Information & Latest News

1/21/14: $20 million building permit
    1/21/14: $7.6 million building permit
    8/13/13: Design application
    6/18/13: Metropolitan set to begin
    Links

County Assessor Record
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metropolitan2.jpg 
Views:	1211 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	4153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metropolitan3.jpg 
Views:	907 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	4154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metropolitan5.jpg 
Views:	1137 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	4436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metropolitan4.jpg 
Views:	992 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	4435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metropolitan6.jpg 
Views:	917 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	4437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metropolitan7.jpg 
Views:	811 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	4438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metropolitan8.jpg 
Views:	743 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	4439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metropolitan9.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	4440  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metropolitan10.jpg 
Views:	711 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	4441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metropolitan11.jpg 
Views:	717 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	4442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metropolitannew.jpg 
Views:	1208 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	8009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metropolitannew1.jpg 
Views:	1249 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	8010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metropolitannew2.jpg 
Views:	1193 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	8011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metropolitannew3.jpg 
Views:	1170 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	8012  

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: 8th & Oklahoma

What happened to the planned Panera? I thought it was getting pretty close to starting construction. What exactly are you hearing regarding the hotel?

Possibly another Hilton Garden Suites.

Not sure about Panera other than it sounds like corporate may have killed it late in the process.

interesting ..

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Possibly another Hilton Garden Suites.

Not sure about Panera other than it sounds like corporate may have killed it late in the process.
    This is what I heard, too. Starbucks sounded like a close to done deal though.

Which is funny, because Starbucks has one in LB and if there is one thing the core doesn't lack, it's coffee houses. On the other hand, Panera doesn't have anything for miles. I think I'd rather get a sandwich at Native Roots anyway.

Panera does both company-owned sites and franchises.

Don't know which this was but perhaps a local franchisee could not get ultimate corporate approval for this site due to lack of immediately adjacent rooftops.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Panera does both company-owned sites and franchises.

Don't know which this was but perhaps a local franchisee could not get ultimate corporate approval for this site due to lack of immediately adjacent rooftops.
    That is what I was told also, that corporate wouldn't support it due to demographic indicators. They may be better off in the CBD, then they'd get the best of both worlds. Kind of makes you realize that if anyone can figure out how to get retail and services onto Gaylord, you might see more interest as it could serve both the daytime work force and the growing residential at night.

8. Default Re: 8th & Oklahoma

The Starbucks works well in that location due to drive-thru, I'm sure, which LB doesn't have. The LB location is out of the way for daily commuters anyway, and a huge percentage of the Starbucks target market working downtown accesses the core and the OUHSC via that exit ramp of off 235 daily. This one would be built for cars more than people. Actually it looks like a great location for them.

I'd much rather have something local here anyway. Old School Bagels is what I'm hoping for.

As the Deep Deuce and Flatiron areas are not only the gateway to downtown and the Health Sciences Center but also the largest concentration of urban rooftops, it's the perfect spot for a breakfast place.

I'm sure one will come very soon.

11. Default Re: 8th & Oklahoma

Disclaimer: I'm no fan of Starbucks and would personally much prefer local. I'm still regularly bummed when considering the loss of my old haunt Uncommon Grounds. I'm only saying that if I were a Starbucks real estate person trying to find the perfect spot for a new location in the downtown OKC area, that location would be high on my list. I'm sure they would hope for the area to the north to develop into a nice pedestrian-oriented area. That location, if it happens, would be a HIGH VOLUME drive-thru and drive-up place. Pedestrian business coming from a future surrounding development would be gravy.

Mmm...gravy...

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The Starbucks works well in that location due to drive-thru, I'm sure, which LB doesn't have. The LB location is out of the way for daily commuters anyway, and a huge percentage of the Starbucks target market working downtown accesses the core and the OUHSC via that exit ramp of off 235 daily. This one would be built for cars more than people. Actually it looks like a great location for them.
    Obviously it's a good location for them. I just brought up their other location as a contrast to Panera's corporate strategy.

Seems like an interesting location for a hotel to say the least. Its development will be entertaining none the less.

Thanks for all the updates today Pete!

So no more Panera downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    So no more Panera downtown?
    Not at this location.

Perhaps somewhere in BT or the CBD but I haven't heard anything specific other than this site being shot down.

What reason to shoot this site down wouldn't apply elsewhere downtown?

What reason to shoot this site down wouldn't apply elsewhere downtown?
    Possibly since it is outside of all the new development by a perceived distance. In other words, this area hasn't yet to start developing. Whereas just a few blocks over you have Deep Deuce exploding and Automobile Alley gaining some steam. Maybe they think this location is too premature for the exact placement.

I personally think it would be a great location with high volume car traffic off the highway headed into downtown and very close to all the rooftops. Maybe it's just not close enough for them?

I hope Panera puts in a location downtown somewhere though.

Don't forget there is also a Starbucks at 9th and Lee on the SE side of St. Anthony's.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Don't forget there is also a Starbucks at 9th and Lee on the SE side of St. Anthony's.
    But not with a drive through - see previous comments.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Possibly since it is outside of all the new development by a perceived distance. In other words, this area hasn't yet to start developing. Whereas just a few blocks over you have Deep Deuce exploding and Automobile Alley gaining some steam. Maybe they think this location is too premature for the exact placement.

I personally think it would be a great location with high volume car traffic off the highway headed into downtown and very close to all the rooftops. Maybe it's just not close enough for them?

I hope Panera puts in a location downtown somewhere though.
    From my experience working with retail locators here in Ohio on some projects, they're never anywhere close to that specific. They look at cities in 2-square mile chunks.

But all it takes is one. If you get one of these stubborn chains to come in, it sends a flashing signal.

From my experience working with retail locators here in Ohio on some projects, they're never anywhere close to that specific. They look at cities in 2-square mile chunks.
    Gotcha. Maybe they just aren't ready for downtown yet, then. Maybe in a few years when some more projects get finished and others get underway they might pull the trigger.

Retailers and restaurants almost always look at demographics in a 1-, 3- and 5-mile radius from a particular site.

Depending on the use, they also heavily consider traffic counts and ingress/egress.

And one thing that Starbucks in particular is going to be obsessed about, is being on the "going-to-work side of the road" so that people don't have to left-turn through traffic in the morning.

I think Starbucks and/or Panera should be allowed to do a drive thru here. I don't see a problem just because the site sort of transitions between a freeway and more established walkable neighborhoods. That said, it should be a well-disguised and landscaped drive thru, like the Bricktown McD's.

Thread Information