Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moore Medical Center Damage

Default Moore Medical Center Damage

Has anyone heard if the Moore Medical Ctr will be stripped down to the metal frame and rebuilt or is it too damaged and will have to be torn down completely and rebuilt or never rebuilt ?

Also any word on the Camden Shopping ctr on 19th close to Santa Fe? when I drove through there on Saturday I couldn't tell if the structure was still sound or if it will have to be torn completely down and rebuilt ?

Also has anyone been in contact with Jim Evans agency? he was my Insurance guy with State Farm and there building was just north of Tinker credit union and is pretty much demolished from the storm.

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Moore Medical Center Damage

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie40 View Post
    Has anyone heard if the Moore Medical Ctr will be stripped down to the metal frame and rebuilt or is it too damaged and will have to be torn down completely and rebuilt or never rebuilt ?

Also any word on the Camden Shopping ctr on 19th close to Santa Fe? when I drove through there on Saturday I couldn't tell if the structure was still sound or if it will have to be torn completely down and rebuilt ?

Also has anyone been in contact with Jim Evans agency? he was my Insurance guy with State Farm and there building was just north of Tinker credit union and is pretty much demolished from the storm.
    I wondered this myself. Doesn't Norman Regional own the complex? Perhaps they'll use this as a chance to consolidate in Norman?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I wondered this myself. Doesn't Norman Regional own the complex? Perhaps they'll use this as a chance to consolidate in Norman?
    Yes Norman Reginal owns MMC so with Norman reginal as close as it is they may decide rebuilding the Moore hospital is too cosly. I dont know how much Business the Moore hospital had but wouldn't be more than the 2 Norman hospitals I wouldnt imagine.

Just me thinking aloud. If I were king for a day of NRHS, I'd look at the Moore site as a location for a new specialty center, rather than consider a rebuild scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Just me thinking aloud. If I were king for a day of NRHS, I'd look at the Moore site as a location for a new specialty center, rather than consider a rebuild scenario.
    Yeah they may do something like that or clear and sell the property.

Could this be a second chance for Integris? Moore was in bankruptcy when acquired by Norman six years ago for $34 million. Integris was second at $32 million, and its CEO Stan Hupfield said, "We are hopeful they (Norman) will serve the citizens of Moore with the kind of care they deserve. We will continue to look for ways Integris can serve that community as well. We are pleased that the community of Moore will continue to have a hospital and we look forward to serving the Moore community through our clinics and hospitals."

I'm not sure that a specialty hospital makes sense. Obamacare in trying to curtail the use of specialty centers, and cutting back reimbursements for their services.

Whatever they need to do, they need to do it quick, I don't like the idea of a city with 60,000 residents not having a close emergency room to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Whatever they need to do, they need to do it quick, I don't like the idea of a city with 60,000 residents not having a close emergency room to go to.
    Norman or Southwest Medical Ctr. those are likely our choices for now and from now on.

Dan Mcguinness had a Facebook post stating even though they made it through the entire strip center will be bulldozed. Said they will be back just not sure of the location

Yeah, the liquor store to the left of Dan McGuinness looks absolutely terrible. Can't imagine the strip mall has any structural integrity left because of it.

On Moore Medical Center, FYI many of the doctors that had offices in there have already relocated to the Norman Regional HealthPlex on Tecumseh Road.

I mean with Norman Regional and even OU Medical somewhat close I don't see the need. There is also a St. Anthonys off of I44. Maybe do an urgent care with some emergency room capabilities, but anything serious I wouldn't mess with that hospital anyways. Leave it to the big boys who have the proper equipment. I know with the Integris in Yukon I've heard of too many horrors of Doctors getting in over their head because they weren't staffed adequately and didn't have the proper equipment. This even happened to a family member. Since then it's been known as the butcher shop.

I got a text from state farm saying Jim Evans is relocated to 515 Telephone road

13. Default Re: Moore Medical Center Damage

In the Transcript today: Officials unsure if Moore Medical Center will be rebuilt » Headlines » The Norman Transcript

The gist...they are still waiting to see if they need to do a complete rebuild or repair the existing frame. For now everyone has been relocated either to the Porter campus, the Healthplex or other clinics.

They are dedicated to Moore, so I feel there will be a hospital or at least some facility there.

Something needs to be available to Moore residents. I live in east Moore, closer to Sooner, and nothing is close now. That extra 10 mins to have to drive to Norman for an emergency can determine life or death.

15. Default Re: Moore Medical Center Damage

HangryHippo Guest

I believe this will work out okay. Wasn't that hospital on financially shaky ground? Maybe they can build something a little smaller with more urgent services and let patients travel to the other regional facilities.

17. Default Re: Moore Medical Center Damage

Keep in mind that there are other ER options in the area...although none of them are super close. Places like the Heart Hospital on 240. And also remember that until MMC, Midwest City was the ER for Moore. Midwest City ambulances covered the area and transported to Midwest Regional. Moore wasn't at large as it is now either. With the growing population, i'm sure you'll see something there, but it probably won't be what MMC was. Remember when Schuster built MMC (which was doomed from day 1 with him in charge), it was meant to be independant (The ER was contracturally staffed by Midwest City physicians/nurses) so it covered more services than a new center will.

What I would imagine the new center will be, is more ER like the free-standing centers. It will have limited care but can cover most ER visits. Anything major would then tranfer to Healthplex or Regional. You'll probably see a lore more Outpatient type work and i would bet more physician offices rather than services. Lab work facilities, maybe an MRI or something like that....but you will not see a full-service hospital there with the Healthplex so close (from the same owners). If Integris owned it, it would be a different story. But since Norman owns it, you won't see them creating competition for their own facilities. I'm not dissing Norman here, but by being owned by them, it simply alters what the purpose of the place will be.

I, for one, hope that they take a more vertical approach and sprawl it out less.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I believe this will work out okay. Wasn't that hospital on financially shaky ground? Maybe they can build something a little smaller with more urgent services and let patients travel to the other regional facilities.
    I agree.

Got this from one of the local hospitals.
    Attached Files Attached Files

As a Moore resident, I don't think there needs to be a full scale hospital in Moore, but they need something like those mini St. Anthony's Healthplexes scattered around the metro. They need something for emergencies, with a population of over 60,000 and growing, this needs to be addressed, and the population of Norman is not getting any smaller.

HangryHippo Guest

Something like the St. Anthony healthplex is exactly what Moore needs. I couldn't think of it for my earlier but that's precisely what I had in mind. Moore shouldn't compete with the larger hospitals in OKC and Norman, but they need some sort of facility and one of those plexes would work.

The original Moore hospital (now the school admin building, that was also nearly wiped completely out) couldn't hang and even with the major growth of Moore after the '99 tornado the new medical center couldn't be profitable. Norman had to give it life support just so it would stay open and it nearly bankrupted them in doing so, right? I still can't understand why Norman opted to buy the MMC but personally I'd see this as a way for them while still saving face.

Sure somebody could put in a St Anthony type center but it's not like MMC was a major hospital, how different could it be?

I understand that MMC went on a hiring binge after NRH bought them. When they realized that this was unsustainable, cutbacks ensued and morale hit the floor.

Because MMC was financially unsuccessful both before and after the NRH acquisition, a different business model must be implemented if another group wants to enter this space. You know that the City of Moore and Moore Chamber are doing everything they can to make that happen.

Well the NRHS is committed to rebuild in Moore, good deal.

Moore Medical Center to be demolished | The Journal Record

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Well the NRHS is committed to rebuild in Moore, good deal.

Moore Medical Center to be demolished | The Journal Record
    That is a good deal...Wifey delivered both of our kiddos there...Well run hospital (non financially speaking)

Thread Information