Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 141 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151661111 ... LastLast

Thread: OG&E Tower

Default Re: Stage Center Tower

Is the protest the two people standing on the lawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    Is the protest the two people standing on the lawn?
    Naaaaa, there are a few ants on the ground if you look closely and I believe a fly is in the vicinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Naaaaa, there are a few ants on the ground if you look closely and I believe a fly is in the vicinity.
    Ohhh, my bad. I see it now. Looks like they had a pretty good showing. Them ants & that fly are real difference makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    Ohhh, my bad. I see it now. Looks like they had a pretty good showing. Them ants & that fly are real difference makers.
    I'm telling ya man, don't mess with the ants lol

One second you're having a nice picnic next to your Phantom and the BOOOOOM it's gone

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Actually those insects are currently eating away at the Stage Center. They could care less about saving an iconic landmark, its all a meal to them.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Actually those insects are currently eating away at the Stage Center. They could care less about saving an iconic landmark, its all a meal to them.
    Uh oh. This is getting dramatic.

Question is, will they allow it to be demolished?

The outcry to save the Stage Center is tremendous. My question is why wasn't there such an effort before possible demolition was announced? I can definitely see the perspective of the preservationists. In the 1970s, I am sure they thought Criterion Theater was outdated and an eyesore but today most OKCitians wish it was still standing and if it was here today, it would likely be one of the city's greatest assets. It needs to be evaluated if the Stage Center is the same kind of structure and what should be done with it. Why wouldn't it be possible to instead of demolish it, dismantle it?

I've always wondered, if it could be saved, why the Stage Center couldn't become the live music venue OKC has been needing.
    Good question. I suspect it has to do with the fact that until it became a real deal, as it did yesterday, the people with strong emotional feelings about this could go on about their lives. There was a serious effort by local architects to save it, but they were NOT aided by Oklahoma City Community Foundation. Once this sale was announced, suddenly these folks' passions were stirred, and they are significant.

I'm actually a bit shocked to find out some of the names of the people at OCCF who were willing to sell out our city's most renowned architectural achievement. Some of these people are serious arts and cultural stakeholders.

I was at H&8th tonight (which was utterly smashing, btw), and it was the talk of the town. I think this is going to be a very big deal.

Oklahoma City has a terrible record of preserving its iconic buildings. It's hard to imagine what was going through the mind of the people at OCCF when they voted to sell this. We have acres upon acres of empty and underutilized lots on which we could place a skyscraper. That they chose this location is quite stunning -- and if memory serves correctly, Larry Nichols was an advocate of building on this site. It's going to get very interesting.

To answer your question, there was an effort to save this building, but it was launched by architects. And the six-month extension provided by OCCF for ARCHITECTS to find a buyer was a bit silly. This is not something architects are skilled at doing. Also, the flooding problems, while an impediment, could be fixed. I'm starting to see the arguments for tearing this building down as BS.

Yeah I knew the Stage Center wouldn't go down without a fight. I honestly will not be surprised if this entire deal falls through before its all said and done. I will actually be surprised if it doesn't.

A grave mistake was made by announcing this before having a set plan. Those involved should have known better and greatly underestimated the people of OKC's attachment to this piece of architecture.

My only hope is that if the preservationists manage to get this project halted/cancelled, that the Stage Center will be put to good use instead of simply sitting vacant.

The is a pretty smart move if you ask me. If the preservation crowd gets enough money together they can buy it and the new owner turns a small profit then buys another lot. If he builds it and OG&E moves in, what are people going to do - stop shopping at OG&E? Complain to much and people might find out what those smart meters are capable of doing .

A grave mistake was made by announcing this before having a set plan.
    Do you have inside knowledge about not having a set plan?

Steve's latest comments about this:

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/3866542?embargo=1

More than four decades ago, city fathers decided to level a block of old buildings to make way for a modern theater.

That theater, first known as Mummers Theater and later as Stage Center, has provided generations of Oklahomans with great memories of musicals and plays, amazed visitors with its unusual design, but also was a troubled building from the very start.
    Consider that decades before Devon Energy Center was built, the historic Warner Theatre stood on that site. The Huckins Hotel stood where Continental Resources tower now stands. Other proud old buildings were torn down to make way for what is now the SandRidge Building, Chase Tower (also known as Cotter Ranch Tower), BOK Plaza, Leadership Square, Oklahoma and Corporate Towers.

Oklahoma City's skyline is built on the graves of older buildings, many of them far more beloved than Stage Center, though none of them as internationally acclaimed as the quirky landmark.
    The old home of Carpenter Square theater on the southwest corner of Main and Hudson features a beautiful colored mosaic tile facade. Originally the home of Bishop's Department Store decades ago, one can dream up the restoration of the building's jewel box glass storefront displays where the plywood now stands.

That building, a vintage mid-rise “auto hotel” garage and other early to mid-20th century buildings on the block may be next on the list of buildings to be torn down to make way for yet another tower.
    Also, a short biography of Rainey Williams by Steve:

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-high...rticle/3866492

Yeah I knew the Stage Center wouldn't go down without a fight. I honestly will not be surprised if this entire deal falls through before its all said and done. I will actually be surprised if it doesn't.

A grave mistake was made by announcing this before having a set plan. Those involved should have known better and greatly underestimated the people of OKC's attachment to this piece of architecture.

My only hope is that if the preservationists manage to get this project halted/cancelled, that the Stage Center will be put to good use instead of simply sitting vacant.
    If you had been here when Sandridge rampaged through their campus you would understand that this is a none issue.i was upset about a few of the buildings on SDs campus being knocked down but don't give a crap about this. It's not urban, it's only bordered on functionality a few times at any point in its existence, and in a few months, there will be a solid building proposal on the table. Not a done deal yet, but if SD replace several very historic buildings with nothing, anything is possible.

Based on the comments and speculations of others over the past 24 hours, I see two possible paths emerging for the development of the SC tower.

These two paths are based on the notion that Rainey Williams (RW) wants and expects that the new energy MLP company will headquarter in OKC, but that Houston is still in the running. Not knowing for
    certain which outcome will happen, RW has hedged his bets by gaining pledges from local companies that they will lease space in the new tower -- in particular, one prominent company that will agree to step in as the anchor tenant if the MLP HQ is not awarded to OKC.

In the first scenario, we get the new MLP HQ, and this new company is the anchor tenant. It's essentially their building, although additional office space is leased for local companies as well. This allows for growth of the MLP into more office space over time in the same tower. This is the golden scenario because this gives us the 35-40 (or more) story tower that reaches 700+ feet and really provides a dramatic addition to the skyline.

In the second scenario, we lose the MLP HQ to Houston. Not as desirable, but RW has the assurance from a local company to act as the anchor tenant in this situation. Combined with other local businesses that have been contacted for leasing contracts, this gives us the 20 story tower (or possibly a little bit higher, but not much). This less enchanting, but still solid project provides the baseline outcome.

It is presumably because of the confidence that RW has that both possibilities are covered that he could make the purchase. The OKC Community Foundation needed to be very, very sure that a solid development plan was in place before agreeing to sell the property. Their agreement to sell speaks loudly about their confidence that RW will come through one way or another. And it explains why the 20 story figure is being initially touted -- this much RW can guarantee. But hopefully, if the new MLP HQ comes through, then much more.

This all sounds very plausible to me. What it does make me wonder, though, is who exactly is the local company willing to step up and be the anchor tenant should the second scenario come to play?

So let's look at who would agree to be the anchor tenant should we lose the MLP to Houston.

1. OG&E:
    Perfectly logical since they're already in this deeply, with Enogex being their own offshoot. We know that they need a new HQ themselves, so by agreeing to lease huge blocks of space in the new tower, they can ease their own overcrowding problem and pursue their ultimate goal of a separate HQ building at a more leisurely pace. By the time it becomes necessary for them to build a new building for themselves, their space at the SC tower could be gradually taken over by other growing local businesses.

One trouble with this idea is that OG&E may very well decide to stay out the limelight and not be known as the primary enabler of the Stage Center's demolition. Too controversial and high profile for them, as many have suggested.

2. Continental:
    Presumably they're growing like crazy at the moment and are getting cramped already in their current downtown building. So we all assume that they will want their own HQ at some point down the road. Leasing lots of space in the SC tower could ease that burden, providing them with a stop gap until they end up building a tower of their own.

Unfortunately, this won't provide any relief for them until the SC tower is done, which could be another 3 years. They may not have the luxury of making a big commitment this far in advance when their own situation is evolving so quickly. Doesn't mean they still might not be interested in leasing some space in the SC tower, just not as the anchor.

3. Devon:
    This is perfectly logical. I would imagine that Larry Nichols is a huge supporter of what Rainey Williams is doing and would be willing to help. And Devon might very well need the space anyway -- for themselves, or their own MLP, or both. I could see Devon agreeing to essentially "featherbed" the project by agreeing to lease all kinds of space, even if they didn't really need it, just to help the project succeed.

I like this possibility the most, as in the most realistic. But how realistic I don't know.

4. MidFirst:
    After, Patrick's recent comments on this board, I have to throw MF into the hat. Perhaps they are still looking to dive into a downtown presence, and this would be a more expedient path to that goal rather than trying to build a new tower themselves. Who knows.

5. ???

Hopefully, though, this won't come to pass and we won't need any of those companies to fill the gap. Definitely hoping for the golden first scenario that yields the 700 ft tower.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    It's hard to imagine what was going through the mind of the people at OCCF when they voted to sell this.
    I believe it's more than just the 4 and a quarter million reasons, it's probably the resources it would take to correct the issues with the building, plus the under utilization. My hope is they can keep a portion of it and incorporate it into their new tower..

16. Default Re: Stage Center Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    4. MidFirst:
    After, Patrick's recent comments on this board, I have to throw MF into the hat. Perhaps they are still looking to dive into a downtown presence, and this would be a more expedient path to that goal rather than trying to build a new tower themselves. Who knows.
    Although MF does need room to expand(they've offered to buy 2 of CHK's buildings near them, which CHK was not willing to sell at this time), I can't see them being a tenant in the new SC tower for 2 reasons: 1)Jeff Records likes his office to be close to his home, and 2)He is a buyer, not a renter.

I hate to say it, but I know architects who are not as attached to the SC as one would seem to think, so although the AIA got the extension and is the professional association for architects, one can't assume that "every" architect is for saving the SC, especially considering the greater good that may come if it were gone. It's a stereotype. That being said, it is true those that are passionate about saving it will be extremely vocal, others may like to see it preserved, but understand that the building has had more chances than Morris the cat, and the impact of a potential new tower possibly housing a new HQ far outweigh hanging into a controversial building.

The SC is a different animal than say the Gold Dome. From what I gather, the "general public" as well as preservationists and the architectural community has an affinity for the GD for many reasons, so it has been essentially saved twice with the 2nd time coming from free enterprise with a local company stepping up who wants to renovate it and move into the iconic landmark that needs no address. The SC is not even close to that level of recognition because the "general public" has pretty much despised the facility since day 1. Therefore, free enterprise has not stepped up over the last few years. I suppose that could change now that the clock is officially ticking, maybe someone comes in and make Rainey Williams a profitable offer and he sells and turns around and buys another site in which to place this tower, but I highly doubt that will be the case. The SC is only a landmark to a small segment of the community.

More than likely, this office tower will end up being 30 stories 500,000 - 600,000 square feet, most spec office towers across the country going up now are being financed about that size. This size will be large enough to house OG&E/Enogex employees.

It's not a lack of interest in SC that will permit its demolition. It's a lack of interest by people with double digit millions of funding to salvage it after years of damage and/or neglect. I once opined if I hit a mega millions lotto there would be anti-SC folks who would really hate me. When there is that much money laying there available, one actually can have more money than sense and can do something strictly to do it.

Conversely, the thought of grabbing up others and trying to raise that level of funding holds no interest to me at all. That is time that can go to grandbabies, children, friends and relatives and helping others who need help. So yeah, I was rotting for the children's museum folks, the only real effort I ever saw, but I wasn't signing up to make calls, knock doors or mail in checks.

I have some good memories from times at SC. I'll learn to be content with those and wish for the best with whatever happens to the property next.
    Last edited by kevinpate; 07-27-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: wrongfreaking.word.

I don't understand why they couldn't at least announce the architect, Steve mentioned in the video that the tower is currently under design. Knowing the architect would of told us a lot of what type of office tower we are getting.

I think this was a smart move... All of this outrage will not be on the future owner/tenant. OGE (or whoever) can come in with an amazing proposal that integrates parts of the SC. And be the superhero.

"There's no money for the Stage Center!"

But there's always money for sports, always money in "incentives", there's always money - it's what you choose to spend it on.

Just take a few minutes and really look at what we're losing. Nobody likes every building, but this is history and something that gave Oklahoma City a different image in the minds of strangers. It's always pointed out by visitors. "You don't expect to see this in Oklahoma!"

Like any art, even architecture, it's love it, or hate it. It should still stand to love or hate. It's known by many worldwide. Taken for granted around here? Absolutely.

There's LOTS of places to build a new tower. On top of Johansen's masterpiece should not be one of them.

Before it lies in a pile of rubble, please, take a few minutes...especially the short 9 minute film with Johansen and a look inside Stage Center.....at least say goodbye.

Iconic Stage Center by John M. Johansen

Saving Johansen’s Stage Center | News | Architectural Record

Stage Center Theater - Preservation OKC

Mummers-Theater_from Johansen Official Site

MUMMERS THEATER

Stage Center, Oklahoma City | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

About the Mummers Theater

A/N Blog . Dispute Could Doom John Johansen?s Iconic Mummers Theater

I hope the new office tower is all glass, and pushed to the street.

Thread Information