Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

from the packet

5. Previous Actions
    On September 19, 2013, the Downtown Design Review Committee approved asix-story version of this same project. Based on the type of construction
    proposed, the Building Code limits the building height to four stories and the project had to be redesigned to satisfy that requirement. Accordingly, the
    parking garage has been lowered into the grade by about 1½ levels and the result is that none of the structured parking is visible above grade and all four
    stories above grade are retail or residential space. The original application back in September 2013 also included a proposal to relocate an existing billboard
    on the project site and integrate into the building as a potential roof sign. Since that time, discussions between the project applicant and the owner of the
    existing billboard have resulted in a solution where the billboard will stay mounted in the ground in its present location and the proposed structure will be built
    around it. Therefore, the exiting billboard is no longer a part of the project proposal and not listed as an Item for Consideration.

Blog Entries

I assume building code limiting it to four stories is because it is a stick structure. Is that correct?

^

Believe so.

That says "building code" and not "design requirements"; and of course, the concrete Aloft structure is higher than 4 floors and it's in the same design district.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    If that's the case (I have no reason to doubt you), how would the original version of this development have passed? Wouldn't it have been above the 60 feet limit? Particularly if it was 4 stories of housing over 2 stories of parking?
    Honestly, this is what I was told by a Real Estate Agent, Developer and an HOA, but I have never read the actual language of the restriction, nor do I know its source. So, maybe someone was just trying to sell me something (wait a sec, I know they were). It certainly looks like there's some sort of height limit, but Aloft would probably be an exception.

Personally, I kind of like low profile urban neighborhoods, as long as you got street frontage and some retail. I like looking at high rise clusters from a mile away, but I've always liked hanging / living in the more neighborhoody places of big cities.

Is there any more information about the proposed restaurant space? I have a hard time believing that three different restaurants would be okay with sharing one kitchen. So my thought is that there's a tenant already interested that will be within all three spaces..with each one being a different restaurant concept. I can't think of anything else that makes sense? Anyone know of any restaurants they have shared kitchens?

Fassler Hall and Dust Bowl (under construction in Midtown) will share a kitchen, but of course they are the same ownership.

Perhaps there will be a couple of different restaurants and one bar.

Can this project be redesigned?

9. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Other than the retail portion, I think the new renderings are a disappointment(See Steve's article for the new ones). Though it's hard to tell for sure, EIFS appears prevalent once again, and the design in general looks pretty ham-handed.

I think it's time for a moratorium on the faux stucco. It doesn't seem to be well suited to the oftentimes extreme climate of the midwest, nor long-term durability in general. I understand other cities have removed it from code (real concrete stucco only).

I love everything about the changes, however how on earth are 3 restaurants going to run an efficient business with a shared kitchen (inventory, loss prevention, and not creating chaos while sharing equipment and cooking different types of cuisine). I like the idea of efficiency, but don't see how it works in reality. Even if it is one operator that will lease all 3 spaces. What happens if a concept doesn't work out, or if the operator doesn't work out?

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    Other than the retail portion, I think the new renderings are a disappointment(See Steve's article for the new ones). Though it's hard to tell for sure, EIFS appears prevalent once again, and the design in general looks pretty ham-handed.

I think it's time for a moratorium on the faux stucco. It doesn't seem to be well suited to the oftentimes extreme climate of the midwest, nor long-term durability in general. I understand other cities have removed it from code (real concrete stucco only).
    That would be nice. No one has to repair the bricks in buildings in Bricktown, but LEVEL is completely repainting or whatever they do to their top three floors. How can that possibly be cost effective as compared to brick? And it's certainly not more appealing. Wait until all these buildings sell to an owner who doesn't care to keep up the exterior. I don't see stuff like this near downtown in the other cities I visit.

Blog Entries

What happened to all the people who were willing to be so excited about the Level and kept claiming their stucco was acceptable? Now, when it has had staining, disclosing, warping, cracking, etc, maybe they will admit it is a mistake. Everyone thought I was too critical. Fake stucco, through the wall ACs, and other cheap shortcuts will come back to haunt downtown. We should require sustainability and quality...and we all need to recognize what that is or isn't.

This is much improved, but will it feature hideous orange brick like its predecessor?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bulldozer1.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	937.2 KB 
ID:	9354

There is a bulldozer on the site moving dirt, and a couple other people there as well.

Was really wishing this was under construction by now. Glad to see movement again since demolition.

And now the trees have been bulldozed. They seem to have made real progress today.

They're pushing people around with a bulldozer? That's not safe.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    They're pushing people around with a bulldozer? That's not safe.

11/8/2014

The area is fenced off now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    The area is fenced off now.
    And of course the fence goes all the way to the street along Oklahoma, taking out an entire half-block of sidewalk. Why do they continue to do this on almost every downtown project?

22. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Because nobody tells them not to?

How are is pedestrian traffic in Deep Deuce these days?

24. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Because nobody tells them not to?
    Yeah. I asked the city once and this was their response:

@andrewmperry: .@cityofokc Why are construction projects in the downtown area allowed to block sidewalks? Other cities have scaffolding over the sidewalk.
    @andrewmperry: .@cityofokc Like in Deep Deuce at Mosaic site. People use those sidewalks.
    @cityofokc: @andrewmperry In most cases, sidewalks are closed for safety of pedestrians. 1/3
    @cityofokc: @andrewmperry Scaffolding is sometimes used when alt routes are not available and if the sidewalk to be closed is the only access point. 2/3
    @cityofokc: @andrewmperry There are sometimes safety concerns with scaffolding depending on the type of work that may be occurring in the area. 3/3 ^zn

So in other words, it would cost the developer more money to protect the pedestrians so they let them take the cheap route and close the sidewalk.

Thread Information