Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Maywood Apartments Phase II

1. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Those buildings were a peice of crap anyways. They were just shacks, wtffff.
    Sort of like this place?

2. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Or this one?

3. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

But seriously, if you want to talk about a **** place that should be torn down, I nominate this one...it's terrible. No future whatsoever for a place like this:

Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Sort of like this place?

Great example. Mort's was one of my favorite bars in Wichita. Very similar building. Those little buildings would have provided so much character to the apartments and area. Huge failure and pretty shady.

5. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Mort's is an old Phillips 66, and this one was a Conoco, but EXTREMELY similar.

Cool. Those two smaller buildings are insignificant and I don't see any reason to keep them. I'm sure if someone was proposing a giant residential development the block where the Rise and Pump Bar currently are, there would be a completely different tone. But there isn't. I love The Rise and I love the Pump Bar; I'm glad they weren't torn down. But those have absolutely nothing to do with the two tiny ass buildings in Deep Deuce that no one will even remember in a couple years from now.

For anyone who is about try and use the Preftakes block against me you can forgot about it because those buildings are much larger and much more significant than these two shacks that were torn down. Sorry, but I don't see what the big deal is about two small buildings me and I promise you plenty of other people probably didn't even know were there to begin with. I get that preservation can add charm to an area, but these were two small, tiny shack that didn't even take up 10% of the property.

With The Pump Bar, Pizza Gusto, The rise, and the other buildings on that lot, they already had multiple buildings to renovate. If that gas station was the only thing on that lot and the Rise, Pizza Gusto, and the rest of the buildings weren't there and literally, the only building on that lot was the gas station, we probably be looking at an entirely different scenario.

Buildings that small probably wouldn't be very difficult or expensive to rebuild.

My guess is once they started doing the work they found out there was just no possible way they could integrate them into their plan. PluPan is right. Many people probably didn't even know those buildings where there to begin with and I doubt anybody will be lamenting their loss a year from now.

^
    Thank you.

This guy said he was going to do one thing and did another. That means he is LYING. Why anyone is okay with this is beyond me.

Of course maybe we are all just jumping to conclusions, that they really are going to reassemble these with the bricks they smashed to pieces. Maybe that have a team assembled at the dump supergluing everything back together right now!

Why are there so many accusations on this board without anyone really knowing the truth behind the scenes? Just a question.

Kevin, I was just about to way that. Do we even know yet why they were torn down? It very well could have been a mistake. How about we wait and see why they were torn down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maywood water.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	932.4 KB 
ID:	9916

It looks like the backhoe may have hit a waterline. *Pure speculation* The water is no longer spraying like this.

Blog Entries

That's what you get when you use a backhoe for a delicate dismantling operation... destroyed buildings and busted water lines... another reason we shouldn't cut corners... :-P

Cool. Those two smaller buildings are insignificant and I don't see any reason to keep them.
    Significance in not predicated on size. Those two buildings were almost exactly like what you just said you were happy to see saved. They had every bit as much potential to add character to the area (or really, represent the character that used to be there) as those other buildings have done. Why they suddenly become insignificant and lose all potential of contributing, just because a large rather unimaginative apartment complex is being built behind them, I have no idea.

I think that's been the most fascinating thing about discussing demolition with some on the board. You can show examples of the exact same thing done somewhere else, even in the very same city, and they will tell you it's different. I've seen Star Wars. That stuff doesn't work on me.

The funny thing is that, in this case, it's not like those buildings prevented the development in any way. It was even designed with them there. This was just some bizarre bait and switch, that probably didn't even need to happen in the first place. It's almost as if he wants to give the neighborhood the bird on purpose.

More info from Steve:

Promises, Demolition and First National Center | News OK

Promises also were made to preserve the 1920s era former Conoco station at NE 3 and Walnut, and to even incorporate the buildings into the second phase of the Maywood Apartments. But the developer who made the promise, Ron Bradshaw, is no longer involved in the project, and the lead developer is now NE Construction, a Texas company led by Charlie Nicholas that built the first Maywood complex and also The Edge apartments in Midtown.

The developer went to Downtown Design Review Committee recently and got approval for "disassembling" the buildings and rebuilding the facades with the salvaged materials. And what followed was a curious Christmas Day demolition.

I spoke to Luke Harry with NE and he promises any salvaged materials that can be re-used will be used in the reconstruction. But in talking with him, I got the impression even this is uncertain.

"The plan was to keep them," Harry said. "We resubmitted the application and they gave us permission to take it down and reuse what could be used in the reconstruction of the buildings. That's the best we could do with the shape the buildings were in. They were in pretty bad shape. Inside, they were just a shell."

This was the letter from the head of the development company as part of their application, which received approval:

Blog Entries

If they can call that keeping the existing structure, so can Hines for using the bus station bricks and such.

16. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Pretty sure they busted a pipe today. There was water going everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Significance in not predicated on size. Those two buildings were almost exactly like what you just said you were happy to see saved. They had every bit as much potential to add character to the area (or really, represent the character that used to be there) as those other buildings have done. Why they suddenly become insignificant and lose all potential of contributing, just because a large rather unimaginative apartment complex is being built behind them, I have no idea.

I think that's been the most fascinating thing about discussing demolition with some on the board. You can show examples of the exact same thing done somewhere else, even in the very same city, and they will tell you it's different. I've seen Star Wars. That stuff doesn't work on me.

The funny thing is that, in this case, it's not like those buildings prevented the development in any way. It was even designed with them there. This was just some bizarre bait and switch, that probably didn't even need to happen in the first place. It's almost as if he wants to give the neighborhood the bird on purpose.
    I'm sorry, but I'm just not understanding how two very small buildings could impact the area to a point that would warrant the outcry on this thread about them being demo'd. I get what you're saying, but these two buildings took up an extremely small portion of the lot and they wouldn't have even been noticed a midst this much larger structure; I will say I do like small details though.

I would just like to know why they were torn down though when the developer said he was going to keep them. I wonder if it was a mistake or what.

Clearly this is going to end up like Hines is doing with the parking garages: include a few materials in the new structure and call it good.

I'm sorry, but I'm just not understanding how two very small buildings could impact the area to a point that would warrant the outcry on this thread about them being demo'd.
    I know. Examples were posted. Probably no other way to show it, and if you don't see it, then so be it. No one is exaggerating the impact of the buildings. Just trying to show how they could be a very cool aesthetic element to the area and be a small shout out to what the district once was. The funny thing is that you said people will forget the two buildings in a couple of years (even though you can find pictures of deep deuce buildings torn down a long time ago around town), the thing is that tearing them down makes the development itself more forgettable.

It just would have been really cool. That's all. It was going to be a great nod to the old neighborhood. As it is, someone either effed up or someone pulled a fast one. But what they did is not what was approved.

I understand that.

I would really be interested to see why they were demo'd. Please keep this updated if anyone finds out why.

The part that stuck out to me more than anything in that article is that Bradshaw is no longer a part of the project? When did this happen?

Those buildings were a peice of crap anyways. They were just shacks, wtffff.
    You will realize in a few years the error in your judgment. I too used to wield a growth machine sort of view.

There are nuances, small and huge. The huge nuances aren't really nuances, which is way some of us go crazy upon realization.

I understand that.

I would really be interested to see why they were demo'd. Please keep this updated if anyone finds out why.
    There is no reason. Things are senseless. These buildings were demo'd bc the developers could. The Brewers used to do this, too. The city even does it. Welcome to the Big Friendly.

Looks like the "dismantling and storage" is complete:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150102_143951[1].jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	9924

Thread Information