Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Blog Entries

Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Which is what some of us have been saying for awhile. You can't really shortcut the process and demand height. Do the infill and make land scarce, increasing the value, and force (as in market force) more valuable buildings to be built on them to justify the investment. All in all, we are following a pretty predictable path.

Why did they go away from the pitched roof? I actually kind of liked it in this context.

^ I like the look of it.

Looks like the Courtyard by the Chk arena. Reminds me of some of the apartments/condos in Santa Monica, CA.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Why did they go away from the pitched roof? I actually kind of liked it in this context.
    Good eye. I didn't realize it had been removed in the newer renderings. I kind of liked it too, but the new renderings look fine as well.

2/3/14 from Metro:

They are busy removing the concrete pad from that lot right now.

The site appears to be supportive of Mick

Still wondering where they will stage materials for this site. The RedRock owned property east of the pump station is newly asphalted and completely empty again.

I thought I had posted about this before... But I don't see that post anymore.

East of the Brownstones?

10. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Northwest corner of 4th and Oklahoma.

Just learned the reason for the delay is finalizing some issues with HUD.

They plan to re-start in June.

As ugly as Maywood 1 turned out, maybe it's time for the developers to take a time out and regroup before launching into another development.

There have been trucks and people on site for a couple days. Might be signs of life.

Yep, dirt should start moving very soon.

The plans for this project has been substantially re-worked and submitted for design approval.

The original design showed 4 floors of residential over two levels of parking. The reviews plans now show 3 levels of subterranean parking with four levels of apartments above.

The two small historic buildings on Walnut will still be retained and integrated into the larger project. Note in the first site plan below that this entire Walnut Avenue facade is dedicated for three separate restaurants with a shared kitchen.

Also, the overall design and architecture seems to be completely the same as before. See the article at the top of the page; the original renderings and plans are those in color.

Blog Entries

The restaurant space might make the wait worth it. I was worried about 4th being dead but this will help.

If we can get some retail/residential on the NE corner of Walnut/4th - this entire area of DD will go from dead in the water to a lively corner. The entire 2nd st and Walnut corridor with Aloft/Native Roots/DD Apartments is a major activity spot. Giving people a place to go turns out to be a good plan.

This looks to be a nice improvement from what I can tell. I think Phase 1 was kind of a disappointment, but this seems to be better. I like the underground parking and the restaurant space was a good call. I don't think the Metropolitan has any restaurant and retail space, so it makes sense to try and reach that market. If the triangle gets going, Deep Deuce as a whole will be that much better. A real urban neighborhood in OKC.

One of the things this does is to change the street level on 4th and on Oklahoma to living units rather than parking garage.

We've seen how having the parking as the first two levels at Maywood Apartments has killed any sort of street interaction.

While this was always going to be better along Walnut, now the other two street frontages will be more active as well.

Big improvement. Now let's get it built.

HangryHippo Guest

I love the street life improvements they've added, but am disappointed it's another 4 story box from ground level. Will we get a developer that can do something else besides 4 story boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    I love the street life improvements they've added, but am disappointed it's another 4 story box from ground level. Will we get a developer that can do something else besides 4 story boxes?
    I believe 60 feet is the limit for DD, so you're not going to get much more than 4 stories there. I don't know how far north that restriction goes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    Between the additional cost and the potential for market saturation, I don't think you're going to see over 4 stories in DD. It's set to be a nice, modestly dense neighborhood.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I believe 60 feet is the limit for DD, so you're not going to get much more than 4 stories there. I don't know how far north that restriction goes though.
    If that's the case (I have no reason to doubt you), how would the original version of this development have passed? Wouldn't it have been above the 60 feet limit? Particularly if it was 4 stories of housing over 2 stories of parking?

Thread Information