Widgets Magazine

Thread: New OSU Projects

Default New OSU Projects

2. Default Re: New OSU Projects

Ugly.

Default Re: New OSU Projects

oSu has come a long way since I was last there in '99!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    It has only begun developing the 100 acres for the Athletic Village. It would have been a lot further along, if the stock market didn't crash in 2008. But for now the huge new indoor football practice field is finished. OSU is no longer the only one in the Big 12 without one.

So has OU. Have you seen its new school of architecture? It's a good tribute to Bruce Goff, who was done wrong. While architecturally interesting, OSU's effort looks modest in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    So has OU. Have you seen its new school of architecture? It's a good tribute to Bruce Goff, who was done wrong. While architecturally interesting, OSU's effort looks modest in comparison.
    The outside of the architecture building is good, but the layout of the interior of the building leaves much to be desired.

New student housing plans here. ha, ha, Looks as imaginative as Bennett Hall: http://www.ksqarchitects.com/onBoard...p?pID=42&sID=4

I'm not sure the PAC is ugly or beautiful, probably somewhere in between. I'm not even sure if it's bold or conservative. I don't know how I feel about it, but I have seen those designs for the last two years. I think it will be a good compliment to continue redeveloping University Avenue, but I don't know how enduring the facility's design is, and I think that's important considering that the reason for this whole project is that the Seretean is 1960s junk.

They may want to consider divorcing the Georgian from the modern. I appreciate the Cowboy architectural tradition as much as anyone, but I don't think it works in the background with the glass curtain wall sweeping across the foreground.

Wait what?? You're putting OU's joke of an arch school up on a pedestal above OSU's?

University Ave. will surely be eventually extended a couple of blocks east to Duck St., so the south edge of OSU can have direct access from that busy street.

Surely you jest about OU's arch school. Don't know if Bruce Goff would judge the exterior design eccentric enough, though. But speaking as a non architect, the school's huge arch makes a bolder statement. Don't know what goes on inside as to the quality of the teaching.

New student housing plans here. ha, ha, Looks as imaginative as Bennett Hall: KSQ Architects
    Looks like Chesapeake's campus. Oh, but that's right, Chesapeake used Georgian architecture too. I think their campus would be a great OSU-OKC campus ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I'm not sure the PAC is ugly or beautiful, probably somewhere in between. I'm not even sure if it's bold or conservative. I don't know how I feel about it, but I have seen those designs for the last two years. I think it will be a good compliment to continue redeveloping University Avenue, but I don't know how enduring the facility's design is, and I think that's important considering that the reason for this whole project is that the Seretean is 1960s junk.

They may want to consider divorcing the Georgian from the modern. I appreciate the Cowboy architectural tradition as much as anyone, but I don't think it works in the background with the glass curtain wall sweeping across the foreground.

Wait what?? You're putting OU's joke of an arch school up on a pedestal above OSU's?
    Yeah, I agree about the Georgian colonial theme. This is a bit of a stretch to connect to rest of the campus. Of-course I was not crazy about what they did to the football stadium - too insular. I use to like it when I attended OSU, but it is being "over-done". But, when I got my graduate degree in Arch at OU, that campus was in the process of conformity - something that had happen at OSU decades earlier. Some good, some bad - such is the norm. Having attended both Arch. programs Spartan, the one thing I can tell you is if you are having fun - great, otherwise your kidding yourself.

12. Default Re: New OSU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by TAlan CB View Post
    Yeah, I agree about the Georgian colonial theme. This is a bit of a stretch to connect to rest of the campus. Of-course I was not crazy about what they did to the football stadium - too insular. I use to like it when I attended OSU, but it is being "over-done". But, when I got my graduate degree in Arch at OU, that campus was in the process of conformity - something that had happen at OSU decades earlier. Some good, some bad - such is the norm. Having attended both Arch. programs Spartan, the one thing I can tell you is if you are having fun - great, otherwise your kidding yourself.
    TB: When were you in the OSU BArch program?

On a related note:
    Oklahoma State football: Cowboys can finally head indoors

The new Sherman E. Smith Training Center will allow OSU football, as well as other teams, to escape the elements for practices.

Oklahoma State football: Cowboys can finally head indoors | News OK

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post

On a related note:

The new Sherman E. Smith Training Center will allow OSU football, as well as other teams, to escape the elements for practices.

Their indoor facility is very nice. I wish OU's facility looked nicer, particularly given it's location.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post

On a related note:

Possibly before you were born, they had just rebuilt the inside of the old Armory (the first time) hanging the pretty gold medallion. I attended OU 15 or so years later. I was lucky they were going through the rough years in their football program so the campus was more about curriculum than cheerleading. The graduate programs at OU were more diverse, (at the time) there were 3 basic tracts. One of the tracts was for students with non-arch. undergrad degrees (basically they had to take all under-grad classes, and attend Grad studio). In my studio group there were at least 3 OSU students. A couple of us had been around awhile and the other was right out of OSU. There were several students from programs all over the US - and the remaining half were either Chinese or Malaysian. The Chinese and Malaysin (Bosnian, etc.) were the most interesting. Not only had they been practicing architects in their own country, they were well accomplished - with large projects in their portfolio. The Chinese were from mainland and had designed and had built skycrappers, power-plants, banks, and performing art centers. Of-course this was at the beginning of the "boom" in China, so it was nothing compared to what is going on Today. One young lady was the daughter of a high-up party member and continue to wear her "gray-suit" the entire time (almost) she was there - though in the end there appeared color. In One memorable trip I took them to Dallas because they wanted to see Pei's work down there. Well, I remember Marcie (her "American" name) getting out next to Fountain Place and saying "Oh, so small". Wei just looked at me and said that Shanghi had so much bigger buildings, Marcie was expecting more since this was America.... put me in my place. I found that most were at OU because it was cheap and they wanted an "American Degree" in prep for world-wide certification standardization.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Their indoor facility is very nice. I wish OU's facility looked nicer, particularly given it's location.
    I agree. They built the garage next to the studium while I was there and did a good job with making it "fit-in" with the new neo-gothic campus motif. Then, they built that metal box next to the the pond. One step forward, one back - like I said earlier "some good, some bad". Over-all Borens administration has been the best thing to happen to OU in a long time, but it was his wife's idea to "clean up the campus". A fellow grad student from England was amused when the red telephone boxes starting appearing everywhere.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TAlan CB View Post
    I agree. They built the garage next to the studium while I was there and did a good job with making it "fit-in" with the new neo-gothic campus motif. Then, they built that metal box next to the the pond. One step forward, one back - like I said earlier "some good, some bad". Over-all Borens administration has been the best thing to happen to OU in a long time, but it was his wife's idea to "clean up the campus". A fellow grad student from England was amused when the red telephone boxes starting appearing everywhere.
    No doubt. I'm really glad Molly Shi pushed to beautify the campus. It was in need of some serious work and she's helped tremendously. I do think Boren's administration has been just what OU needed, but there are just these continual missteps where things will really be humming along and then boom, something that makes you wonder what the hell happened. Very strange.

Anyway, I visited OSU's campus recently and was very surprised at all the changes going on up there. It's very good to see that for Stillwater.

New addition

STILLWATER — Plans for a new state-of-the-art equine teaching center at Oklahoma State University got a big boost from a donor who wants to share her passion for horses and honor her late husband.

Rancher Linda Cline has made a significant contribution toward construction of the multimillion-dollar OSU Charlie Cline Memorial Equine Teaching Center, OSU Foundation officials have announced. Cline asked the amount of the donation be private.

The new equine center will replace the current animal science equine facility built in the 1980s, which no longer lends itself to “best teaching practices” encouraged by equine industry leaders.

The center will include a teaching barn with stalls for foaling mares, an indoor arena, classrooms, feed and tack rooms, a wash rack and treatment area. It also will provide space for classes, clinics, 4-H programs and other outreach opportunities that serve Oklahoma’s expansive equine industry.

- Donor's gift will help Oklahoma State University build new equine teaching center | News OK

Thread Information