Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Such a historic accomplishment!

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    The funny thing is that, in this case, it's not like those buildings prevented the development in any way. It was even designed with them there. This was just some bizarre bait and switch, that probably didn't even need to happen in the first place. It's almost as if he wants to give the neighborhood the bird on purpose.
    Ya think? The neighborhood association blocked several substandard plans Ron Bradshaw had for some of the land he owned in the neighborhood. I don't think he likes his "neighbors" very well.

My daughter went to school in Winston-Salem, NC and one of our favorite stores was comprised of two old gas stations connected by a glass breezeway. It was a lovely little store and likely looked very much like these two buildings pre-remodel.

Some interesting old pics found by Steve. From looking at the cars, it was probably in the latter part of the 50's.

What Could Have Been | News OK

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Some interesting old pics found by Steve. From looking at the cars, it was probably in the latter part of the 50's.

Aaaaaaand someone's going to say you're acting like these buildings are the Skirvin in 3... 2... 1...

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post

wow, two tiny buildings were torn down. An old picture of what could have been. So sad. Moving on to bigger and better things now.

Walnut is reopened, but the "repaving" they did of the spots they tore up, are horrible. Very uneven.

7. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maywoodphase2.JPG 
Views:	639 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	10055  

^^makin' progress!

Ugh

Seems like that's as deep as they're digging. Looks like 1-2 stories of underground parking, not 3. I may be off on height.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    Seems like that's as deep as they're digging. Looks like 1-2 stories of underground parking, not 3. I may be off on height.
    Well if that truck backed up to the street the top would be at street level…so that looks like 1 level underground to me.

Great job on them putting up a jersey barrier to preserve the sidewalk on 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Great job on them putting up a jersey barrier to preserve the sidewalk on 4th.
    The original intention probably wasn't for pedestrians. It was probably for keeping cars from going down...

Blog Entries

This reminds me of the first project I was on in Beijing years ago. It was a high rise with bamboo curtaining surrounding it and scaffolding. I asked the construction manager at the site if it was for safety. I was told, no. They weren't as concerned about workers falling as they were of losing tools that might fall. LOL.

Some video of construction from yesterday:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	10361

It's a much deeper hole now, enough for the 3 stories of underground parking I suspect.

3/15/2015

That's a lot of red dirt. Thanks for the update Kerry.

That hole is a lot deeper than it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    That hole is a lot deeper than it looks.
    Did you count how many people were there using it?

Lol - 3.

Is this location so much higher topographically than ClayCo, OG&E or the Convention Center that it's smart to build underground parking here, but not the others?

I don't know if it matters but elevation difference is probably 50 feet or more. However, I think they are building underground parking to get around building codes that would require concrete instead of stick built. Taller than 4 or 5 stories they have to use concrete, but if they put parking underground they can build with wood.

25. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Is this location so much higher topographically than ClayCo, OG&E or the Convention Center that it's smart to build underground parking here, but not the others?
    Yes. The difference in elevation is considerable. The other projects you mention are river bottom, and the water table is about 15-20' below the surface at a maximum. For example, the lake at MBG is essentially ground water. This is what you would have to contend with when going underground there; not only during construction but also AFTER construction, using continuous pumping for the life of the building. Go check out the Devon Tower thread and see how quickly they ran into the water table, and note that they installed pumps that will effectively run forever.

Deep Deuce, OTOH, is perched on a hill overlooking downtown. It's hard to detect or notice unless you are looking for it.

Thread Information