Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

What's wrong with walking across the street and using that sidewalk ?

Depends how wide the street is

Well, there are street lights on both intersections, don't see a problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Well, there are street lights on both intersections, don't see a problem here.
    I guess it's just kind of the thing where I see it as, what is the problem with just giving the peds a covered sidewalk out of convenience. They don't close the road as much as they close the sidewalks, so what is the issue with making the car lanes a foot or two narrower or reducing a lane(if more than one lane each way) to dedicated a walking path.

I think you have to remember that Bradshaw tore out the sidewalks on 3rd street when they leveled the south eastern brownstone lots, left it that way for months, didn't build anything there (because he had no approved plans), and then put sidewalks back in (not sure who paid for that). Soooooooo, it's clearly not a priority for him.

Also, the staging area used for Mosaic has a new fence and modular office unit. Looks like it's about to get serious.

7. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Fantastic idea Sid

No kidding, that is an excellent suggestion.

9. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Fantastic idea Sid
    +1

I think it's a HORRIBLE idea. And you all should too…that's the only way this horrible idea has a chance of occurring is everyone here thinks it's a grave mistake.

That's waaaaaaaay worse than putting a walkway beneath scaffolding. I mean, who would walk through shipping containers? pffff...

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    Lol. You guys are goobers.
    BTW, I think it's totally awesome. Shipping containers are the boxcar of the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    BTW, I think it's totally awesome. Shipping containers are the boxcar of the 21st century.
    Shipping Container Willie just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Default Re: Maywood Apartments (NE 4th & Oklahoma)

11/24/2014

Sweet

16. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    Here in Seattle a project used this approach which I really love.

Covered Pedestrian Walkways, Hoarding & Site Offices

I think that these are something that perhaps even the City would like to just have on hand. The containers themselves are cheap to buy (can pick them up for just a couple thousand dollars) and could be converted to be used this way with very little work. Mostly just removing the doors and adding some openings for natural light. More advanced setups could include industrial lighting that's already added and can be plugged in at the site.

Developers who don't build in an urban environment wouldn't need them often so they'd be kind of a waste. And the demand for them might not be enough for a company to survive just renting them out to contractors. So it looks like a classic example of how the local government could buy and store these and contractors can use them to protect the pedestrian without having to use scaffolding, construct their own, or divert pedestrians through a fenced detour. With all the urban growth happening and planned, I think it'd be not only a good investment but send a strong signal to pedestrians that they do in fact matter. I know I'd appreciate seeing these put up with a giant City of Oklahoma City logo on the side knowing that they cared enough to ensure there was a protected, convenient walkway.
    I could totally see this and definitely want to see this covered walkways at the Stage Center/Clayco developments (at least along Hudson and Sheridan/Reno streets) as well as the Preftakes block. Those will be MAJOR construction sites in pedestrianized area (particularly with the school right there.......).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Maywood Apartments (NE 4th & Oklahoma)

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    11/24/2014

That's a great pic of the OKC skyline

18. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

sure is, you can see all of the big 6 skyscrapers without any being totally blocked or dwarfed.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

The absolute best views were right across the street from Maywood Apts. I. Those views were unbelievable.

She's a pretty tall skyline now, so I am growing to prefer skyline shots from further out with more urban density included (like Bricktown, Deep Deuce, Midtown especially adds a lot of character to the skyline)

Because the plans have changed to four levels of apartments above ground and three levels of underground parking, the two small buildings along Walnut will have to be dismantled and reassembled as part of the process.

Credit to the developers for going to this extra step.

They are seeking approval to take this approach at the next Downtown Design Review Committee meeting on 12/18.

Walnut was just full on closed (at least southbound) along this block when I was heading to Johnnies last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Because the plans have changed to four levels of apartments above ground and three levels of underground parking, the two small buildings along Walnut will have to be dismantled and reassembled as part of the process.

Credit to the developers for going to this extra step.

They are seeking approval to take this approach at the next Downtown Design Review Committee meeting on 12/18.
    Why will they have to be removed from the site?

25. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Thread Information