but the one at my local Wal Mart is put on by the SEIU . It's not even Wal Mart employees protesting.

South OKC Walmart SW 104th

Walmart is set to open yet another Super Center in the Oklahoma City area, this time at SW 104th and Interstate 44.

The store would be 186,933 square feet and included an 8-pump service station in a separate facility along the 104th street frontage.

Default Re: Walmart SW 104th

As if OKC doesn't have enough Walmart's

This will help ease some of the congestion I've heard about at the I-240 location and have seen at the Moore location.
    Not sure why I can sometimes find granddaughter toys at Moore and not Norman, but when your princess doesn't want to let it go, you don't let it go. You drive.

I would much rather have a Target in that area. But what can you do??

They are probably specifically targeting the S 104th and May Crest. It won't surprise me if this is the end for the Homeland a couple of miles over on Penn.

18. Default Re: Walmart SW 104th

I have a coworker who lives near SW 89th & May. She says that she drives up to the I-40 & MacArthur location because the I-240 location is such a dump. Hopefully, this one will stay nice (for a Walmart). Maybe being so close to the City's nicest Crest will force them to keep the store up. Maybe I'm being too optimistic about Walmart. Maybe I'm just looking for something positive about another Walmart coming. Maybe I'm amazed at the way you love me all the time.

But I wonder though will they keep the Newcastle store open or will they close it and relocate to the new store??

We will drive right by it on our way to Crest. Happy to see development because will spur more but sure wish it was a Target
    Last edited by Jeepnokc; 01-10-2015 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typo

Pete:

Is this a sure thing to point that land has been purchased?

No, land has not been sold as of yet.

Remember, the City of OKC owns all the property on the the other side of I-44 between 104th and 89th.

Don't know if this will help or hurt their stated plans to develop that into commercial property and generate revenue for the airport.

I mean I'll probably continue to shop at the Mustang Walmart, but still I probably will go here more than the 240 one. As much as people dislike Walmart people have been wanting development over there for awhile, and for better or worse Walmart usually spurs development.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Remember, the City of OKC owns all the property on the the other side of I-44 between 104th and 89th.

Don't know if this will help or hurt their stated plans to develop that into commercial property and generate revenue for the airport.
    I am speculating help as it pulls more traffic into the area. Be nice if Target would go into airport development and we ended up with something similar to Fritts Farm area. The area just north of this WM site is also empty and they have built a service road running south from 89th that dead ends into cul de sac. I think it is private and put in by the land owner.

Thread Information