Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

I really don't understand why this is always such a big deal. It's not like the blocked off area is a mile long. I understand the handicap side of this and it's inconvenient but it's not permanent. This is coming from a guy who takes the stairs instead of an elevator to stay in shape so maybe it's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    I really don't understand why this is always such a big deal. It's not like the blocked off area is a mile long. I understand the handicap side of this and it's inconvenient but it's not permanent. This is coming from a guy who takes the stairs instead of an elevator to stay in shape so maybe it's just me.
    it's not a huge deal, just common practice in other cities it seems

Yeah, really not a huge deal. Just a little annoying for people who are out and about to have to walk/run in the street. Especially with mosaic's construction zone being in such close proximity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Because nobody tells them not to?
    Shockingly, I was in NYC for the last month and virtually all the construction sites closed the adjoining sidewalk area. Guess nobody told them not to.

It is deeper than that. It is a fundamental issue of respecting pedestrian space and access.

In other walkable cities, the pedestrian takes 100% priority over any obstacle. If they have to shut a street a vehicle lane to preserve a sidewalk they will do it. If it's a simple issue like scaffolding overhead, they will do it. Here it's just easier to completely shut off pedestrian access. Who cares???

Here, sidewalks are a luxury. If they have to close one down, even temporarily...it's "oh well, use the other side or walk in the street." Pedestrians are an after thought in this city.

It's funny they say they are protecting peds. How so? By forcing them to walk in the street with drivers who don't give a damn about pedestrians? Trust the guys in the mega diesel trucks to not be douchers and "roll coal" on the pedestrians? Yeah, right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    It is deeper than that. It is a fundamental issue of respecting pedestrian space and access.

In other walkable cities, the pedestrian takes 100% priority over any obstacle. If they have to shut a street a vehicle lane to preserve a sidewalk they will do it. If it's a simple issue like scaffolding overhead, they will do it. Here it's just easier to completely shut off pedestrian access. Who cares???

Here, sidewalks are a luxury. If they have to close one down, even temporarily...it's "oh well, use the other side or walk in the street." Pedestrians are an after thought in this city.

It's funny they say they are protecting peds. How so? By forcing them to walk in the street with drivers who don't give a damn about pedestrians? Trust the guys in the mega diesel trucks to not be douchers and "roll coal" on the pedestrians? Yeah, right.
    In every city, like this? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	9490

Ever walk around NYC? I've been routed out into traffic countless times there. It's not an OKC thing, it's a city thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    Ever walk around NYC? I've been routed out into traffic countless times there. It's not an OKC thing, it's a city thing.
    Yes I have walked around NYC, I've always been routed into jersey barrier protected paths. Or scaffolding protecting paths. Or, even just some cones in the street.

I totally understand what you are saying here. OKC up until recently has placed very little value on pedestrian infrastructure and still has work to do. However, fencing off sidewalks in a construction zone like we see here isn't something unique to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    In every city, like this? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	9490
    You're on a roll Trollver...

Where did I say "Every city". In fact, the word "every" does not appear once in my post.

Good try, Trollver.

Perhaps I was looking at the wrong thing, but this is what I gathered.

This is related to a sidewalk closure: Street Works Manual?Chapter 3?Permits and Approvals

Blog Entries

You're on a roll Trollver...

Where did I say "Every city". In fact, the word "every" does not appear once in my post.

Good try, Trollver.
    i am no more trolling than someone who is trying to make issues over non-issues. Trolling is making statements in order to elicit a certain response. It isn't just that someone challenges a made statement.

13. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

PluPan, those are excellent examples of how it can be done.

14. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

My experience here in downtown Denver, a very walkable area, is that where sidewalk traffic is heavy, they will put in scaffolding and pedestrian tunnels. In most all other cases, they will block the sidewalk. Ran into a closed sidewalk on 2nd street through Cherry Creek North, a very walkable retail area. So, I'm sorry, but pedestrians DON'T take 100% priority. I believe you saw cases in NYC where the sidewalks were closed, too, printed above.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    My experience here in downtown Denver, a very walkable area, is that where sidewalk traffic is heavy, they will put in scaffolding and pedestrian tunnels. In most all other cases, they will block the sidewalk. Ran into a closed sidewalk on 2nd street through Cherry Creek North, a very walkable retail area. So, I'm sorry, but pedestrians DON'T take 100% priority. I believe you saw cases in NYC where the sidewalks were closed, too, printed above.
    This was the case in Charlotte as well.

It's understandable that they block the sidewalk near the Maywood Apartments though and they probably would in most other mid-sized cities. In high-pedestrian areas though like Bricktown or Midtown, I wish they would start thinking of the pedestrians. The norm here is to block the sidewalk no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    This was the case in Charlotte as well.

It's understandable that they block the sidewalk near the Maywood Apartments though and they probably would in most other mid-sized cities. In high-pedestrian areas though like Bricktown or Midtown, I wish they would start thinking of the pedestrians. The norm here is to block the sidewalk no matter what.
    It's been a while but the last time I walked by the construction area for Brickopolis in Bricktown there was a blocked area out in the street for pedestrians.

17. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Yes, the developer and contractor both have been pretty conscientious about keeping that open, despite needing to take not only the sidewalk but the entire southbound lane for cranes and equipment. Helps that the street is overly wide, but still, props to them.

Blog Entries

What is the official policy or code in the city?

19. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

There is none that I am aware of. I think that is a big part of the problem. Specifying open sidewalks or a protected pedestrian walkway should be a part of the permitting process. The Brickopolis construction us a good example because no protected walkway would force walkers to cross jaywalk twice on a wide, too-fast street between Wanda Jackson and Flaming Lips Alley if they were traveling between points on the west side of Mickey Mantle.

Blog Entries

Is part of the problem the fact there is no sidewalk their now? At Brickopolis there is a sidewalk and proven pedestrian traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Is part of the problem the fact there is no sidewalk their now? At Brickopolis there is a sidewalk and proven pedestrian traffic.
    Not sure where you're talking about but yes, there is a sidewalk along Oklahoma. Of course there isn't as much pedestrian traffic as in Bricktown, but it is still an urban neighborhood. I just don't understand why they need to include that extra three feet inside the fence and force pedestrians into the street.

Quote Originally Posted by GoThunder View Post
    Not sure where you're talking about but yes, there is a sidewalk along Oklahoma. Of course there isn't as much pedestrian traffic as in Bricktown, but it is still an urban neighborhood. I just don't understand why they need to include that extra three feet inside the fence and force pedestrians into the street.
    Because the city does not care, the developer probably isn't even thinking about it, and the contractor is just doing what the city requires and the developer wants.

Blog Entries

Since we expect these urban projects to be built out close to the street, why is anyone surprised that means the safety barrier would extend out to the curb? You certainly don't want pedestrians close to the actual work going on. Whether you re-route them or not is a separate issue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoThunder View Post
    Yes, I stand corrected...there is a sidewalk there.

The only way around the sidewalk issue is to erect a covered walkway, which is an expense I'm sure the developers are happy not to incur.

There is certainly no requirements for them to keep the sidewalk open. That would have to change at the code level before there was any real change in this issue.

Thread Information