Widgets Magazine
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 192021222324

Thread: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    There was a playoff system "expert" on the radio a couple of days ago. He said there is a list of criteria for the committee to go by. If he's correct not only strength of schedule will considered but intended strength of schedule. For instance, if OU schedules Florida St. this year for a home-and-home to be played five years from now OU would get credit for scheduling a current National Champion even if Florida State falls on their face in five years.
    The strength of schedule should be weight over time, perhaps over a 5 to 10 year time period....with more weight given to the programs choice of non-conference opponents.

When you schedule teams like Alabama, ND and Ohio State like OU has done 5 and 10 years in advance you shouldn't be punished if they have fallen on hard times by the time you play them. When you schedule tough teams with regularity it shows intentions to not hide.

A program that continually schedules weak weak non-conference teams in most years like Baylor does (Baylor played Wofford, Buffalo, Louisiana-Monroe this year) should not be rewarded as much as programs who play a tougher non-conference schedule year after year.
    Better games are good for the game / fans and it reduces the odds of coaches hiding behind weak scheduling philosophy's.

Someone explain this to me...

Isn't it also next season that whomever from the Big XII & SEC conferences that don't end up in the playoffs will play in some kind of extra bowl game that will be new next year between the two conferences (like a which conference is mightier than the other based on this one game type game)? After that the usual pecking order proceeds with bowl alignments.

Blog Entries

All of this talk about strength of schedule and scheduling in advance isn't going to amount to a hill of beans.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ... as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Someone explain this to me...

Isn't it also next season that whomever from the Big XII & SEC conferences that don't end up in the playoffs will play in some kind of extra bowl game that will be new next year between the two conferences (like a which conference is mightier than the other based on this one game type game)? After that the usual pecking order proceeds with bowl alignments.
    That was going to be the Champions Bowl. I believe that idea died and we are now just using the Sugar Bowl (instead of the Fiesta Bowl).

I didn't pay attention this bowl season, but was there ever any announcement that said something like:

" these are the 4 teams (this year) that would be in the playoff (next season) according to the system we will be using next year" ?

And the other teams in the "big" bowl games?

Generally I'm a fan of the playoff, especially with the outcomes of the BCS bowl games this season, with the underdogs prevailing often.

But it sounds like the Utahs and the Boise State types of teams will have little shot at making it into the playoffs going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    That was going to be the Champions Bowl. I believe that idea died and we are now just using the Sugar Bowl (instead of the Fiesta Bowl).
    You're correct.

Sugar Bowl in New Orleans to be site of marquee Big 12-SEC game - ESPN

The game will take the name of the Allstate Sugar Bowl as the "Champions Bowl" name was just a temporary placeholder.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    So................................. even though the BCS is now done and over with, won't they still use the four sites and names Rose, Fiesta, Sugar and Orange Bowls for the playoff games and with that will the Sugar Bowl now be host to two post season games? That being one playoff game to determine a future national champion and then one other game--that being the site of the marquee Big 12-SEC game? Lucky New Orleans for all that post season football.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    So................................. even though the BCS is now done and over with, won't they still use the four sites and names Rose, Fiesta, Sugar and Orange Bowls for the playoff games and with that will the Sugar Bowl now be host to two post season games? That being one playoff game to determine a future national champion and then one other game--that being the site of the marquee Big 12-SEC game? Lucky New Orleans for all that post season football.
    There are now 6 big bowls now in the new system. Orange sugar rose and fiesta. Plus the cotton and peach(old chick fil a) were bumped up.

2 of the 6 will be semi finals each year. (Sugar and rose next season)

In the years that the sugar is not a semi final. In. Will feature sec vs big 12 period. So 2 out of three years. But not next year

The rose is big vs PAC in 2/3 years. And the orange is acc vs nd/big/sec in 2/3 years. The other 3 bowls are filled by the playoff committee. From the teams not in the final 4. Including the highest ranking team from the group of 5 non power confs

^^that makes a little more sense but still seems somewhat confusing in your explanation--which is not your fault. I'm visual. It'll take the experience of it happening for me to get used to the format ;-) Thanks for the info!

I will also note that the national championship game is separate from the 6 big bowls and is now bid year to year like the super bowl. Dallas years 1. Tampa year 2 Phoenix(Glendale) year 3

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    I will also note that the national championship game is separate from the 6 big bowls and is now bid year to year like the super bowl. Dallas years 1. Tampa year 2 Phoenix(Glendale) year 3
    Right. I figured it would rotate, kinda like how the the March Madness basketball Final Four location is.

12. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

In 5 years, probably sooner, we'll realize that more than 4 teams are needed for a real playoff and they'll go back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Hardly. And I think boulder was giving a back handed compliment. If we collapsed and still had a good season then Id say things are looking pretty good.
    Before Justin Gilbert's dropped interception the OSU program was ahead of OU. We were hot. Just the momentum of the program. Things aren't bad but they aren't as good as they were, before that one play. I'm a realist and the reality is that after how this year ended, which was a year that we had everything lined up for us, we are now solidly back to playing second fiddle in our state. It's a sobering reality after how fun it was to out-perform a program like OU for a good while.

I have an uncanny ability to sense when OU is overrated and about ready to flop, whether it's a particular academic program, or athletic program. Truth be told, I sense that they're going to make a run for the football playoff next year. It will take us 2-3 years to get back up on OU, and that stinks after how well things were going. Damn you Yurcich. If he sticks around, it might take us longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Before Justin Gilbert's dropped interception the OSU program was ahead of OU. We were hot. Just the momentum of the program. Things aren't bad but they aren't as good as they were, before that one play. I'm a realist and the reality is that after how this year ended, which was a year that we had everything lined up for us, we are now solidly back to playing second fiddle in our state. It's a sobering reality after how fun it was to out-perform a program like OU for a good while.
    Lol. OSU is 1-10 against OU in the last 11 years with 1 Big 12 championship. OU is 10-1 against OSU in the last 11 years with 6 Big 12 titles. We're all waiting for your methodology...

I don't have a beef with OSU and their program has made amazing progress in the last 10-15 years, but you can't just throw absurd comments out there without backing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    In 5 years, probably sooner, we'll realize that more than 4 teams are needed for a real playoff and they'll go back to the drawing board.
    The playoff will eventually be 8 teams I bet. You could easily have a team ranked 5th by the committee that has a legitimate case to be 1 or 2, but you're never really going to have a team rank 9th that had a legitimate beef. 6 would work also with byes for teams 1 and 2. I also think teams should have home field in the first round. That'll reward a team for going 12-0 in the regular season over the 11-1 or 10-2 teams.

These are interesting comments by the Alabama quarterback. I remember hearing similar comments about OU players in the past.

AJ McCarron blames Alabama?s failures on Alabama?s past success | CollegeFootballTalk

“We had a lot of young guys,” McCarron told The Jim Rome Show on Thursday at the Super Bowl’s radio row. “In the end, success was our killer. Too much success and a lot of young guys coming in who didn’t know what it took to get back to that point to win. They thought we’d just show up and we’d win.”
    I think that has something to do with why no team ever dominates forever. They end up becoming complacent and lose the edge they had.

He had some additional very pertinent and astute comments.

Is McCarron throwing his team under the bus? McCarron accepted the blame for Alabama’s Sugar Bowl loss in the postgame press conference at the time, but his more recent comments may shed some more truth than anything McCarron has said before. McCarron also took swipes at various recruiting services, who McCarron labeled as guys who never played football.

“You have guys who have never played the game of football rating these guys that they are a 5-star, because they’re sitting behind a computer screen watching their highlight film. Well, their highlight film is supposed to be good, the last time I checked. That’s the kind of thing that ticks me off about recruiting and when these kids come in, and they’re 5-stars and they expect to play right off the bat. It’s a little entitlement and when they don’t play off the bat, they get a little ticked off and they don’t want to work.”

Yep, it sounds familiar and not just from OU or Bama. Every team that is at the top for awhile seems to face complacency when they recruit top players who have never been challenged in jr. high or high school. They don't seem to know how to work, that is why someone with exceptional talent AND work ethic is a special player. You have to have a blend of exceptional talent and grinder who will give those guys a swift kick in the rear if they go off the rails.

I came across this by accident and thought it was hilarious.

Did anyone go to the OU spring game yesterday? How did they look? I had to give my tickets away due to volunteer obligations so missed it.

Thread Information