Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

I thought that was a distant Cotter Tower on first glance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	12098

They're moving very quick on these, I'm sure the good weather has helped.

Looks like steel going up for the retail side.

^

Thanks for the photo.

Remember, this is where they were supposed to rebuild the historic structures that were demolished.... Looks that that steel will be for the far south section which was always going to be new construction.

Took these last week and forgot to post.

Name:	IMG_8089.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	12199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8090.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	12200

^

Thanks for the photos.

They are really moving now.

From Saturday.

Views:	126 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	12315

Views:	84 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	12316

Wow, that place has really come up fast!

This is really shaping up to be quite a formidable structure. Note in the second photo you can see windows going in to the right.

14. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

it looks great and especially the pan shot that shows more of DD. Wow, that is definitely Oklahoma's densest urban residential neighborhood - and to think more development still to come and nearby. OMG.

I do have one question though - considering we're in the middle of Tornado Alley, is there any concern about so many multi-family buildings being constructed from wood (stick built)? I personally thought OKC of all places would have code requiring stronger materials for the wind.

It's a little ironic considering the tornados that have hit the suburbs (and destroyed most stick built structures - and even some that were concrete); ironic that these are not required to be stronger.

I like the development - but could someone in the know provide insight?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I don't think any existing building codes in this state are due to tornado possibilities.

This particular development has an underground parking garage that would no doubt be used as a storm shelter.

Also, on my tour of the Frank yesterday, they pointed out a safe room / storm shelter as part of that project.

If anyone would be screwed in the event of a big tornado downtown, it would be me. On the third floor of a 100 year-old building with absolutely nowhere to go. That is pretty much the case for most these historic apartment renovations.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

If anyone would be screwed in the event of a big tornado downtown, it would be me. On the third floor of a 100 year-old building with absolutely nowhere to go. That is pretty much the case for most these historic apartment renovations.
    At least you would be the first person to know about it considering your practically have a tornado siren on your patio.

Pete, you're always welcome to hunker down in our basement.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Pete, you're always welcome to hunker down in our basement.
    Haha... Thanks!

I'm honestly more worried about earthquakes these days. That last bigger one really shook my entire apartment.

Another angle from Friday.

Views:	144 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	12385

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    it looks great and especially the pan shot that shows more of DD. Wow, that is definitely Oklahoma's densest urban residential neighborhood - and to think more development still to come and nearby. OMG.

I do have one question though - considering we're in the middle of Tornado Alley, is there any concern about so many multi-family buildings being constructed from wood (stick built)? I personally thought OKC of all places would have code requiring stronger materials for the wind.

It's a little ironic considering the tornados that have hit the suburbs (and destroyed most stick built structures - and even some that were concrete); ironic that these are not required to be stronger.

I like the development - but could someone in the know provide insight?

Im pretty sure there are new regulations adopted in 2014 for Moore. It's not related to the type of structure (I.e wood or concrete), but rather the types of anchors and how everything needs to come together. I'm not really well versed in that area, but I know things did change. That being said, there's absolutely no way to build something that can withstand an EF5 tornado. Even partially above ground shelters were moved in my neighborhood. The only solution is underground bunkers, haha.

This particular development has an underground parking garage that would no doubt be used as a storm shelter.

Also, on my tour of the Frank yesterday, they pointed out a safe room / storm shelter as part of that project.

Do what we do: Go to the downtown underground. There's television coverage offering enough time to get there from where you live. Although our house is built of concrete and rebar, I figure you can't be too careful.

I wish I had a picture, but what are they doing with the billboard on the east side (on Walnut)? I noticed yesterday that they are building around it and it is now "inside" the building. I would assume they would have already taken it down if it wasn't going to stay. It looks kind of funny right now.

24. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

I believe it is going to stay just like the one they built around for the metropolitan.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I believe it is going to stay just like the one they built around for the metropolitan.
    Oh. I guess I didn't notice that one.

Thread Information